Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 7:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Use of knee braces

Hey guys,

Recently my doctor told me i might have damaged my knee caps a little bit (not too serious) and i should take it easy with training.

I did what he said,i only train 3 times a week now,bycicle an hour a day at least and walk a lot.

Also i bought some knee braces for support,here is my problem:everyone is telling me something else about using them,some say it's ok to wear them for a couple of hours non stop,others say you only wear them during training and then put them off because otherwise your knees are getting used to the braces too much.

That last one makes sense.

I'm almost 28 years,i'm about 80 kg,overall light build.

Who can enlighten me abiout the proper use of knee braces?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no doctor and I've never played one on TV but I have had a lot of experience with knee braces. (Judo can be rough on knees) When recovering from a knee injury, I train with knee braces on. They warm up the knees and give support for twisting motions etc. I only wear them out of class while the knees are still producing pain. After the pain clears up, I will still wear them for several weeks while training, to prevent re-injury. Eventually I wean myself from the brace. That is the hard part because you get used to the braces and feel vulnerable without them.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 8:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to wear knee braces as a protective measure, because I was TERRIFIED of knee injuries (my dad has horrible knees).
    However, like you mentioned, I felt like I was starting to get too reliant on them, and stopped wearing them a while ago.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 8:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't we just cover this in depth like a week ago?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 9:12pm

Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally wear a pair of knee braces just about everytime I do anykind of workout (due to having two blown ACLs in the past). But during the course of a normal day I don't wear them. There are times when I can get through a light workout just fine without them, but I perfer to have them on when I go to do a medium to intense work out just incase I might jam or twist it wrong.

Also, if you do use them for workouts, make sure you clean them out frequently as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 9:21pm

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've got bad knees then do everything you can to keep them braced and stable during exercise. Some people say they're a bad idea during training because they become a crutch, but unless you're squatting multiples of your bodyweight it really doesn't matter so much. Destroying your knee can be life-changing.

That said, I wouldn't wear them when not training, especially if you only have mild damage. After training, you might want to look into massage and heat packs to improve vascularity in the area.

(ps ask your doctor)

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 9:51pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Didn't we just cover this in depth like a week ago?
    I don't know how else to say it . . . :new_cussi

Individuals with ACL damage also have losses in proprioception of the knee, especially during the two months after injury. Using a brace during that time period should help with proprioception and may also control movement of the tibia and thus the forces placed on the ACL of the affected knee. Over longer periods of time, it is unclear that braces actually help with proprioception in ACL-deficient or ACL-repaired knees. It is also clear that the use of a brace changes the way in which muscles around the knee react to changes in knee position. Long-term, then, it is better to strengthen the ACL-recovered knee in a functional, sports-specific way and to rely on the improved strength to stabilise the knee, rather than using a brace as a permanent 'crutch'.
    http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...s-effects.html

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 3:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's a nice one ironlurker.
    i think i know what to do,thanks everyone!