224908 Bullies, 3458 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 2222
Page 142 of 223 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142 143144145146152192 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 9:12pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay a while ago I posted a quote from the FSD blogosphere about the 14 anniversary of the Orleans school ( http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1998364&postcount=1354)

Though I do feel like this is :deadhorsebut once again there are some gems on the FSD blog. The following is taken from this entry from March 30th.

http://www.fangshendo.com/blog/label...lebration.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seafood Martin's blog
    If you were there you know what I'm talking about. Having the chance to train so many elements of FSD all at one time, Sanshou/Kickboxing/Muay Thai, Weapons, Kettlebells, Energy Drills, Weapons, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Wrestling, gave students a chance to put everything to the test.

Emphasis mine.

Yes, they are claiming that MT and BJJ are elements of FSD.

Previous, the claimed you could learn MT and JJ (I assumed CRJJ from the Orleans association with the Therien school, but now they've "upgraded" to BJJ).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 8:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Praying Mantis/San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, to be fair, FSD is still an evolving art, correct?
    Perhaps they've now incorporated Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu into the art. I'm not entirely sure where they might have acquired this new knowledge... and given the propensity for flagrant fibbing they've displayed in the past, it might not be all that likely. But hey, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, haven't the upper echelons been seeking training outside of FSD?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 7:19pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hafwen View Post
    Well, to be fair, FSD is still an evolving art, correct?
    Perhaps they've now incorporated Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu into the art. I'm not entirely sure where they might have acquired this new knowledge... and given the propensity for flagrant fibbing they've displayed in the past, it might not be all that likely. But hey, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, haven't the upper echelons been seeking training outside of FSD?
    Well, yes they claim it is an evolving art.

And they do/did have a BJJ Blue belt teaching at a Montreal school at one point. I don't know about the MT background, if any. As for upper echelons cross training? They may have been, sSP has some opportunity with the Therien relationship which means if he trains kickboxing under the Iceman then that lends credibility, but they are claiming MT, not "kickboxing". A different kettle of fish. sSP also posted here about his not liking BJJ due to his homoerotic perception of it. Given the sSP seems the most open of all the upper echelon for dialogue and cross training, then more I'm inclind to reduce the benefit of doubt here. And given previous claims of grandoise multiple blackbelts, etc, onus is on them to prove it.

Can any current fangers comment if any changes have happened in the curiculum? Has the content of the sash progression remained the same, but only the BJJ/MT lessons come from $$$ seminars, or has it truely been incorporated into the lesson plan?

Another thing, it's a question of sematics. Whats the difference between these two sentences:

FSD has elements of BJJ and MT.
    and
    BJJ and MT are elements of FSD.

There is a huge difference in meaning. The first reads to me that FSD has incorporated a few things from those arts. I'm sure they got books and DVDs, and I'm okay with the first sentence because it could easily be true.

The second sentence, which is basically what they are saying in the blog, says that BJJ and MT in completion are elements of FSD -- meaning in order to claim such there should be validation, legitimacy behind this statement.

Also consider the blog is a sales/marketing tool, they are saying "come to FSD and learn MT and BJJ as a part of our curriculum", okay I'm paraphrasing here.

So even with the benefit of doubt and let's say they are evolving, the blog is clearly indicating the meaning of the later sentence, BJJ & MT are elements of FSD which unless they actually have a valid BJJ and MT background (more than just cross training since they are teaching it, they must have learned it to some high degree), then they are fibbing again.

Oh, and also consider on a previous blog they are claiming to have elements of 150+ martial arts encorporated in FSD.

My vote is on these claims to be bogus. Any volunteers from the FSD camp want to comment? I know you are still reading this.... (or atleast I suspect as much)

To end off, let's go back to this previous quote from another blog
    a place to learn every element of martial arts: Fang Shen Do Kung-Fu, Sanshou (Chinese Kickboxing), Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Weapons...
    Notice they are listing FSD separate from the Jits, and separate from MT. Which means that they are teaching MT, and JJ separate from FSD...

No, no benefit of the doubt will be given from me. You, perhaps, but not me unless demontrated otherwise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 9:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Praying Mantis/San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair call.

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 2:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have read all 1400 posts more or less and it was a fascinating read.

