222100 Bullies, 3649 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2212
Page 104 of 222 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 10:07pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Trust me studbolt, this thread is not even the half of it. Check out FSD Part I and Part II ("The Fangshizzle"), plus the FSD Sordid History threads for a more complete docu-drama.

Im on it! Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 7:21am

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my google jitsu is lacking post the links for us here, for us lazy folks

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:30am

Style: Former FSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_nye68
    my google jitsu is lacking post the links for us here, for us lazy folks
    If you look through my posts on this thread there is a full list of all the threads about Fang Shen Do. Page 82, post #811
    Last edited by greenguy; 4/21/2008 9:33am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 9:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if anyone has taken a look into the legality of FSD's sanshou tournament

It falls directly under this Ontario law stating that it is illegal to :
    Engage in a fight that has been pre arranged
    Promote it
    be a backer or a referee / judge

Boxing / kickboxing / muay thai are exempted if it sanctioned under a recognized athletic commission.

If some wants to make a lot of problems for the orginization here is your ammo.. hell they even posted pictures and advertized for their tournament
    Its typicall of them to go and do something to get a few thousand dollars for a day of watching their students fight without looking into any sort of legality .

Criminal Code
    PART II: OFFENCES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER
    Prize Fights

Engaging in prize fight

83. (1) Every one who

(a) engages as a principal in a prize fight,

(b) advises, encourages or promotes a prize fight, or

(c) is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Definition of “prize fight”

(2) In this section, “prize fight” means an encounter or fight with fists or hands between two persons who have met for that purpose by previous arrangement made by or for them, but a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass, or any boxing contest held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province, shall be deemed not to be a prize fight.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 83; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 186.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 10:59am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the difference between the FSD sanshou tournament and any other martial arts tournament? Perhaps it is my lack of knowledge about FSD sanshou, but ...

Is it relevant to prize fight as defined under law, and if so please explain how?
    Otherwise, this event is above the board just like any other MA tournament, and is the sort of thing we should encourage. I don't think it's appropriate to put the question about the legality of something on this board (especially MABS) without looking into it and thinking it through first.
    Last edited by MrJ; 4/24/2008 11:02am at . Reason: context statement needs caveat

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with MrJ.

it's more that FSD is teaching sanshou that's problematic. the program just appeared out of nowhere... but i bet some sifus were learning from DVD's and stuff.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ
    What is the difference between the FSD sanshou tournament and any other martial arts tournament? Perhaps it is my lack of knowledge about FSD sanshou, but ...

Is it relevant to prize fight as defined under law, and if so please explain how?
    Otherwise, this event is above the board just like any other MA tournament, and is the sort of thing we should encourage. I don't think it's appropriate to put the question about the legality of something on this board (especially MABS) without looking into it and thinking it through first.
    I had attempted to post something similar to this, but the interweb was hungry and ate my post.

Chump: can you scan and post an ad for this tournament? Either that or post a link to an ad?

I am guessing it would be considered no different than a karate, tae kwon do, or kick boxing tournament.

I have nothing against calling out Fang Shen Do for their crappy technique, lack of ethics, lack of morals, etc, as can be seen from any of my posts. In this case, however, I think they should be tentatively given kudos. The Fang Shen Do threads are now YEARS old, and for those years one of the critiques has been that they do not compete. As I know nothing beyond Chump's post, I am assuming they are inviting competitors from outside the Fang Shen Do family. That would be another point in their favour.

Hosting a tournament that goes against their insular nature is a step forward. They should get some pats on the back for that.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123
    i agree with MrJ.

it's more that FSD is teaching sanshou that's problematic. the program just appeared out of nowhere... but i bet some sifus were learning from DVD's and stuff.
    All that means is that they are staying true to form. Thumbs down on the sanshou training, which appears to be as much bullshido as the rest of Fang Shen Do, but thumbs up for the competition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as far as i know, they do not communicate with other san shou schools. it'll mostly be an inter FSD event, with lot of crappling and growling.

i doubt that they'll turn down people from other MA's though, as the email that i got for the first event (there was no san shou at that time) stated to bring family/friends/outsiders. but they never advertised or promoted to people outside of FSD.

something i don't get from the sanshou pics... why are they doing subs and hitting each other when on the ground? aren't they supposed to stop once things hit the ground?

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger123
    something i don't get from the sanshou pics... why are they doing subs and hitting each other when on the ground? aren't they supposed to stop once things hit the ground?
    I am sure there are people far more qualified to answer this question. My understanding, however, is that in sanshou takedowns are allowed. After a successful take down the competitors reset and start again. I don't know if that is correct or not, but it seems to be how it is in the sanshou competition videos I've seen on YouTube and such.

If the Fang Shen Do people are doing different...well really would it surprise you if they bastardized another MA?