Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 7:55am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see too many problems with this. I have been training since before there were any places to learn from around here. And I think a lot of people have that problem. My cousin for example. There is no martial arts school within 300 mils of his house. So they have no options. The internet and DVDs have allowed them to learn a little bit. And he has actually done pretty god in tournaments.

But having sparring partners is crucial. I think the main problem with this is that it takes money out of MA schools pockets if people start training in their garages.

I went to a BJJ school and all they had us doing was shrip crawls, umpas, and sweeps for like 4 months. During that time, I was using the Machado online program. When I went in on Sat. which was open mat, the only reason I could hold my own was because of what I saw on the Machado site...Not my shrimp crawls.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diesel_, do you use the Machado program regularly? I've been curious about it. "Diesel_tke does review?"

Distance learning gets more appealing when you consider that quality training isn't always available. Or what if, like me, you just can't spare evenings (family&training commitments) or days (work); but watching tape at 5:30 am would be a way to add more training information.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes some instructors and self-proclaimed "experts" don't want others discovering what fakes they are or what a scam their schools, contracts, instructors, and programs actually are. So the free exchange of technique, and knowledge, via the Internet intimidates them since they can't stop it, and it exposes their own lack of technique, coaching ability, credentials, and knowledge.

I notice one post saying it might hurt MA schools. I don't see that happening. Or that it might get people to start working out in their garages. Actually, Rickson Gracie, Rorian Gracie, Royce Gracie and their cousins, all the five Machado brothers, all started training and teaching out of a garage in Torrance California when they first came to America, and introduced Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to American students. Trust me - I know.

I wonder where MMA would be if they all hadn't used that garage in Torrance for workouts?

If the free exchange of valid video training material by credentialled instructors, like the Machado's, DCGonz, and others, intimidates some people in the martial arts community - too bad. It sounds like a personal issue to me. (I would wonder about the credentials and experience of those guys.)

I like the site. I think it not only helps people learn, but that it helps people see through the wanna-be's that want others to think they are qualified to teach, or that they rate as MMA fighters. (LOL). Martial arts knowledge in books, DVD's, Videos, and now by way of free Internet resources - has always threaten the egos of insecure coaches, and practioners, since the beginning. That's typically because these types are mostly legends in their own minds.

TV (or Internet Video?) doesn't hit back? Get real. Get over it. Actually, in this case especially, it delivers a KO to scam artists, fakes, and wanna-be's. The material on the website teaches and educates.

We all know that getting hit can hurt. Big deal. If the alleged point is that no one can learn unless an instructor hits them, well, go hit your students. Or, maybe what some are trying to say is that the only way to learn is to have somebody hit you? Please. I know it probably hurts to get shot. But I don't need to experience being shot in order to learn how to shoot straight - and dispatch the enemy.

If one thinks they know so much about the Arts that they are above learning anything else then Great! Don't use the website! Or better yet - how about (just for starters) listing your instructors legitimate credentials and lineage on your own website before trying to lock anyone into yearly contracts?

Too bad if a website like this intimidates some businesses and they want to try and put it down. I think it's great to hear all the whinning from those types of "experts" and to expose it on the Internet.

We can all see through it.

The DefenseOnDemand website offers nearly 24 hours of organized online training videos instantly available for free - its a great way to learn, to discover, to enhance your training, to help someone become a more effective and confident fighter. Period. End of story. That's all they're saying. And the website delivers.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ll3123; 10/25/2008 8:44pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a fan of online resources, even for people who are training. Sometimes it's the only way to learn parts of the fight game that you're school just doesn't cover. Most of my knowledge of leg locks comes from videos and articles online, because neither of my BJJ coaches particularly like them.
    And honestly, the videos on that website are probably going to teach you to hit harder than a good number of the fist-chambering, horse-stancing krotty, TKD, and kung fu instructors out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 4:50pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should watch the kids roll, pretty interesting for me since I haven't seen such young kids doing this stuff.

http://www.defenseondemand.com/video_home.asp?vid=2

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    I went to a BJJ school and all they had us doing was shrip crawls, umpas, and sweeps for like 4 months. During that time, I was using the Machado online program. When I went in on Sat. which was open mat, the only reason I could hold my own was because of what I saw on the Machado site...Not my shrimp crawls.
    :psyduck:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ll3123
    Sometimes some instructors and self-proclaimed "experts" don't want others discovering what fakes they are or what a scam their schools, contracts, instructors, and programs actually are. So the free exchange of technique, and knowledge, via the Internet intimidates them since they can't stop it, and it exposes their own lack of technique, coaching ability, credentials, and knowledge.

I notice one post saying it might hurt MA schools. I don't see that happening. Or that it might get people to start working out in their garages. Actually, Rickson Gracie, Rorian Gracie, Royce Gracie and their cousins, all the five Machado brothers, all started training and teaching out of a garage in Torrance California when they first came to America, and introduced Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to American students. Trust me - I know.