As a practitioner of Aikido for the past 2 yrs I would like to see this video and know about this so called DVD that has all these weapons and what they compromise.

The traditional Aikido weapons are the:
    Bokken
    Tanto
    Jo

http://www.angelfire.com/bug2/aikido/weapons.html

I've practised with all 3 and including some kendo lessons, no suit time, have some familiarity with them.

I would like to know what techniques they are using with these weapons and how they compared/contrasted to the lessons this individual recieved compared to his Aikido weapon training.

What weapons? The same ones as described above? What techniques did they compare to traditional Aikido weapon training?

I'm by no means a grand master, shodan, black belt in my art. I consider myself a simple student. I would like a compare/contrast one with the other as it's a tall statement to say "This is just like Aikido!" when they are a primarily KungFu/Karate school.
    Last edited by churchill92; 4/03/2009 2:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 2:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by churchill92 View Post
    I have read all 1400 posts more or less and it was a fascinating read.

As a practitioner of Aikido for the past 2 yrs

I think it's safe to say stealing from Aikido is the LEAST of FSD's worries.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 3:47pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=churchill92;2094751]I have read all 1400 posts more or less and it was a fascinating read.QUOTE]

Try reading through some of the longer threads on FSD, it gets more"fascinating".

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 9:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    I think it's safe to say stealing from Aikido is the LEAST of FSD's worries.
    I think I misread what the guy posted before about the DVD. I believe he was referring to his NEW karate/mma instead of Aikido of which he took earlier on.

At least that's what rereading that statement again sounds more plausible. I really and truly don't think they'd go so far as to delve into the Aikido side of things. Aikido is old school, unflashy, and doesn't sell well to those with disposable income (18-24 age demographic)*.

BJJ is the new hot item and Muy Thai is pure sexy. Throw those 2 together and you will have people flock to you.

If everything that I have read so far in this thread and the other 4 or 5 threads about FSD (man there is a ton), they value the new HOT ticket styles to copy, parrot, mimick, repackage, rebrand, and sell to the masses.

*NOTE: I'm not knocking Aikido, please don't take it as such. I'm comparing the showy nature of the MMA styles vs. the traditional aspects Aikido Flash vs. Form. You can throw Kendo in there as well.

Try reading through some of the longer threads on FSD, it gets more"fascinating".
    I have the I and II in separate tabs at work taking each one in turn, it's like watching a train wreck full of nuns hit a bus full of girlscouts, you just can't not stop!

It makes work fly by as I get over this stomach virus I got while in Trinidad training. When they say "Don't drink the water" they mean any water, even f'n rain water coming off an f'n mountain in the f'n jungle. Sigh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:02pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

theDingo- I agree

I with theDingo on this.

Here are some random thoughts:

I question that fsd is evolving in any martial manner, although, the whole fsd upper crust do seem to behave like monkeys. They are creationists, and they have created martial fantasy out of someone else works.

steph is doing the KB thing, and good for him. He has been pretty quiet lately. Perhaps someone showed him a thing or two about reality.

Martini, on the other hand, makes some of the wackiest statements and stupid claims that I have ever read. It's like he reads from one book only. No due diligence given by him to verify and confirm outlandish claims he put in his blog.

Jp walks on fire, is water next??? They also teach others to do the same. I wonder how mystical they make it sound when they guide a person to walk the dreaded coals. Or do they talk about the science of fire walking. Yes, anybody can do this with a little preparation and without all the mumbo-jumbo. Do they have fire-walking certification? They claim they use methods of recognized fire-walking outfits, but they don't mention certification. Did the certificates get burned? Do they have fire extinguishers handy?

seaboob is stilling talking the power, the might, that is “fang shen do”(with long echo on the “do”), a nomenclature that is derived from nothingness (jacko doing his god thing again), and a martial art that is super bloated with false claims of qualification, an art that has no credible history. I, some day, have to time-line all this. I can build on one I saw in a previous post.

Fact: No one has ever seen jp's other BB certifications, not even his own kids. This just makes jp look more foolish, and perhaps in a different light, a tad contrite. The boys have written that they trust their dad's words and claims, not once claiming to have seen jp's many BB credentials.

