Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 2:04pm

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riposte
    any more updates? good review of the muay thai fight btw.
    Thank you. I hope someone posts videos some time soon.. last I heard the fighters hadn't gotten their copies from the promoter yet, but I know some FSDers were taping it.

About Brian: from what I've heard (third hand info, admittedly) Brian's injuries are of the broken-facial-bone variety (I'm guessing. Actually what I heard was that his jaw is/was wired shut) and he is healing well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 10:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm just gonna do some more bitchin' here....

in FSD, the use of hand wraps are discouraged because you won't have time to use 'em on str33t. so fangers hit the heavy bag/mitts bare handed, hoping the "no pain no gain!" and that it's a contiditioning exercise.

i vividly recall new fangers (not even white sash) who'd hit the heavy bag all growling, obviously in pain. and the other fanger would encourage them (yeah! hit harder! yeah!)

me, i ended up with extremely weak wrists (never had this problem prior to FSD) and i get wrist pain easily especially after my BJJ.

i think the conditioning thing might work for a few ppl, but working the heavy bag without proper wraps/gloves = damaged wrists in the long run for the majority of the population.

the more time i spend outside of FSD, the more i regret having joined there ever in the first place. but back then i didn't know any better... eh. and it took 2 years to wake up... eh.

lesson learned, ma!

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, I am also a first-time poster to this forum, although I've been reading it for a while. I was a FSD student under Brian Paquette for a little over a year (yellow sash blue stripe), and found him to be an extremely focused, dedicated, hard-working, and friendly person. However, he had a blind devotion to the system, and did not seem particularly intelligent nor did he posess anything that could be described as a sense of humour.

I don't have much to add other than to say that I sensed something was up with that school early on. There was a definite rush that came with the intensity of traning and
    "pushing yourself to the max" (while screaming encouragemtent and being screamed at yourself) but most of the techniques were so simple as to be no-brainers or extremely hard to use effectively and the prices were outrageous. I wanted to spar but was not allowed to do so without taking "sparring classes" which cost a considerable extra sum.

In the end, I left cold-turkey when my contract came up for renewal. I moved on to BJJ and haven't looked back since.

I was not involved in any terrifying/disturbing instances, however I did hear about a few things spoken of with pride by newer students who are now high ranking in the system. The instigated bar fights were a big selling point for some of these young men who were, it was obvious to me even at the time, being "groomed" for success in the system. I also heard rumours that sJP had assault rifles and other guns at his compound, but that CANNOT be corroborated by anything I saw.

One thing I did find funny was that the nutritional guidebook that you get at some belt ranking or other tells you never to eat meat or chocolate, but allows you to drink quite a bit of alcohol. I was like, WTF?

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome aboard!
    always good to hear from ex fangers.

i don't know though... calling sBP not intelligent... why? and he did always used to make jokes during classes and always got some chuckles here and there...

u trained at montreal and they talked about the bar room brawls? i've never heard about it while at FSD, only from these boards.

the FSD nutrition guide is nothing groundbreaking, obviously not written by someone with a background in nutrition... i don't remember about the alcohol bit. are you sure about this? i can dig up my old FSD manual, there were nutrition tips at the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 1:59pm

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea I remember, its towards the front of the manual. He tallks about **** like eating meat sparingly, drinking distilled water (WTF?) and saying that eye exercises prevent Cataracts (even though cataracts have nothing to do with the damn eye muscle) and also slow the onset of presbyopia, although he doesn't call it that because that would be too big of a word. Its something like age related reading problems or some bullshit like that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the manual helpful for the person who hasn't spent time on nutrition but a few things in there I don't agree with. I found a new school which is literally half the price of BBC membership and training available every day of the week all times of the day for Muay Thai and BJJ. The Toronto FSD school is only open 3 days a week. I get more of a workout at my new school and I am finally getting good feedback on my technique. Now I had hundreds of dollars worth of FSD stuff & equipment that I don't know what to do with. With all that I have been through I truly appreciate my new school and I am now done with franchises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:44am

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome pseudo-genki. Did your contract just expire? If so I bet we've crossed paths.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudo-genki
    One thing I did find funny was that the nutritional guidebook that you get at some belt ranking or other tells you never to eat meat or chocolate, but allows you to drink quite a bit of alcohol. I was like, WTF?
    If I remember correctly there were two pages of diet guidelines that contradicted each other, at least in the manual I was given. I don't recall either saying go nuts with alcohol. I think one said no alcohol and the other said "ok in moderation" or somesuch.

I also think a lot of it was just thrown together to appear purposeful to someone who knows nothing at all about nutrition. For instance, the distilled water bit. (seriously wtf?) I think it also said you shouldn't eat any mustard or pepper. I've lost my manual (alas) so I can't double check all the nonsense.

Also, personally I made at least two jokes that I can remember to sBP and he laughed at both. Maybe you're just not that funny? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Riposte
    eye exercises
    Oh yeah! I forgot all about those.

Quote Originally Posted by monster888
    I found the manual helpful for the person who hasn't spent time on nutrition but a few things in there I don't agree with.
    Maybe, but as long as they were just throwing together whatever they thought might sound good they could have at least taken the time to rip off something reasonable like this: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493 That said, in my experience no one ever pushed the diet.

Quote Originally Posted by monster888
    Now I had hundreds of dollars worth of FSD stuff & equipment that I don't know what to do with.
    I was so pissed when I found out how idiotic and useless the gloves were. Fortunately I was able to sell them to someone, though at a price nowhere near what they cost me. I gave away most of the clothes. I still have the facemasked helmet and uniform top. And GOD was it all expensive... Anyway, anyone want a free FSD BBC uniform top? TKDBB, I'm looking at you :D

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a cosplayer. Describe it.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 1:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the shirts I can no longer wear but it's not something I can give away for free unless someone wants to do FSD which I might not recommend. The mask I will probably never use along with the gloves. The gloves are cool but nobody else seems to use them and it might be the reason why all the equipment seems to be exclusive (so you can't buy it used or get it from someone else easily). The FSD shoes were useless to begin with and fell apart after 1 month. I like my rattan and can keep those. FSD top I don't know what to do with either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 8:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i also have lots of FSD stuff

4-5 FSD shirts (BBC and regular) ! i use them during BJJ, and hence proudly breaking the FSD rule to never wear them outside FSD. wheee. though some BJJ guys describe me as the kung fu guy now... oh well...

rolling on mats are hard, so i figure they'll be to worn too wear in a few months... until i get my rash guard...

still have one FSD black pants left... the other one got torn after a month of BJJ, before i got my gi...

the gloves are not too bad... there are other guys (kenpo, JKD) who use them, so i'm sure selling them wouldn't be a problem, though i'll keep em in case i do some casual stand up light contact with BJJ folks. same for mask.

Hedgehogey
    the standard fanger wears black pants, FSD shoes, and a white cotton shirt with FSD logo. not very fancy.

however, BBC / Master's club top uniform have a "chinese" look plus the cool FSD patch. BBC uniform top is grey, while Master's is red-purple ish. the material is also harder than a regular clothing material.

i'm glad that i never spent money on buying those tops. only t-shirst...