Page 12 of 222 FirstFirst ... 289101112 131415162262112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info...

i thought that it was a funky theory... and since aliveness isn't really FSD's forte... i never got to spar with kali sticks and test it.

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:26am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123
    myrmeco
    hey i got some questions regarding fanger kali vs gamma kali.

remember how we were taught to do "checking hands"? the idea was to block with the kali, then do the checking hand (like a slap on the other guy's hand) as a back up plan. which is, like ok, whatever.
    Geez, do they really refer to the stick as a "kali"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they call it kali sticks. maybe i screwed up. tho some fangers have casually referred as "kali" like in "tu bloques avec le kali" and stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:59am

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah they called them "kali sticks." I'm betting that calling them "kalis" is a french thing.
    Anyway there are a couple different streams of Kali at GAMMA and to be honest I haven't done that class in a while, so I can't say for certain. But they're much more aware of the fact that you're supposed to assume the stick is actually a knife (machete actually). Thus I don't think you'd take the chance of just checking the hand and assuming the blade careening towards your collar will also stop. All the checking I practiced involved checking the stick and using your free hand to pass or block the other person's arm. You do attack the hand often, though.. I mostly learned to do it with the stick-equivalent of jabs.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 2:30pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just curious as to how you all would see a current Fanger justifying what is obviously a flawed art right now? I mean bravo to the boys for stepping up but it wasn't the epic 'boom' I'm sure Jack-In-the-Closet wanted. These guys must watch UFC. How do you sit in the bar and watch an event like that and say "Pfft, I could take him." I mean that's like watching John Holmes and saying you measure up......

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 6:12pm

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where do you think FSD gets all its crappling from? watching UFC, and buying tapes. Also, the power of denial and delusions of grandeur are HUGE in that place, so justifying it (to them) would be easy, until of course you bring up a point that they cannot deny, then they do what they always do, they either stay silent, or they go on an angry tirade trying to derail you from the subject at hand. I'm not sure a fanger would sit at the bar and say that, but they would sure as hell bring up the str33t vs sport argument, and we all know where that goes....

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 7:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i don't know though... calling sBP not intelligent... why? and he did always used to make jokes during classes and always got some chuckles here and there...

u trained at montreal and they talked about the bar room brawls? i've never heard about it while at FSD, only from these boards.
    yeah, I guess he was of more or less average intelligence, and he made jokes and could laugh at a joke. i guess there's no need to malign the guy. however, he wasn't the funniest or smartest guy in the world. my standards are pretty high, i guess.

the bar room brawl talk was centered around high ranking students of Sifu Martin having to beat someone up in a bar as a rite of passage. hearing that surprised me somewhat, as you might well imagine. it might have been part of your brown belt test or something.

i left FSD over four years ago, and have been training in another style ever since.
    Last edited by pseudo-genki; 7/08/2007 7:44pm at .

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 7:18pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudo-genki
    the bar room brawl talk was centered around high ranking students of Sifu Martin having to beat someone up in a bar as a rite of passage. hearing that surprised me somewhat, as you might well imagine. it might have been part of your brown belt test or something.
    - LOL, maybe they got tired of hitting on the girls around the club and were just looking for some 'fun'....

Quote Originally Posted by pseudo-genki
    i left FSD over four years ago, and have been training in another style ever since.
    - Although you've probably already figured this out it's probably best not to say where you train right now unless you're prepared to be visited.....

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pseudo genki
    can you give us more details about your time at FSD downtown? if i recall, sBP was not a black sash at the time you trained?

was there testing fees then? i didn't have testing fees, except for weapons #1. i read in the newsletter 2004 that you had to buy equipments (t-shirts / DVD's) in order to advance in ranks. was this enforced?

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 5:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pseudo genki
    can you give us more details about your time at FSD downtown? if i recall, sBP was not a black sash at the time you trained?

was there testing fees then? i didn't have testing fees, except for weapons #1. i read in the newsletter 2004 that you had to buy equipments (t-shirts / DVD's) in order to advance in ranks. was this enforced?
    that's right. Brian was not allowed to be called "Sifu" then, only "Instructor" or more often, just "Brian." There were no testing fees and no DVDs were available/mandatory.

I'll take back anything bad that I said about him, except to say that I knew I could never be as dedicated/fanatical as was expected of me to advance to the higher levels.

Also, I heard that he got his face smashed in recently by a relative novice.

When I heard that he was fighting in that show (at TriStar?) I was surprised because he's a teacher and has been practicing for many years. Also I heard that his top students won a couple of fights. Why would they be fighting guys with not very much experience?

QUESTION: Does anybody know the guy who beat Brian? how much experience does he have? where he trains?

what about the other guys on the card who lost to the FSDers? who are they and were they as inexperienced as i heard?

When I was there in 2002 Brian mentioned possibly fighting in mma. What happened with that?