Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 10:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Instructional - Sukui Nage

Sukui nage is a very seldom used throw. In it's original form it's not really much more than a demo technique. You'd almost never be able to catch some with it so it's pretty much useless. This version can be very effective and was my bread and butter throw when I was competing from about age 16-18. It is definately effective and most people don't even see it coming since it's fairly unorthodox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLGC1hAxO0

This video gives you a few views of the technique, two slow and the last at almost full speed. I'll try to walk you step by step through it now.

There are two entrys into this throw. I prefer to enter from a standard grip, one lapel, one sleeve. It's a bit trickier with more hand switches but it's more effective since it's not as obvious to your opponent what you're going to do. This is the entry demonstrated above. I'll go over the other in a bit.

So you start out in a standard grip. You pull hard with your lapel hand while circling backwards and into your opponent. The purpose of this is to try to put his weight onto his lead leg (which we're going to attack). This will prevent him from stepping backwards when we attack.

Once you've gotten your opponent to step forward you let go off your sleeve grip and transfer it to the other sleeve and pull forward and down, bringing your opponent further onto the lead foot. At the same time you release your lapel grip and slide that hand down to grab the pant leg of the lead leg. You want to kind of cup around the leg to do it but grab the pants as well for a more secure grip. It's important to bend your knees and try to slide down your opponent's body while doing this rather than bending forward at the waist. You want to maximize your body contact as you load your opponent for the throw.

Once you have the leg gripped you slide your closest leg in behind his knee, trying to place your knee cap behind his. Visualize throwing him over your knee. Once you've moved into him it's tiime to throw. You arch your back and pull up on his leg, throwing him backwards and over your leg. Use you head to help guide him down (this is very effective and something I actually didn't do very well in the demo, really plant your head on him).

Like I said, this is a technique I used a lot for awhile. It's tricky but once you load the guy up, there really isn't a good escape. The other entry is to do it from a distant position. Before he has a grip you cross grip to the sleeve and pull him forwards, entering directly from there. It's easier to do but it's kind of obvious what kind of motion you're going to do, even if they're not sure of the exact throw.

Be careful if you're going to practice this because you can throw people really, really hard and it's not the easiest breakfall in the world to take. Go easy and first and work the speed up once you've got some control. You really need to grip the pantleg for it to work. At a tournament back in the day I once ripped three pairs of a guy's pants trying to get him with this throw (don't buy cheap judo pants) which shows when most of the force of the throw is coming from.

Any questions or comments, feel free. If there's any judo stuff you guys would like me to show or questions, just PM me and I'll try to help you out. I have a somewhat unorthodox style and do a lot of leg picks and te-waza but my basics are solid to. I'm going to try to keep posting some judo techniques though.
    Last edited by Judobum; 6/14/2007 10:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:36am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Judobum. The version shown in YouTube is a very gentle form, but no doubt effective take-down. I was only shown the classical style and it is not a fun ukemi to take (the classical style). I much prefer to take the ukemi from the way you show it.

GMW

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any video of this in competition, I have a problem visualizing the setup.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 1:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clip. I'm going to have to start playing with this.

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 5:35am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Towards the end it looked similar to a throw I know as "hikage", a tani-otoshi variant. There was a black belt at our club who was very good with it, it was his tokui-waza and he caught some skilled people with it. Is "hikage" a name that rings any bells for anyone? I think it's slightly less high-amplitude.

Having been hit by hikage a number of times, I can see how this one would work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 6:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've drilled this in class but in our last lesson before we broke for summer but I never got the chance to try it in Randori. One thing I can add as a retard is you need to make sure you go in front of the guys arm and behind his knee, not behind the guys arm and in front of his knee. I was thrown by someone like this the first time we tried the technique and it locked my arm out as he fell on it, nearly damaged it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've headbutted a few partners with this one. Which makes it that much more spectacular.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Is "hikage" a name that rings any bells for anyone?
    No, but you'll be glad to know that it means "fire shadow".

I've used a single leg version of this as a desperation reversal (grab the leg reversed then sit out hard), and it's gotten me out of some tight spots but you are so fucked if your opponent can reverse omoplata.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 5:01pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I occasionally use a similar technique but using this grip.

Doing it this way I don't have to fish for the cross grip. People always seem to get jumpy whenever I do that. Also, this grip lets you put a ton of weight on your opponents front leg.

Like Yrkoon9 said, you really have to be carefull about that headbutt. Would make a nice self defense combo though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Is there any video of this in competition, I have a problem visualizing the setup.
    Unfortunately I don't have any comp footage since it was quite awhile ago when I used the technique. If you look at the last throw in the demo it gives you an idea. Basically from a lapel grip you want to get the guy moving towards you, then switch your hands and slide into the throw while his weight is on his lead foot.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast