232288 Bullies, 4125 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2230
Page 193 of 223 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193 194195196197203 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAGregory View Post
    I have read a good portion of this thread (did come here to see if Fang Shen Do was legit). I have decided to pursue martial arts at a different venue as some of the stuff they teach did not seem "real" to me. However, I did meet the owner of the Orleans school and I have to say that Stephane Patenaude seems to be a very good martial artist, has a few fights under his belt and he teaches many classes himself.

Does anyone have any further info on him or the Orleans school? I only ask as I signed up at Bushido Martial Arts in Ottawa for their BJJ Class and the owner knows Stephane and had nothing but good things to say about him. That surprised me. Again, I am curious of Stephane and the Orleans school...
    My experience with FSD was a few years ago and it lasted 2 years. We often practiced garbage. They didn't have MMA/Sanda/grappling classes back then. The head instructor did offer grappling seminars, something that he was unqualified for. I didn't know this back then, but I give him credit for getting me started on grappling (now a BJJ blue belt).

FSD went through some changes since then, and I think Stephane had something to do with it. He also had the guts to post on this thread. Sure, he didn't answer to all our questions, but as the son of JP, I'm not sure if I would have acted any different.

Why don't you try the classes and give us a feedback? They used to offer a free month with "no strings attached".

Be warned : doing stations (a good workout), you'll get a "jogger's high" and feel really good afterwards. Don't let that feeling cloud your judgement and sign a one year contract after a few classes.

FSD used to charge a huge fee compared to other MA's, so that should be taken into consideration as well. Did ya know that it's mandatory to attend a 500$ training camp to reach brown sash?

If BJJ and grappling is what you seek, then I'd suggest one of the other Ottawa area schools, like team Bushido.

Be also aware that if you became a fanger, then you'll have to cope with Martini's BS on the blogs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 10:29am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone have any further info on him or the Orleans school? I only ask as I signed up at Bushido Martial Arts in Ottawa for their BJJ Class and the owner knows Stephane and had nothing but good things to say about him. That surprised me. Again, I am curious of Stephane and the Orleans school...
    You would probably have to talk to Stephane or FSD directly for school information. Or be more specific about what you want to know.

I don't think any martial arts school owner would have much incentive to talk trash about his local competitors/colleagues. Would an MA instructor or school owner want to appear disrespectful or unprofessional to prospective students? If it was an initial meeting, first impressions count.

General consensus on the thread from posters who have met Stephane is that he does know how to fight, and on a personal level people seem to genuinely like him. He posted in this thread a while ago under the name Sifu no BS. Some of his posts were constructive and very interesting; some of it was cryptic and odd. Respect to him for making the effort to engage on the board, and he is probably responsible for making FSD less insular and more competitive. My understanding is they're not as bad as they were but glad to hear you didn't sign a contract with them.

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
    You would probably have to talk to Stephane or FSD directly for school information. Or be more specific about what you want to know.

I don't think any martial arts school owner would have much incentive to talk trash about his local competitors/colleagues. Would an MA instructor or school owner want to appear disrespectful or unprofessional to prospective students? If it was an initial meeting, first impressions count.

General consensus on the thread from posters who have met Stephane is that he does know how to fight, and on a personal level people seem to genuinely like him. He posted in this thread a while ago under the name Sifu no BS. Some of his posts were constructive and very interesting; some of it was cryptic and odd. Respect to him for making the effort to engage on the board, and he is probably responsible for making FSD less insular and more competitive. My understanding is they're not as bad as they were but glad to hear you didn't sign a contract with them.
    I said Fang Shen Do as a "joke" and Bushido guys (owner and lead instructor) corrected me and said, why - I know Stephane and he is no joke. In other words, kind of went out of their way to say that Stephane is very well respected in these parts and a good martial artist. I have since asked around and I get that impression from others and I also have the same impression.

I am not going to say anything about Fang Shen Do or its origin, etc. I was just very surprised to see the negativity as in my experience (again - simply with Sifu Stephane) I have nothing but good things to say.

I would be curious if anyone with negative things to say about Fang Shen Do is referring to Orleans or Sifu Stephane. I would be very surprised if that school was thought of as "Bullshido" and not legit for martial arts training. I am a Noob - just I live in the area and wanted to comment here on what I hear from others in Orleans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2010 7:29am

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, over the course of this thread I did have a email conversation with Stephane, and he wasn't a bad bloke but avoided the legitimacy/lineage questions as unimportant. He was a salesman, but being in the fitness sales business that goes with the territory.

But think of it this way, Stephane is in good shape because he is in the fitness business. He was also the first to work with Therien and share space, so he seems to be the first to have direct Jits experience, even if it is can ryu JJ. I believe he has also trained directly with J-Y Therault and has at least one kick boxing bout (findable on youtube) under his belt.

This gives him far more credentials in many eyes -- more than his own FSD creds.

But, is this training being passed on to the students via a change in the FSD curriculum? Or is it Phon Sao's and Tiger Claws still? Is it FSD wide or just Stephane (or his Orlean's school)?

My only real beef with Stephane personally, was his call in question my honour as an attack from second hand information from another Sifu, who was pissed that I posted in these threads.

While I really don't care about that much, the irony is delicious. Despite the fact that he was supporting a martial art, whose lineage was very questionable and who's own daddy was claiming multiple black belts and martial art masteries at the time, when the only evidence that could be provided of a black belt was a photo with Demile where it appears he is wearing a black sash (though it is a b&w photo), and Stephane does knowingly so saying that the history isn't important, he attacks others with "honour" judgements. Amazing really. Note, the change in tune from the FSD camp when they revamped the website and removed any claim of multiple black belts and masteries on Jacques's bio IIRC was after this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2010 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123 View Post
    The name dropping has begun!!

Check out friends of FSD!!
    OK, I will....

Wow, lots of good talk about these peeps on the fsd website!
    And lots of good talk about these peeps (in general) all over the net!

And when you go to the websites of these "friends of fang shen do" what do they say about fang shen do?

Erm, ....I dunno...I can't seem to find any mention of fsd on their websites.

No pictures. No posts. No stories.

Check it out:
    Cecile Peoples - nothing
    Rob Kaman - nada
    Dan Inosanto - zilch
    Don "the Dragon" Wilson - zero
    Jason C. Brown - bupkiss
    Matt Furey - rien
    Mike Storms - dick all
    Gene LeBell - 0

Gokor Chivichyan - oooh! A hit: Under Canadaian Associates it says: "Martin Patenaude White belt - level 0"

Leo Fong - zip

Hmmm, I'll stop there since there doesn't seem to be too many references to fsd on the "friends of fsd" websites. Maybe I missed something.

But maybe I didn't...can anyone point out a website that gives a positive review for fsd?

....Besides fsd.
    ....or some site selling fsd dvds.

Sure would like to know

Regards,
    JackBurton

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2010 11:19am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said Fang Shen Do as a "joke" and Bushido guys (owner and lead instructor) corrected me and said, why - I know Stephane and he is no joke. In other words, kind of went out of their way to say that Stephane is very well respected in these parts and a good martial artist. I have since asked around and I get that impression from others and I also have the same impression.

I am not going to say anything about Fang Shen Do or its origin, etc. I was just very surprised to see the negativity as in my experience (again - simply with Sifu Stephane) I have nothing but good things to say.

I would be curious if anyone with negative things to say about Fang Shen Do is referring to Orleans or Sifu Stephane. I would be very surprised if that school was thought of as "Bullshido" and not legit for martial arts training. I am a Noob - just I live in the area and wanted to comment here on what I hear from others in Orleans.
    There is a reason for FSD receiving a bad reputation. It has more to do with the history of FSD itself (i.e. unsubstantiated claims of multiple black belts by Sijo JP, incidents of bizarre behaviour, etc.) rather than the Orleans location in particular or Stephane personally. Take the time to read more of the threads if you want to know why. MA training can be expensive - Buyer beware.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2010 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=JackBurton;2444524]

Gokor Chivichyan - oooh! A hit: Under Canadaian Associates it says: "Martin Patenaude White belt - level 0"

QUOTE]

but note the color of Martini's belt, when he is shown with a gi! it sure don't look white to me!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 4:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=fanger123;2444828]
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post

QUOTE]

but note the color of Martini's belt, when he is shown with a gi! it sure don't look white to me!
    .....I'm shocked!
    Someone from fsd professing to have a belt level...that they actually don't have?!

What the firetruck! I'm shocked AND appalled!

Regards,
    JackBurton

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 6:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice post...Thank you very much!!......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 3:50pm

Style: jiujitsu, karate, shorinj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you asking him to post again? My head is killing of from reading all his novels that He's writing! He should write a book called "tiger fang shen claw do...the ultimate fart"