Check your PM's

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops read the
    Last edited by Pi Trader; 12/25/2007 8:36pm at .

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those intrested in another persons experience with Patenaude I too was involved in the school in the 80s and I was also in the school located on Catherine st. I only stayed 6 months (which is about as long as I could stand Patenaudes attitude problem). I remember one incident during a seminar at Hogs Back Park in Ottawa. I had mentioned that I followed some of the work of Jerry Robinson and his firm Health For Life. I mentioned that I was particularly intrigued with the punching style that they taught. Patenenaude mentioned to me that he taught what was known as the 'converging punch'. Well at this time my hands were at my sides and from nowhere he slaps me on the face and says"You want to play around?" I thought that he was demonsatrating the punch and I said "excuse me"? At that point he poked me in the solar plexes and slapped me again and said in a more firm tone "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AROUND??" Well at that point I realized that he was trying to pick a fight with me. I said "No" and he stormed off fuming with his wife Linda in hot persuit saying "Jaques, Jaques".

Well later on that day I inquired as to what I did to set him off. He said to me that I was feeding him and that I kept feeding him. Well needless to say I talked to John who was his best student at the time. He said that he let me off easy and that there was another incident that involved another student that just looked at him the wrong way resulting in Patenaude continually slapping him and beating on him. That did not suprise me. I remember sparring with John durring that seminar and in spite of his more than 5 years at the school he did not trap my hands once. He did not use any chi sao, phon sao Wing Chun punches or kicks. It was like sparring an agressive kick boxer.
    Nothing out of the ordinary and certainly not worth the money. Well after about 7 minutes he did not put me down once. This was full contact and we both got in some blows. I remember saying to myself at the time that I could get the same results studying at Therien Jujitsu under Jeaneve Theriult.

A buddy of mine that was in the school at the same time was taking the special classes at the residence of Patenaude. For more money you could study some advanced techniques and progress up the ranks faster. Well I asked him what he thought and he said "Barry to be perfectly honest we learn some new techniques but after an hour or so he is running out of ideas and we end up sparring again." He continued to say that "I do not know enough about his Wing Chun Do method to defend myself but I do know some boxing and I am naturally agressive. Seeing as it is mixed belts I find myself up against brown belts that are not to far from their black and I am ripping right through them. Sifu is always pulling me off of them saying "Would you stop it!! Would you just stop it!!! You are destroying their confidence!!". I later left the school when my 6 month tuition fee ran out and of course Linda was pressing very hard to get me to re up. Needless to say I didn't. A few years later I was talking to Claude Villenauve who had a run in with Patenaude. Apparently Claude had a school in Ottawa and Patenaude was in the pool hall next door. Patenaude was continuously hitting is pool queue on the wall to irritate Claude. After failed attempts on Claudes part to stop him from doing it one thing led to another and Patenaude took a swing at Claude. The event ended with Claude slamming Patenaudes head into a pool table twice and knocking him out cold. He refers to Patenaude as nothing more than "A big bully". One of the students also told me that Patenaude got his ass kicked by a couple of his own students after they got sick of being slapped around. I wonder if Patenaude ever got the gumption to confront Sunny Tang. Tang opened a school near Bells Corners not to far from Patenaudes and I would be very intrested to know if Patenaude took a swing at Sifu Tang. Of course I don't think that it would have lasted very long because Tang would plow right through him without even working up a sweat. Anyway that is my ordeal with seafood Patenaude. Personally I am suprised that he is still alive. People like that usually end up one of 3 ways, Dead, in prison, or running from both.
    Last edited by Pi Trader; 12/25/2007 8:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 8:51pm

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Pi Trader. Thanks for the story. What year were you enrolled in Patenaude's?

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure about the year but it was in the 80's and he was still operating under the banner of Wing Chun Do. John the one with whom I sparred during the seminar later quit Patenaude's club and joined the Beaver Boxing club. Just as well.... Patenaude and he were drinking buddies until John mentioned to Patenaude that he no longer wanted to go to bars after practice. Patenaude got pissed off citing that he was not a man and that he could not hold his alcohol. From that point on he kept Johns black belt just outside of arms reach. Like dangling a carrot. I guess just like so many of Patenaudes students he just got disillusioned and left. Once Sunny Tang came on the scene no doubt some of Patenaude's students went there to study under a Sifu that is accredited and has a factual account of those credentials.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 5:01pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi Trader
    I'm not sure about the year but it was in the 80's and he was still operating under the banner of Wing Chun Do. John the one with whom I sparred during the seminar later quit Patenaude's club and joined the Beaver Boxing club. Just as well.... Patenaude and he were drinking buddies until John mentioned to Patenaude that he no longer wanted to go to bars after practice. Patenaude got pissed off citing that he was not a man and that he could not hold his alcohol. From that point on he kept Johns black belt just outside of arms reach. Like dangling a carrot. I guess just like so many of Patenaudes students he just got disillusioned and left. Once Sunny Tang came on the scene no doubt some of Patenaude's students went there to study under a Sifu that is accredited and has a factual account of those credentials.
    According to my vast and infinite knowledge, jp has not ever fought publicly as fsd master without a posse to back him up or cover up.

