Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 12:13pm

Style: Former FSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Therien page has this listed:

http://www.jiu-jitsu.com/english/new...?id=1503774011

All it says is that they opened a new location in Orleans. I do believe that the addres is the same one that sSP keeps giving us. It is interesting that there is no mention of it being an MMA school or a school combined with FSD.

In perusing the FSD site, I took a gander in their "Products" section. It is interesting how many DVDs they sell. I took some delight reading the "Station Training" section. I have to admit that I had "I've got the power" running through my head while I was reading it. I imagine the custom timer includes sJP's motivational comments as did the one in class. I also noticed that each DVD has a 100% guarantee. Anyone want to test this theory?

They have a nunchaku DVD. It always seemed curious to me that they would promote this as it is illegal to own them according to the Criminal Code of Canada. I suppose the loophole is that they are not selling the actual weapon.

Why does sMP have glamour shots of him without a shirt? Is it necessary to do stations shirtless?

The other thing I noticed on the site was that all the pages are "signed" by sMP. Curiouser and curioser. I am making the assumption that this is one of the steps being taken to hand the reigns over to sMP, or at least to turn him into the figurehead since there is so much heat and ire pointed in sJP's direction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 9:39pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it is the same address in Orleans. I asked one of the TJJ instructors about it at and they are sharing the space. Apparently the Patenaude Kung Fu and Therien Jiu Jitsu alternate days but each have their own separate operations (computer systems, etc) there.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 10:07pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .... and I know this cause?!?

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patenaude Kung Fu and Therien Jiu Jitsu both operate at 2035 Lanthier Drive, in Orleans.
    http://www.fangshendo.com/classes/on...h_ontario.html http://www.jiu-jitsu.com/english/new...?id=1503774011

See the blog entry dated November 2, 2007 "Patenaude Kung-Fu opens new 3000 square foot facility in Orleans" http://www.fangshendo.com/blog/2007_11_01_archive.html

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ
    Yes, it is the same address in Orleans. I asked one of the TJJ instructors about it at and they are sharing the space. Apparently the Patenaude Kung Fu and Therien Jiu Jitsu alternate days but each have their own separate operations (computer systems, etc) there.
    This entire situation is confusing me. Are the Fang Shen Do people learning Therien Jiu Jitsu, then teaching it to Fang Shen Do students? Is a Therien guy teaching jiu jitsu to Fang Shen Do students? Who is Stephane rolling with? His students? Therien people?

What is the skinny on Therien anyway? Is that school respected?

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 1:53pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my. I went through the blog article on the Fang Shen Do website regarding weapons training. Were you aware that by taking the vaunted Fang Shen Do weapons training seminars you could greatly improve your quality of life? The following quote is attributed to the life benefits that you get from transferring skills learned in weapons training at Fang Shen Do:

"This can be transfered in other things you do like brushing your teeth with your left hand, as well as eating."

WELL!! If I can learn how to brush my teeth with my left hand, it must all be worth it. It is also a good thing that I will learn how to eat. I can finally get rid of my feeding tube.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 9:15pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenguy
    This entire situation is confusing me. Are the Fang Shen Do people learning Therien Jiu Jitsu, then teaching it to Fang Shen Do students? Is a Therien guy teaching jiu jitsu to Fang Shen Do students?
    Without knowing any better I would say the Therien/Fanger 'school' is less a partnership between the schools and styles and more of a cost sharing arrangement. The two schools maybe had enough students each to operate the property 2-3 days a week but together they can use the space all week and split the rent and utilities. Again this is speculation on my part.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 11:33pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Without knowing any better I would say the Therien/Fanger 'school' is less a partnership between the schools and styles and more of a cost sharing arrangement.
    :wav:
    That's right Bob, now tell him what he's won!

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 6:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, the speculation is correct. I did ask one of the Therien instructors about the Orleans school and he told me the two operations were separate but the two schools shared the space.

I don't know if FSD students are learning jiu jitsu or if Therien students are getting kung fu at the Orleans location. FSD blog entry (Nov 2) mentions both styles in the curriculum at the Orleans dojo. If there ever was cross-training between TJJ and FSD, it could have happened at this event last month http://www.worldkobudo.info/events_coming.php

Note Sijo Jacques P. is listed as a WKF senior instructor. It appears that FSD has joined the World Kobudo Federation. I don't know if any TJJ students took his seminar as I didn't ask and they didn't mention it specifically. Joining the WKF seems to show the FSD may be less insular than in the past - perhaps a comment from Sifu no BS might be more insightful than my speculation.

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 9:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. So as far as we know, Fang Shen Do has graduated from reading Royce Gracie books and pretending they know some form of grappling/BJJ to spying on the people they share a building with and teaching what they see. I suppose that it would make it easy to install some cameras to get free lessons when you pay the rent.

This puts a new spin on all of sSP's claims of being open-minded and progressive. I should have known better than to expect anything but half truths from Fang Shen Do. Did he open a school with another martial arts organization? Technically, I guess he did. Realistically, however, if they are not training together and there is no cross pollination, they have done nothing new. They rent a building. Therien also happens to rent in that building. Next thing you know, Fang Shen Do will claim to be in the business of plumbing, catering and marketing, since the Catherine location shares a building with those businesses.

Hey Stephane - now that this has come to light, where are you learning your grappling from? You claim to have opened this school WITH Therien, but it seems that was a bit of a misleading statement (I would have NEVER thought Fang Shen Do would attempt to mislead anyone :sad4: ). I am curious now - since Therien is not providing any JJ instruction to you or your students, what is this rolling you speak of?

Just when I thought things were changing, it turns out to be more crap on the dung pile that is Fang Shen Do.