Page 13 of 223 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 141516172363113 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tks for the info pseudo genki.
    interesting that sBP didn't follow the newsletter's policy about mandatory equipment. then again, he is also responsible (i think it was his idea) of one of the most Mcdojo-esque policy ever (the gotta-have-outside-witness-as-you-larp-for-your-rank policy)

i really don't know much about the fighters who participated. fangers were pretty new also to competiting, so no one can take that away from them. then again, i have a beef that only the few selected/groomed students do this while the majority of regular FSD members play in LARP land with aerobic workout.

i don't recall sBP ever fighting "MMA" tho he seems to be a big fan of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:47pm

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123
    iamalion
    FSD actually doesn't have many "fancy kicks". maybe you can start a thread in YMAS.
    Actually I was told by a TKD student turned fanger that there is a lot of TKD in FSD (he's since moved on to muay thai thankfully). Spinning heel hook kick not fancy enough for you? And crescent kicks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 7:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    crescents are used for "flexibility and balance", not for sparring.

the spinning hook kick was a green and above technique... i personally only learned it once. i really can't define FSD as one having fancy kicks, tho some sifus do high kicks in demos.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 2:50pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123
    iamalion
    FSD actually doesn't have many "fancy kicks". maybe you can start a thread in YMAS.
    Sorry Fanger, the videos show a bunch of the fancy straight legged kicks. Did you miss that class?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Sorry Fanger, the videos show a bunch of the fancy straight legged kicks. Did you miss that class?
    as i recall, one of the questions for yellow sash or yellow+blue is "what are the disadvantages / advantages of the high kicks"

pros were : they built balance/flexibility/etc.
    cons : low percentage move, not practical, etc.

call FSD crappling, but i personally can't call FSD a style with "fancy kicks". They might do it in demos but only by high ranked fangers (sifus). As it was taught in class, because of teh deadly str33t concept, fancy kicks weren't encouraged.

the common fanger can do : front kicks, side kicks, round kicks, snapping toe kicks (groin kick) and kick to the knees (i forgot the name of this one), all from the waist down.

the most "fancy" kick you get is the "spinning rear thrust", as shown by none other than sJP in one of the youtube vids (the one where he pretends to walk away and actually seem to wave bye)

btw, saying that FSD had TKD like kicks is really far fetched, though my experience with TKD date close to 20 years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 9:12pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ceejoe's Deadly Dim Mak....

Okay, driving home from Montreal today and I ended up behind a Mercedes SUV with the license plate "Sifu M" -- okay so we can safely assume who that was (or at least owns the car).

Now, since this thread is "Tales from the Inner Circle", I started thinking about what tales I was regaled with while a student (never in the inner circle but a BBC though).

Now, my old Seafood was a often story teller about the grand ol' days at the bar. About how holding someone in a head lock and repeatedly punching them in the face was referred to as "feeding someone a sandwich". I though he'd tear up with nostalgia...

A second tale, which I've never heard anything else about posted, was about sJP's ability at "pressure points". My old Seafood waxed poetic about CeeJoe's skills and how good he was at immobilizing his arm (the sifu's) with only a slight touch or correct pressure points, and that's how he knew that sJP was a true master (or something to that effect, it was over a year ago, maybe two when I heard this story after all).

Now, I haven't heard any one else ever reported a story about CeeJoe claiming to have the deadly dim mak, or even such skills. Can anyone else further corroborate any claims of pressure point skills by sJP or his kin?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 8:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the Dingo
    a mercedes SUV? maybe i should have stayed in FSD, joined Leardership, and opened my own school :p

never heard about sJP's pressure points skills. tho i did take some kubotan seminars with sBP... but i don't know how "valid" these were... but LARPing with pressure points was fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 6:06pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, the kubotan seminar ... one thing that stuck me as odd before I left -- it was free to non-fangers ... but if you were a paid member it cost you to enroll... A lot of the seminars were like that, 1/2 price if you were not already a paid FSD member.

Nice... skimming extra profits from your dedicated followers while trying to entice new member with cheaper/free seminars....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't forget the fucking "bring a friend seminar" in lieu of a standard class.

the concept was you that HAD to bring a friend to participate in a super duper street defense seminar.

in other words if you couldn't bring someone for whatever reason, you lost a class. this pissed me off because this kind of crap would happen on the days when there was supposed to be sparring.

speaking of kubotan seminars, they'd often end with "sparring" match ups. one guy would have a kubotan and the other would try to grapple/crapple. (no striking allowed)

i recall fondly that i got arm barred (i had the kubotan) by this tiny girl from france who had some judo experience. so much for pressure points when you are out grappled!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 7:46am

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm.....Judo wins vs. FSD.......nawwwww.....impossible I tell you! Impossible!