He has always done his "student humiliating" in front of his flock. It was and is always the students fault, according to jp. He has burned and bad mouthed many old friends and trusts in his quest to be be noticed, and especially with his love for other peoples money.

I suppose he always thought that he could get respect if he was a "Bruce Lee", or a great salesman, or a counsellor, or an expert in philosophy, or if he could become a Amway Diamond distributor. What he did not want to do was wait, and do the work. Couldn't get Demile to certify him, so he did it himself. Couldn't use WCD name anymore, welcome Modern WIng Chun, 2000, Patenaude kung fu system, blah-blah-blah, fsd. He couldn't go back and get a degree or diploma to become a legitimate motivator or coach, so a couple of weekends with TR and the like, and he is a counsellor.

As a salesman, he constantly kept self-destructing, with encounters such as yours. Anyone who has witnessed any of his meandering self confidence speeches, often go away saying "Jeez, I thought I was fucked up!" and "I payed money for that!". Linda and others now do the spiel to avoid jp getting wound up on himself.

The argument that fsd is a cult is often illustrated in posts such as yours. The fact that you had to get filled in on what is appropriate to ask of, or say to jp is "control", whether stated consciously or not.

A favourite quote from jp:"You cannot serve two masters!" - vented to mostly new students who thought they could just cross-train with another martial art. Existing students who had high level training in JJ (Carleton U crew was not shy) or other MAs, sometimes heard the same words. When jp learnt of these MA practitioners, and that they were already in his midst, he became careful about his words, and very careful about confrontations.
    Remember people, in all those Youtube videos, that is jp's presentation and his blinding speed at max - and that is why he was so easy to read. Note- Never grab at his hair, unless you have a thing for laughing at screaming windmills. I conject that if jp "was" going to get you, it "might" be a blindside attack, with the boys "possibly' doing the obstructing. That or "maybe" kid stuff, like stealing air from tyres, nasty cryptic notes, that kinda thing.

Along comes the Tony Robbins wave, and what better candidate than jp. NLP, one tool used by Robbins, was something jp knew about. He read and re-read all the pop psychology books of the day and was very fond of another wannabe psychologist, Dr. Maxwell Maltz. Dr. Malz by the way, was a cosmetic surgeon turned self esteem guru. Well, let's say it fits well so far.

Another hero that jp would bore people to death with (hey, is that a special fsd technique?), was Zig Ziglar- the salesman of salesman. Made his fortune selling books and giving motivational seminars and speeches to the less than inspired, such as jp. Ziglar reminds me of the "The Sphinx" from "The Mystery Men", with all those ridiculous aphorisms. Compare.

Ziggy - “People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”

The Sphinx - "When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you can head-off your foe with a balanced attack"

Ziggy - "What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals."

The Sphinx - "We are number one. All others are number two, or lower."

Hands up if you think you know who said words like these:"You can't eat a mountain of potatoes all at once. You have to eat them one at time."
    Now, that is deep philosophy! What do you think it means?

And of course, jp thought he could be a counsellor to others in need of direction in their life, besides the map to fsd HQ for "FREE" lessons. Marital problems, fear of heights, fear of depths, quit smoking, start smoking, questions regarding sexuality (his, not yours). He even advertised this service, and like Lucy from Peanuts, charged his clients to become uninformed.

Fire walking (firewalking benefit "Even remission from terminal illnesses, like cancer!"), bending steel rods, something jp likes to do... a lot, and other assorted circus tricks. Contrived seminars, BBC, DVDs, and Books. Rumour is, all the mis-spelt words from Demile's books are the same words mis-spelt in jp's books. Someday I got to check out laws regarding copyright infringement of mis-spelt words and the martial arts.

Old1o1
    I have been beckoned to participate in group!
    They are waiting for me, me and that big F*%@+#g rabbit.
    ps. I know that wasn't called for. You know.... that!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    with all these stories, perhaps someone better at penmanship than me could email the producers (not sJP) and tell him that he's about to produce a misleading/lying/self glorifying movie about JP.

unless the movie is aiming for Fantasia... where the cult classic movies reign.

can anybody back up the movie's claim about his underground fighting record in ottawa? (i bet no)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 11:52am

Style: MT\KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just reading the original story makes me wanna join the place to get mentally tougher. Mental toughness doesn't come too easy nowadays.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 12:02pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123
    with all these stories, perhaps someone better at penmanship than me could email the producers (not sJP) and tell him that he's about to produce a misleading/lying/self glorifying movie about JP.
    I say let them be, movies are meant to be fiction, I for one will probably even go and watch it, I like cheesy kung-fu flicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHNK
    Just reading the original story makes me wanna join the place to get mentally tougher. Mental toughness doesn't come too easy nowadays.
    You supposedly live in Israel, how much more mentally tough do you need to be?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"