230769 Bullies, 5183 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2225
Page 167 of 223 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167 168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daadron View Post
    I know this message was posted nearly a year ago now...But I'm only reading through the thread now. I'm an ex fang shen do student, and agree with alot of what you people are saying on this forum. However I would make it known to you that this post has greatly diminished both my faith in you as an individual critic, and has made me question the real intentions of Bullshido where Fang Shen Do is concerned. This is not objective/constructive criticism, it's low brow name calling and knit picking. I still consider Scott Hill among my friends, you should also know he is phenominally strong, well conditioned, and an outstanding person who has helped me overcome many challenges both on and off the training mat.

Thanks
    the post you quoted does seem YMAS worthy. if it was a YMAS thread, then you gotta realize that YMAS is meant to not be taken seriously.

why don't you share your story, fellow ex fanger?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fang Shen Do stresses fitness to an extreme. Once this is in place, everything else is easy for you. That's why all our classes run 60 to 90 minutes. You leave every class having advanced a specific skill or technique you can immediately use in your life plus an intense conditioning workout. Compare that to today's typical 45-minute martial arts class where you exit class with NO new skills and often without a drop of sweat. Using modern research and cutting-edge practices, techniques & equipment, Fang Shen Do guarantees you'll look and feel better (and sexier), and move with a grace and ease you haven't noticed in a long time.
    And sexier???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 9:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just took at look at the FSD website, at the Catherine st. location, there's 30 min. of Sanshou and 45 min. of MMA/Sanshou, and a half hour of grappling every week.

Naturally, the schools will have certified teachers with good competition records, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:12pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I hammered one nail, and then I'm accused of being a carpenter.

I know this message was posted nearly a year ago now...But I'm only reading through the thread now. I'm an ex fang shen do student, and agree with alot of what you people are saying on this forum. However I would make it known to you that this post has greatly diminished both my faith in you as an individual critic, and has made me question the real intentions of Bullshido where Fang Shen Do is concerned. This is not objective/constructive criticism, it's low brow name calling and knit picking. I still consider Scott Hill among my friends, you should also know he is phenominally strong, well conditioned, and an outstanding person who has helped me overcome many challenges both on and off the training mat.

Thanks
    Jeez! I'm sorry you feel that way. PM me if you would like to discuss this further.

Old1o1
    Peace

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think my story matches up much with what has been said so far on this forum about Fang Shen Do. My experience was (and still is, when I have time) a very positive one. I started Fang Shen Do about halfway through high school, I was impressed by the physical fitness component as well as the other impressive attributes demonstrated by the instructors. After six months I joined the BBC which in my experience was worth the extra money I payed, I found the weapons training and sparring alot of fun. After a year and a bit I decided to join the Intructor's program...which again I enjoyed very much. I've seen a lot of talk on this forum about how the assistants teach things above their level...and I can say that in Richmond at least, this was not the case. I was never asked to teach anything that I wasn't already very familiar with (White/Yellow sash levels), and even then if there was something I wasn't comfortable with, Sifu Scott would be fine with it, and would have one of the more advanced instructors teach it.

As much as I enjoyed Fang Shen Do though, The money factor eventually caught up to me (about 2 years into my training). Once I turned 18 my parents stopped paying half of the class fees as they had been doing for the two years previous, and it quickly became apparent that I would be unable to fund my classes at FSD for long. At this point Sifu Scott was a good friend and mentor to me (hence my defending him in my last post), and we worked out a system in which I would still be able to attend classes on a very irregular basis, and basicaly pay per class. I still attend the odd class to this day..so i guess it was slightly inaccurate to say that I'm an ex-"fanger" as you people say, although I wouldn't truly consider myself a full student there anymore.

I won't go into much more deatail about my time spent at Fang Shen Do in Richmond, as I'm sure half of the people reading this post have already labelled me a "cool-aid" drinker and will disregard much of what I have said...this doesn't bother me. I recently began training at Ronin MMA in Ottawa for Muay Thai. Quality school, good environment, and close to Algonquin so as to make it convenient for me to train (and it is more affordable on a month-to-month basis).

As refreshing as it is to be starting at a new school, learning new techniques, and broadening my MA experiences, I will never say anything negative about the people or training a recieved at FSD. I got in the best shape of my life, and despite popular opinion on the internet, I think I'm much more able to defend myself than I was before my time there. I did indeed attend quite a few seminars, including a training camp, and I had a fair amount of exposure to Sijo Jaque Patenaude and his family. I can honestly say I never recieved a negative look/comment...or even a negative vibe from any of them. When I met Sijo he shook my hand, was all smiles, and told me he was glad that I had attended the trianing camp (which is where this introduction took place). Sifu Martin was very helpful and encouraging in all of the seminars I attended..especially the weapons, in which I believe he is legitimately profficient, wherever his training came from. The FSD atmosphere as I knew it was one of intensity, determination, and most importantly, fun.

