Page 92 of 222 FirstFirst ... 42828889909192 93949596102142192 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 11:19am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone notice that each and every blog entry on the fsd site, includes an "offer" to purchase something. Are people that stupid?

BamAngel, still hoping you are on the pagoda pilgrimage to ask jp about his "sordid history"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for sure, it's amazing how someone can turn everything into a sales pitch. i haven't checked the website lately, with the "back door" and all.

looks like that BAMangel troll/sockpuppet/ladyphoenix-alter-ego have left these boards... so much for having a discussion with current fangers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How bout looking at something new regarding their business practices. How about opening fsd schools. Why are all the new owners partners with a family member .. let me see open a school.. cost you say 50k .. you pay 25k and the family pays 25k ( really common as if the family member is going to pay 25k ) but that is the deal they do. So for 25k you get to open a school with a family member teach all the classes and give 50% of the earnings back .. where do I sign up. No wonder all the new schools opening are owned by younger guys they have absolutely no clue what they are getting into . I am actually questioning if their frandchise model even is legal with the fanchise act of Ontario . ( which is in place to proctect poeple against scams like the above mentioned )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 2:47pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your points are well made Chump. I suspect the partnering with a family member is more to give the franchisee the impression that "they're in it together" (i.e. they're business partners).

Here's a memo to all new FSD franchisees and I really mean this: Keep ALL the paperwork and records associated with your purchase of a franchise. If any arrangements were done orally keep a detailed diary of the specifics (date, names etc). And finally this is very important! Keep a record of any projected sales figures for your franchise that were given to you prior to purchase.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 7:20am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd say your right but I really think its cause they've had previous owners leave them and open their own school or at least try to and this way they could remain control of it.. But JP in his infinite wisdom decided to own 50% and should have went past grade 6 cause he would have known that you'd need 51% to have a contol of the franchise. There is something said about having a good education.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 8:19am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chump
    i'd say your right but I really think its cause they've had previous owners leave them and open their own school or at least try to and this way they could remain control of it.. But JP in his infinite wisdom decided to own 50% and should have went past grade 6 cause he would have known that you'd need 51% to have a contol of the franchise. There is something said about having a good education.

Chump, can you tell us your source of information on this? Do you have direct experience with the scenario you outline above (are/were you a school owner)?

If you are a former FSD student, can you tell us your experiences and why you chose to leave?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 7:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Former student.. was for a while. It wasn't hard to get the information. They ( JP and Linda ) are so hungry for money you just have to inquire about a school and they are on you like flies on s***. As for my expiriences I was just tired of the holier than thou attitude that JP had. And the way that some of the Sifu's and instructors would treat him like a demi God .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 6:31am

Style: Jeet Kune Do / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fraud Shen Do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 6:35am

Style: Jeet Kune Do / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chump
    ...And the way that some of the Sifu's and instructors would treat him like a demi God .
    This is probably due to 'Father' issues most of these kids had/have, so having a authority figure replacement you seek approval from probably fills some deep traumatic need.

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 10:27am

Style: Former FSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine the 50% thing is for no other reason than Jacques wants to have his finger in all the pies. Plus, if there is a family member involved in all of the schools it gives them a fallback in case a prospective owner sees the light and decides to walk away from the organization. Instead of having to close the school, which would look really bad, they can continue on and just change the owner on record. I noticed a number of changes regarding owners of some of the schools. I wonder if people are dropping off?

As for Martin, of course people treat him, and his dad, as demi-Gods. It has been said before on here. They do a fabulous job of creating an environment that promotes that sort of hero worship. What do you hear about all the time there? You hear how amazing the sifus are. The sifus put on fabulous demonstrations. You get told that Martin is one of the best weapons masters in the world. Despite the denials from the Fang Shen Do camp, they are constantly impressing students with the idea that Fang Shen Do is superior to all other MA. The inculcation begins immediately. I remember oo-ing and aw-ing over the magic the sifus could do. I remember being told repeatedly that Fang Shen Do was so powerful and the techniques so dangerous that we weren't allowed to go to tournaments because too many people would get hurt. The standard I was given was that if you could last until you got your blue sash, then you would be able to beat people from any other MA at much higher belts. I used to boast about this sort of bullshit. If you know nothing about MA this is quite an experience. In addition, the costs are so high that you need to find something to believe in to justify what you are spending.

There were numerous times while I was a student with Fang Shen Do that I would overhear students talking in hushed tones about a sifu being overzealous in demonstrating a technique. On more than one occassion I called them out. I actually BELIEVED that the more the sifus liked and respected you, the harder they hit, trapped, choked, exerted joint pressure, etc on you. I figured it was a mark of pride. I called these students out and accused tehm of being weak. I mentioned these things to sifus thinking I was being loyal. Now I am just embarrassed at my stupidity. I understand the value of aliveness now versus the "stand here while I kick your ass to make myself look superior" that is shown by many (no, not all) of the sifus at Fang Shen Do. I think this is just one more way of fostering the magical attitude about Fang Shen Do. Quite honestly there were times that I figured they would pull out the magical Fang Shen Do teachings about fireballs.

Part of the unfortunate thing here on Bullshido, just as a general comment, is that most of the senior posters are extremely knowledgable regarding martial arts. That in itself is not a problem. The expectation from the more senior posters is that EVERYONE has the same level of knowledge. I think the reality is that most people who join up with a martial arts school haven't clue #1 about what they should be looking for or what they should expect. I didn't. I made a long expensive commitment...I mean mistake before figuring out that I was getting screwed. The Fang Shen Do people have this figured out - pretty logo, the martial group yelling at the end of class, SNAP and Journey - I mean who could want for more right? They exploit people's insecurities and make a lot of money doing it.
    Last edited by greenguy; 3/03/2008 10:36am at .