1. #1991

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    385
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion_wins View Post
    Now that I listen to my instructors, I definitly understand that they are part of it, as they try to sell Master and BBc memberships, sometimes under pressure. I have seen a grown man pressuring a 14 year old girl into suscribing to a BBC membership, and not really kindly.

    But don't get me wrong, I consider my instructors as friends and the instruction is very good. I just dont think it's ethical for martial arts to mix with pyramid schemes.
    Let's visit this point, you consider your instructors "friends" yet you question the ethicalness of the pyramid schemes, and you've seen grown men pressuring 14 year olds in BBC membership...

    Remember, their quality of your friends *does* reflect on yourself. Think of these "friends" and how much your are paying for their friendship....

    This is a business, not a friendship. Remember that.

  2. #1992

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    566
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scorpion, the GIN info, while not earth-shattering, is nonetheless interesting so please continue to post any new info you have.

    My concerns.....The GIN website seems somewhat cryptic but from what I gather the only way to make money is by recruiting new members (the "downline"). So where will these new members come from? I can just see them now pressuring the students at FSD to join this organization.

  3. #1993

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    340
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa View Post
    Scorpion, the GIN info, while not earth-shattering, is nonetheless interesting so please continue to post any new info you have.

    My concerns.....The GIN website seems somewhat cryptic but from what I gather the only way to make money is by recruiting new members (the "downline"). So where will these new members come from? I can just see them now pressuring the students at FSD to join this organization.
    Probably works a lot like Mary Kay and other multi-level marketing systems. You get a cut if you recruit someone and for everyone they recruit, etc. If so it's likely the franchise heads are either members or being pushed so they can sell it to students. Now to be clear that's just speculation, but that is the way a lot of these systems work.

  4. #1994

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappyhead View Post
    Probably works a lot like Mary Kay and other multi-level marketing systems. You get a cut if you recruit someone and for everyone they recruit, etc. If so it's likely the franchise heads are either members or being pushed so they can sell it to students. Now to be clear that's just speculation, but that is the way a lot of these systems work.
    Exactly. The pics I posted earlier were taken in the Bahamas at a GIN convention. One of the sifu got his platinium affiliate status.

    To qualify for this commission override payment schedule:

    • Be a GIN affiliate in good standing.
    • In the current month, Affiliates who qualify for this status do not need to sign someone up in order to qualify to receive commissions. Affiliate level status is calculated on a monthly basis.
    • Have at least ten active members that you have sold and used your affiliate code (sponsored), who in the current month are in at least their second month of membership and their monthly membership dues have been paid, who have at least one active member each that they have sold and used their affiliate code, who in the current month are in at least their second month of membership and their monthly membership dues have been paid.

    Commissions and overrides paid:
    Commission percentages paid on initiation fees and $150 monthly dues actually collected


    • Level-1: 20%
    • Level-2: 20%
    • Level-3: 2%
    • Level-4: 2%
    • Level-5: 2%
    • Level-6: 2%
    • Level-7: 3%

  5. #1995

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had another "wtf" moment tonight at the school. I got there earlier than usual so I stretched a little bit. Then I grabbed a kettlebell to do some exercise. An instructor told me to put it back in place because only those in the Masters club are allowed to use it. So I paid 900$ for the regular class, 50$ a month for bbc and I cant use a kettlebell.

  6. #1996
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion_wins View Post
    So I paid 900$ for the regular class, 50$ a month for bbc and I cant use a kettlebell.
    Sounds like a sweet deal.

  7. #1997

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    566
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion_wins View Post
    Had another "wtf" moment tonight at the school. I got there earlier than usual so I stretched a little bit. Then I grabbed a kettlebell to do some exercise. An instructor told me to put it back in place because only those in the Masters club are allowed to use it. So I paid 900$ for the regular class, 50$ a month for bbc and I cant use a kettlebell.
    How much extra per month is the Masters Club?

  8. #1998

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it is 70$ more, so with bbc and masters it would be 120$ a month

  9. #1999

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    566
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Scorpion, this sounds more like a con to get you to join the (so called) "Master's Club" and in the process put more money in the instructor's pocket.

    I don't know how much of this thread you're read but I would be interested to hear more observations about what's happening now in FSD. Are they pushing the MMA stuff? Is anyone competing in grappling competitions? Does the Sijo ever teach or make an appearance?

  10. #2000

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa View Post
    Hi Scorpion, this sounds more like a con to get you to join the (so called) "Master's Club" and in the process put more money in the instructor's pocket.

    I don't know how much of this thread you're read but I would be interested to hear more observations about what's happening now in FSD. Are they pushing the MMA stuff? Is anyone competing in grappling competitions? Does the Sijo ever teach or make an appearance?
    Yes you are right, actually I've been approached for the master's club before and I am often chosen for demonstrations. They seem to see something in me but i now know too much to get involved more than i am now.

    The instructors often try to sell us memberships and tickets to fight nights and the soon to come chrismas party. The other night, an instructor invited everyone to attend a free bbc class so they could see how it is and sign up. Although i disagree with the fact that you have to pay for programs that should be included in the regular class, i must admit that the content of bbc is enjoyable. We do kali handling, grappling, MMA, kickboxing and projections. Once again, you have to pay 75$ to do your level 1 kali exam, which will lead you to more advanced techniques. Joining the masters club leads to nunchuck handling, barehanded disarms, bo staff handling and others.

    I have heard that the Sijo came to our school a while ago. I have only seen him once at a fight night and he did not impress me. The Sibok did come not too long ago though to give a regular and bbc class, which was really good by the way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO