233506 Bullies, 3775 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 2231
Page 168 of 224 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168 169170171172178218 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 10:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daadron View Post
    Although it was discouraging to learn that my grappling skills couldn't measure up to the guys at OAMA, it wasn't really that surprising considering that they spend 100% of their class time working on grappling from the above mentioned positions. In a reality situation (ie. with striking and such), I believe someone trained in FSD could certainly give one trained in BJJ more than a run for their money.
    You're certainly in a school where you can try it out, aren't you? Why 'believe', why not try it? If I was in your class, I'd certainly agree to put on some gloves and let you try your Fanging against my BJJ. Talk about a perfect time to do some science instead of all the normal talk about belief and such.

PS. I know I wasn't the first to comment on the disrespect towards Sifu Scott. But given my history with the him, I felt I should weigh in on the matter.
    Just pointing it out because I like Scott on a personal level too.

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will be my final post here as I've said all that I think I can say to contribute to the discussion.

@n00b: If you're good at BJJ and well conditioned you could probably take me, not gonna lie. I wasn't trying to talk up my own skills, cause I'm outa shape, out of practice, and just starting to pick up training again (albiet in a different art). I was referring more to a Sifu in FSD vs. a Black belt/instructor in BJJ type scenerio. Also, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who realizes that Sifu Scott, as well as the other instuctors (imo) are good guys.

@Askari: You're entitled to your opinion. The man I can assure you is in good condition. 2 years of traning with him (someties 1 on 1) at least tells me that much.

@old101: I don't know what to make of you lol. I hope my initial post at least makes you think twice before making personal attacks like that again. I'm sure you didn't have any malicious intent when you posted that, but it hit a little too close to home for me to completely ignore it.

My final word to this thread is that I think there have been some points made that are valid, others that are not. Certainly there is much room for growth in Fang Shen Do (such is the case with any martial art I think). But despite the bad reputation it has on this site, I don't feel that it's nearly as bad as you guys think it to be. Naturally my opinion is slightly biased (I was in the system for over 2 years, and had a positive experience), but it is what it is. I can't comment on the history/lineage of Sijo Jaques Patenaude as I never asked about it, and know no more concerning than any other person off the street. Thats my opinion, whether or not it's correct I'm sure I'll find out the more i delve into different martial arts. Thank you for hearing me out.

Take Care,
    Tim C.
    Last edited by Daadron; 7/31/2009 11:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 12:47pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will be my final post here as I've said all that I think I can say to contribute to the discussion.
    Thank you for posting. It is always good to hear the perspective of current and former fangers on this thread, and see there are people willing to post here that can construct a coherent paragraph. I am glad to hear that your relatively recent experience was a positive one and you did not experience or witness any abusive or bizarre behaviour, as described by some other former FSD'ers on these threads.

Perhaps this is a positive development over time. However the previous criticisms (false WCD instructor certification, bizarre/abusive behaviour, value for money) which have been well established on these threads still stand. All the best with your training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @n00b: If you're good at BJJ and well conditioned you could probably take me, not gonna lie. I wasn't trying to talk up my own skills, cause I'm outa shape, out of practice, and just starting to pick up training again (albiet in a different art). I was referring more to a Sifu in FSD vs. a Black belt/instructor in BJJ type scenerio.
    Ah, in that case, I change my answer! I can't imagine, given similar size and age, that an FSD sifu would be able to do much, if anything, against a BJJ black belt. I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility, but even odds? Not to make fun of you, you have very little experience in anything, from what you're saying, time will show you the difference. To belabour the point, I have a brown sash in FSD, and white belt in BJJ, yet the amount of time spent using my techniques against resisting opponents is far higher now than it ever was in FSD.

Of course, the true test isn't of Sifus and Black belts, is it? It's how good their students are. And there we see a situation where you can get a VERY good idea of how good FSD is by TRYING IT OUT... but nobody does that. Well nobody does that and stays. Why do you think there's suddenly Sanshou and 'MMA' and 'grappling' these last few years? ;)

You should find someone to try it with, no reason someone in your school can't help you out in a friendly way. Just go with similar time training so it's as fair as can be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 4:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i've personally met people who could be considered fat at least visually but were much better conditioned (cardio wise) than me. one of my best buddy who looks rather fat and also chain smokes, can run circles around while i gasp for air. so yeah, you can look fat and be in shape.

anyways, why don't noob and daadron go for a friendly sparring/rolling? (since you are both in ottawa) like, say, one round striking, one round grapping, then one round all mixed together? (let's emphasize the FRIENDLY part, lest some meathead think this would be a gaung sau-esque thing)

and daadron, ever wonder why they only recently covered the guard? because the FSD instructors have no qualifications to teach grappling. they were probably studying on their own from books and DVD's and waited a bit before they taught those stuff to their students. the students who pay them good money. i say this is a rip off.

anyways, i hope you still stick around. let us know how the training at OAMA goes.

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 9:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123 View Post
    well i've personally met people who could be considered fat at least visually but were much better conditioned (cardio wise) than me. one of my best buddy who looks rather fat and also chain smokes, can run circles around while i gasp for air. so yeah, you can look fat and be in shape.

anyways, why don't noob and daadron go for a friendly sparring/rolling? (since you are both in ottawa) like, say, one round striking, one round grapping, then one round all mixed together? (let's emphasize the FRIENDLY part, lest some meathead think this would be a gaung sau-esque thing)

and daadron, ever wonder why they only recently covered the guard? because the FSD instructors have no qualifications to teach grappling. they were probably studying on their own from books and DVD's and waited a bit before they taught those stuff to their students. the students who pay them good money. i say this is a rip off.

anyways, i hope you still stick around. let us know how the training at OAMA goes.
    Quick correction. I've currently just started training at Ronin MMA. I did a quick stint at OAMA last year, but stopped after a month and a bit because I was having trouble finding time in my schedule to get out to Carling and train enough to make it worth my dollar. That being said, OAMA is definately a quality school, and I learned a fair bit in their Jiu Jitsu classes (even though I was only there for a few of them). Starting some Muay Thai at Ronin (just did my trial week), and so far I'm liking the training environment they have going on there. I'm always down for a bit of sparring/rolling, it's a good opportunity to learn. I'm not going to make any "I'm better than you statements" because I honestly don't consider myself that much of a fighter, I was in it very much for the getting in shape aspect. Maybe Muay Thai training will change that, I don't know. Regardless, if you want n00b you can PM me and we can hook up sometime for some training. As long as we're both agreed we're not looking to prove anything, just have a bit o' fun. I emphasize this simply because I don't want you to think that I'm somehow represtenting FSD...i can assure you there are far better fighters than I in their organization, and who would give you a much more accurate measure of what the more fighting-oriented guys in the system are all about. Anyway I gotta get to bed, early work tomorrow.

See yah,
    Tim C.

PS: Ok, this is actually my last post, just wanted to clear up where it was I was training these days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari View Post
    1) It really is impossible to be fit and fat at the same time.

2) You can be fat and strong, but you are not fit.
    While he may not have been at peak physical fitness for his potential, he was pretty fit, he ran the floor with us all the time, so he could at least do whatever he asked of us.

Of course by now he's moved from early 30s to late 30s... time takes us all down a peg eventually.

As for the friendly spar, well, if you roll, you'll roll with me eventually, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a good test for you, so I wouldn't say that would prove anything. Too much experience for it to be a fair test. However, you're going to get some experience in competition MA, you'll work it out on your own over time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    As for the friendly spar, well, if you roll, you'll roll with me eventually, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a good test for you, so I wouldn't say that would prove anything. Too much experience for it to be a fair test. However, you're going to get some experience in competition MA, you'll work it out on your own over time.

That last paragraph was aimed at Daadron, of course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.fangshendo.com/blog/uploa...ure-727290.jpg

at 500$ + tax (and that's canadian tax, around 13%) per head, i say see joe made some good money over the week end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 2:49am

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123 View Post
    http://www.fangshendo.com/blog/uploa...ure-727290.jpg

at 500$ + tax (and that's canadian tax, around 13%) per head, i say see joe made some good money over the week end.
    This link was originally posted by old1o1 http://www.ex-cult.org/General/cult.definition

(and yes I'm being serious here about the info below)

Intensive indoctrination techniques include:
    1) Subjection to stress and fatigue
    2) Social disruption, isolation and pressure
    3) Self criticism and humiliation
    4) Fear, anxiety and paranoia
    5) Control of information
    6) Escalating commitment
    7) Use of auto-hypnosis to induce 'peak' experiences

Hey did everyone have fun at the 'camp'???