222308 Bullies, 3610 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2212
Page 115 of 222 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 7:52am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Dennism and thank you for taking the time to post here. I am very much looking forward to your contributions to this thread - I am sure your perspectives and knowledge will make this far more interesting to read. It is refreshing to see concise responses from former FSD - hope you will choose to continue to enrich this thread.

To echo Askari, I would also be interested to know which 20% of the material posted here is not true.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 8:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: asdsd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patrick and Scott both fought , they both only had around a week to train they both won. I"ve seen the trophy myself. There are no vids of it.

Also regarding the franchise.. if you sell it as a franchise its a franchise.. no matter if you partner with a family member or not. My franchise was mine and not with a member of a family.

Like i said before i'm not here as a person to give you the insider information i'm just posting a few things i'm not a lab rat for you guys to poke and prod at for hours on end. I might state my opinion in a few conversations but that is it.

But here is what you want to hear you already know it cause you've been saying it and reconfirming it all along.

Yes they are expensive. Yes they teach stuff that they arent' certified for teaching ( use grappling for an example ) the grappling taught in fsd relies purely on strength and conditioning saying that put a higher level FSD student against a bjj blue belt and if there is no rules ( allow some hitting ) FSD will win hands down . I've rolled with quite a bit of BJJ people and if it is just grappling i'll loose but once i go into some dirty tactics like stricking lightly the throat or in the ribs they can't put nothing on me if I don't let them, and its just my conditioning not my skill.

They know that BJJ schools grapple really well that is why they are starting to teach some grappling ( albeit using improper terms , calling the butterfly guard a shrimp ) .

anyhow i'm rambling Later dudes

get out and train you lazy bastards LOL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 2:49pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me get this straight...

A FSD student wouldn't be able to beat a BJJ Blue Belt in grappling, so long as they abide by "grappling rules" such as no striking, slamming, biting, pinching, fishhooking, ...etc. However, you believe that a FSD student would beat a BJJ Blue Belt if those techniques were allowed?

If FSD students can use striking, slamming, biting and other dirty tricks, can't a BJJ Blue Belt also use them? In fact, wouldn't a BJJ Blue Belt have a broader knowledge of the dirty tricks available to them in a no rules grappling environment?

It doesn't really make sense. Both fighters can use dirty tricks to win; however, the BJJ Blue Belt has solid groundfighting while the FSD'er doesn't. I fail to see how a "no rules" fight would favour a FSD'er...

Also, who's to say that a BJJ Blue Belt has inferior conditioning? Conditioning is seldom relative to the martial art you practice and moreso to the person practicing it. I've seen fatass TKD'ers, and I've also seen athletic TKD'ers, just like I've seen out of shape BJJ'ers and solid BJJ'ers. Again, I don't believe fitness and conditioning should be dependant on your chosen martial art. Furthermore, I don't pay my instructor to make me do pushups and sprints; I can do those at home for free.

Maybe I'm being near-sighted. If anyone disagrees with me, I'm open to hearing your opinion.
    Last edited by Slamurai; 5/28/2008 2:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 6:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamurai
    Let me get this straight...

The sugary drink comes in many flavours, my friend...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 7:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just my opinion from what i've seen at a few school that alot of grapplers don't have the conditioning to take hits cause alot of them never been hit hard while trying to apply techniques. I'm not telling you what is absolute and should only be taken as an opinion. Why have this message board if you can't give an opinion and secondly its kinda out of context of this board anyhow at this point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 10:54am

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You stated your opinion and I stated mine. That's what this message board is for.

What type of conditioning is part of FSD that isn't part of any other martial art? Not what the instructors do at home; I mean, what does the average student do during class and how does it contribute to them being in more "conditioned" than a student from boxing, judo, muay thai, pankration or taekwondo, for example?

Would you say FSD focuses mostly on conditioning or on technique?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 11:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm just saying my expirience .. i'm not here to defend them in anyway trust me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of conditioning is part of FSD that isn't part of any other martial art? Not what the instructors do at home; I mean, what does the average student do during class and how does it contribute to them being in more "conditioned" than a student from boxing, judo, muay thai, pankration or taekwondo, for example?
    The *average* student in FSD can't fight at ALL, in my experience. The best we've even seen is that the Sifus and some of the more advanced have some brawling/kickboxing skills, and decent wind. Maybe a handful of students get that good. It's been my experience that the guys I knew personally that I thought could fight were all experienced in some other more realistic 'art' first. However, my experience may not be typical. I was only training at the downtown school.

It only makes sense though, they don't sell fighting skill, they sell the PERCEPTION of fighting skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:06pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You stated your opinion and I stated mine. That's what this message board is for.

Come on! Buy the DVDs! jp is gonna starve!

I, and others, "know" that in class they call it "Station Training" (patent pending, copyright pending, pending pending). There is two or three variations that I like to refer to.

Interval training uses a selection of exercises preformed for determined period of time at a particular intensity, with a small rest between each exercise or a change of challenge (ie. cardio, musclular, upper body, lower body, etc.)

Hi Intensity Interval, well, you just push the variables to create exhaustion or pre-exhaustion before changing exercise, with or without rest. Ala Crossfit.com, but not as intense or goal oriented, and definitely like Demile's .... I mean jp's take on it.

The above definitions are my interpretations, as is the the next.

fsd uses a mix of usually randomly picked exercises that are preformed "all out" for a minute before one rapidly moves on to the next. Enthusiasm is created by instructor's loud coaching with a background of music. Therein lays the one "secret" of "Staion Training".

There is only so much one can take of Frank Stallone's "Eye of the Tiger", therefore, students focus and use the pain of doing the exercises to block out the even more punishing music selections.

Usually there are 12 exercises picked, perhaps a cultish reference to the 12 stations of the cross where Jesus fell in exhaustion and pain, to rest, but for a moment, as the Roman guard, Stallonius ushered jp...uh... JC toward his death (I, for one, would certainly have made a break for it). Did you notice 12 is a popular number in the bible. 12 stations, 12 apostles, 12 step programs, 12 patriarchs, 12 tribes. Dan Browne, are you getting ideas?????

I find that random exercise, doled out to a group of different individuals of varying attributes and needs, will serve no specific purpose for an individuals need, but it sure gets the class out in a hurry, and with an endorphin high. Makes you forget all the crap you learned in class, I figure. Get rid of Stallone and bring in Hendrix. I feel like pizza. Anyone else?

Train your attributes or deficiencies with a wise coach!

Old1o1
    Just Funning... or am eye????
    Ok! On with the serious stuff!
    Dennism, are you on the bus, or are you off the bus?
    Last edited by old1o1; 5/29/2008 1:09pm at . Reason: Brain faster than typing finger!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:38pm

Style: Former FSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conditioning. No question. Warm up + stations can often take up to 40 minutes of a 60 minute class. Many times class does not start on time so the "technique" part of the class is even shorter.

I can't remember when you came into this thread, but even a cursory glance through it reveals many references to the fitness level of the sifus. They try to impress with the fitness. Kung Fu Magazine had a feature on their station training.

Their fitness does not make them good martial artists, but they certainly do a good job of at least trying to make people more fit.