My two cents on the matter folks, take it or leave it, believe it or not, I enjoyed my time at Fang Shen Do. The only negative comment I have concerning the system is the price...and I can't really begrudge them, it's a business after all. Thanks for listening to my story all :).

Sincerely,
    Tim C.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:24pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfg View Post
    And sexier???
    Well, in a manly, masculine, sort of way. Something to do with putting their cups on backwards in the change-room, so I've heard. I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm sure martini will be releasing it to DVD soon. "fsd'ers GoNe WiLd" is the first one, for sure.

Old1o1
    Leave me alone, Deadron. This is fair ball.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. Just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm gonna bite your head off. However, If I see attacks as personal as the one I commented on then yeah, I'll say something. I think that's pretty fair. You can trash FSD all you want, I know I can't stop you, I just wanted my opinion on those remarks, and my thoughts about Fang Shen Do as an art, to be known.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 6:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. Just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm gonna bite your head off. However, If I see attacks as personal as the one I commented on then yeah, I'll say something. I think that's pretty fair. You can trash FSD all you want, I know I can't stop you, I just wanted my opinion on those remarks, and my thoughts about Fang Shen Do as an art, to be known.

Cheers
    You're not the only one who commented on making fun of Scott's size, for the record.

I have to wonder what kind of training the instructors have that they can teach MMA, Sanshou, and Grappling.

Assuming you've seen the 'grappling' DVD from FSD?

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 7:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    You're not the only one who commented on making fun of Scott's size, for the record.

I have to wonder what kind of training the instructors have that they can teach MMA, Sanshou, and Grappling.

Assuming you've seen the 'grappling' DVD from FSD?
    By all means, so ahead and wonder. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I have all the answers, because I don't. I have no problem sharing with this forum that other than my experience at Fang Shen Do, I have extremely limited martial arts experience. That being said, from my relatively novice perspective I think that the majority of what I learned during my time there is useful, and it's absolutely undeniable that the physcial/mental conditioning I attained from the classes is easily transferrable to other martial arts...and other pursuits in life. I'll be the first to agree with you that the "Heart Attack" Close is lame. I never liked training it, and I shared as much with my instructor.

I won't talk much about the grappling DVD; I've never seen it. I can comment on the grappling I picked up in class though. Grappling I found wasn't covered enough. I'm not sure whether this was my school in particular or the system in general. Every couple weeks though we would his the mats in the BBC and work on some grappling from th clinch, side mount, full mount, and, towards the end of my training, even the guard position (which was not convered earlier on in my training...maybe I had just never been taught to me, or maybe the Fang Shen Do instructors were just starting to teach it, I don't know). I have a very small amount of experience (as in 4 or 5 classes) of experience in BJJ at OAMA, and can't deny that when I went in there, I got my ass handed to me left right and center by everyone who had been there for any significant length of time. Although it was discouraging to learn that my grappling skills couldn't measure up to the guys at OAMA, it wasn't really that surprising considering that they spend 100% of their class time working on grappling from the above mentioned positions. In a reality situation (ie. with striking and such), I believe someone trained in FSD could certainly give one trained in BJJ more than a run for their money.

The Sanshou was still a very new part of the Fang Shen Do cirriculum when when I stopped training regularly. From what I did learn though, it is extremely similar to the Fang Shen Do sparring that was going on already in class. All that changed was the addition of a few new rules (Get up once someone is taken to the ground, I believe was one of them). I participated in the FSD Sanshou tournament a couple of years ago, and other than slightly different gloves, and more protective equipment it was basically like sparring in class, except in front of a couple hundred people.

They never really calimed to teach MMA when I was there, I guess those classes are fairly new, so I've really no comment.

Thanks.

PS. I know I wasn't the first to comment on the disrespect towards Sifu Scott. But given my history with the him, I felt I should weigh in on the matter.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 10:06am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS. I know I wasn't the first to comment on the disrespect towards Sifu Scott. But given my history with the him, I felt I should weigh in on the matter.
    Fat instructors are universally insulted on Bullshido. Scott is not being singled out. There are entire threads dedicated to it with pictures from all over the web. It is a complete joke the number of McDojos that have crappy instruction and the 300 pound instructor.

1) It really is impossible to be fit and fat at the same time.

2) You can be fat and strong, but you are not fit.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"