Jp is the type who reads an article in some MA magazine, does the “monkey see-monkey do” practise, and voila -another fsd creation.

Jp thinks he has special powers and special knowledge. He believes, and wants to live forever. He thinks that a cure for ageing is just around the corner! jp needs to talk to a psychologist, get a little therapy.

Jp states that fsd classes are 60 to 90 minutes. Comments from recent fangers, please?.

Jp claims “Fang Shen Do molds itself to fit your individual skills rather than forcing you to mold to it.” Comments, please? Are any of you fangers actually learning something different from others in the same class? Has anyone broken the mold and lived to tell the story?

Jp uses terms like “modern research” and “cutting edge practises”. It seems pretty much like the same old poop to me.

Martini is the struggling wordsmith in this operation. He can certainly shovel out that repetitive customer aimed drivel they print in that crummy blog. As theDingo related, a blog that has every entry punctuated with a blurb and a link to their e-store.

For fsd to be so evolved, and in just the year of two, just how is that possible? Who is teaching them the “elements” to the point that they can comfortably claim it fits the fsd way. Just how does that work? It makes no sense to me. They might as well incorporate “elements” of carpentry or curling.

How does fsd disseminate these new found skills to the other instructors around the province and Quebec. How does this enter their curriculum? Oh yeah! Maybe it's those little seminars. Then they have the gall to make a DVD of these speedy “masteries” and sell them.

Another thing. Fsd has to get off this bruce lee crap. Now they talk about “foundational elements” of JKD, as if JKD really existed in Lee's lifetime, and then they go on with the Demile stuff yadda-yadda-yadda wing chun do yadda-yadda modern wing chun yadda-yadda something Martial Arts 2000 yadda-yadda-yadda punch out a little kid yadda-yadda the afterbirth -fsd.

Fact: They have reached back to Demile, and a disavowed certification to claim legitimacy. Does this show a retreat in their bravado in the “wild claims” department? Why can't jp reach back to all those other masters he got those BB's from, or even give a name of who trained him for any of the skills he lay claims to.

Bottom line -Jp, quit Demile instead of seeing it through. This seems to be a familiar theme with him. He didn't have the guts to face Demile in person. So, he waits. He uses distance and a phone call to whine to Demile about how he felt, and then he quits. What makes this even funnier is jp goes around telling everyone how sorry he feels about that poor, pathetic bastard, Demile. And now, just recently on the fsd website, he embraces the only connection he has to Bruce Lee, James Demile (imagine that!), and works it all he can... kinda' like the way he started out, back in 79. This is devolving, yes.

NLP- it's a pseudoscience. Look it up.

Where is Bob Wall? Did he bring back jp's lawn chair?

Just random.

Old1o1
    Got to get the winter gut off! This is going to hurt!
    Last edited by old1o1; 4/04/2009 10:12pm at . Reason: sense and sensibility..again

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 6:44pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ho-Hum... Not much going on here.

Is this some sort of confession????

From the fsd blog April 3,2009

>>>>It's quite a feat, I can tell you that.
    Looking back on my mom and dad's humble beginnings to what they've accomplished during the past 30 years, it should serve as inspiration to anyone who ever felt like they didn't have a chance or that the odds were stacked up against them.

In the end, your success rests upon YOUR shoulders.

You can have great coaches, or maybe even bad instructors. You can read all the right books and articles.

You might have support or no support from your family.

You might be educated or self-taught.

You might have all the right credentials and diplomas on the wall. You might be broke or wealthy.

You might be young or old. You might be fearful or commited. None of those guarantee success or failure.

What you do need is a burning desire, a clear vision, enough of the right reasons for wanting to reach the goals you've set, and consistently following through on them.

Just being able to say: "I've been open for... or "I've been doing such and such for 30 years" isn't enough.
    <<<<<<
    Also

I guess Santa Bob is coming to town after all!
    I'm petty, so I'm going to point out that Bob has no title in front of his name.

Sijo Jacques Patenaude & Bob Wall Seminar
    Saturday May 16th, 2009
    335 Catherine St, Ottawa ON
    Hurry, before all the good seats are gone! After all, it's the long weekend and I'm sure everyone will want to spend their Saturday at this seminar.

Old1o1
    I'm Grasping at Straws Here