I wonder where MMA would be if they all hadn't used that garage in Torrance for workouts?

If the free exchange of valid video training material by credentialled instructors, like the Machado's, DCGonz, and others, intimidates some people in the martial arts community - too bad. It sounds like a personal issue to me. (I would wonder about the credentials and experience of those guys.)

I like the site. I think it not only helps people learn, but that it helps people see through the wanna-be's that want others to think they are qualified to teach, or that they rate as MMA fighters. (LOL). Martial arts knowledge in books, DVD's, Videos, and now by way of free Internet resources - has always threaten the egos of insecure coaches, and practioners, since the beginning. That's typically because these types are mostly legends in their own minds.

TV (or Internet Video?) doesn't hit back? Get real. Get over it. Actually, in this case especially, it delivers a KO to scam artists, fakes, and wanna-be's. The material on the website teaches and educates.

We all know that getting hit can hurt. Big deal. If the alleged point is that no one can learn unless an instructor hits them, well, go hit your students. Or, maybe what some are trying to say is that the only way to learn is to have somebody hit you? Please. I know it probably hurts to get shot. But I don't need to experience being shot in order to learn how to shoot straight - and dispatch the enemy.

If one thinks they know so much about the Arts that they are above learning anything else then Great! Don't use the website! Or better yet - how about (just for starters) listing your instructors legitimate credentials and lineage on your own website before trying to lock anyone into yearly contracts?

Too bad if a website like this intimidates some businesses and they want to try and put it down. I think it's great to hear all the whinning from those types of "experts" and to expose it on the Internet.

We can all see through it.

The DefenseOnDemand website offers nearly 24 hours of organized online training videos instantly available for free - its a great way to learn, to discover, to enhance your training, to help someone become a more effective and confident fighter. Period. End of story. That's all they're saying. And the website delivers.

Cheers.
    Buddy, you missed the point and then didn't read my other post. I'm not saying that online, book, or video resources are bad. All I'm saying is that you can't get an MMA video and then train and expect to be able to step into the ring.

One because you are not having someone cretique your technique. So you might spend a year learning to throw combinations without having someone tell you on the first punch that you are dropping your other hand. So then you spend a year learning the wrong technique.

Two you can't lear to kick box without having somone punch back. Because you will not know how your body reacts to getting punched in the face. You have to condition your body to take the punch and react properly. You can't do that without the real thing.

Three you can't learn submissions without drilling the **** out of them on a person. Because you have to put the reps in for the muscle memory. You also have to have someone to put them on so you can learn the proper positions. You also need someone who knows what they are doing to tell you if you are doing wrong.

An yes, I agree with you about the gracies and the machado's teaching out of their garage. I know the story. But you missed another point, they had already spent years of training. They weren't learnign from a video.

As I said in my other post, I have used on line resources. The Machado one extensively. I loved it. I also have many books and DVDs. But I also train with real live breathing people. You have to if you are going to truley learn. That was all I was saying.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    Diesel_, do you use the Machado program regularly? I've been curious about it. "Diesel_tke does review?"

Distance learning gets more appealing when you consider that quality training isn't always available. Or what if, like me, you just can't spare evenings (family&training commitments) or days (work); but watching tape at 5:30 am would be a way to add more training information.
    I used it for a long time. About a year. Then I stopped. Just because I needed to redivert funds when my second son was born.

I love the site. I would recomend it to anyone who wants another resource to learning. And I have to tell you. Their site is a lot better than this defense on demand site. But you are paying for it. Also this defense site is new so they will probably add to it as it goes along.

But as far as sheer content, professionalism, and quality, The Machado site is awasome. I can post more about it if you would like.

P.S. Their customer service was great!!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    defence on demand....is that name copyrighted?

im thinking of starting my own private mercenary army, firsti wanted to go for the whole Cobra look from g.i.joe but its copyrighted.

so if this one is still free ill take it.

Posted On:
    10/28/2008 2:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what? - You missed the point - Mr. Pensacola.

DOD isn't saying watch the videos and you'll be ready to step into the ring. So don't insinuate such.

DOD's theme is "Enhance Your Training". That's their message.

I asked Dan to come onsite and look at the thread. He laughed. He told me his Google Analytics showed one visitor from Pensacola for a total time on site of 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

So while he thought it was great you liked his friend Jean Jacques' website, he thought it funny that you felt qualified to compare the content of the sites, considering that the DOD database is nearly 24 hours in total, and your entire visit was less than 4 minutes - Mr. Pensacola.

Now that's what I call Bullshido.

And as for the Russian Pro-Wrestler who wants to use the name DefenseOnDemand - Dan said it would be an honor to have your private mercenary army named after the website. And that he would extend the military discount towards all the DOD bald head logo t-shirts that your army may require. And also important to note he said was the fact that he spells Defense with an "s" rather than a "c".

Now Cheers. Don't get me going. :ninja2:
    Last edited by ll3123; 10/28/2008 4:44am at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast