OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My legs hurt.

I started riding my bike about two weeks ago to get back into exercising. Also, first time I did cardio in about a year.

Everything was going normal. Soreness, but nothing major. Then about 3 days ago my legs started to hurt. Not soreness. They aren't sore at all. It's as if they were weak or something. Like, doing a bodyweight squat already feels like I have some weight on me. Going up stairs is hard. =/

I live in Washington, so I go up hill both ways when riding my bike. I don't know if I overdid it or something, but I've never had pain like this before. Only happens when I do something, though. It doesn't hurt right now.

Any ideas what this could be? Should I just take some days off?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DOMS most likely. Is it in the quads (most likely), or the hamstrings?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quads...

Is it still alright to do some light exercising? I usually go at the lowest gear possible. I could switch to higher gears...

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It shouldn't be a problem to keep working out, so long as you easy on yourself.

In the meantime, Get some icy-hot, bengay (or even vick vaporub) and rub the crap out of your quads with it. If you can apply hot pads, that will be better. You could use a tennis ball or a rolling pin to do a deep massage on the quads (see the link below for ideas).

http://tpmassageball.com/quaddisfunction.php?sym=24

You also need to stretch the quads - take a look at the following stretches (pay attention to the precautions):

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Quadri...roneLying.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Quadriceps/SideLying.html

Be careful not to strain your knees when you stretch your quads, though. The main thing is to massage your quads and apply heat. That'll fix you up in no time.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 6:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will do. Thanks.

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 6:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I forgot, if you get to apply (or massage with) icy-hot, if you can wrap your quads and hamstrings with a 4" ACE wrap, that will feel sooooooo fucking good. It really helps get rid of the DOMS.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I had the same thing and someone (possibly El Macho) suggested massaging the affected areas while in the shower and alternating hot and cold water on it. This sorted it out in a couple of days for me.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 9:30am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you eating enough carbs and protein, drinking enough water and getting enough rest?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt that it's DOMS. If he says that he's not sore in that capacity, it could be that he's aggravating his legs through his positioning on the bike.

One other thing- You can't get rid of DOMS by any particular analgesic methods. It's a result of an acid called Pyroxidine (spelling is off I believe) During muscle trauma the tissues crack and release this stuff. This acid is highly caustic and seeps into the nerves causing that wonderful pain.
    Last edited by Equipoise; 6/15/2007 12:55pm at .