Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 3:24am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jab hurts neck/shoulder

I'm a right-handed guy. Sometimes when I punch the heavy bag with my left jab I get pain on the left side of my neck. It's actually pretty low on my neck and close to my left shoulder. I only feel the pain when doing the punching. I doesn't stick after I finish training.

I'm a noob to boxing, so I might well be doing something wrong. I think it might be related to trying to shield my chin with my shoulder too much. It might also be related to my scholiosis, though I hope not.

Is this common? Any advice?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 3:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't heard of it happening. Check with your coach that you're punching right and if it continues, see your doc or a physio.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jeansberg, you may want to check this discussion and see if any of the symptoms sound familiar to you: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56010
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 8:02am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read that thread and the symptoms aren't similar. Like I said, the pain is only momentary. I don't feel anything in my arms/shoulder/neck afterwards.

I had this problem occasionally when punching the heavy bag at my (non MA) gym. When I trained kickboxing for three months afterwards, I never had problem. I'm now back at the non-martial arts gym, and the problem seems to have returned. I guess I warmed up a whole lot more at the kickboxing gym than I do now prior to doing the bagwork.

Also the bag at my current gym is insanely heavy. They have it set up near the cardio equipment and it strikes me as pretty silly to have a bag that heavy in a gym that doesn't even offer any martial arts training except for fitness boxing. But that's a bit off-topic. :)

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 11:42am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, go see a chiropractor.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 4:44pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You got a pissy nerve... plain and fuckin simple.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:23pm

Style: BJJ/MMA/JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    You got a pissy nerve... plain and fuckin simple.
    Hey man.. I know that it sounds redundant here.. It's like, "hey.. I'm talkin English Here..".. but.. I agree.. You got a bad nerve(could be part of your scholiosis.., but I hope not.. chiropractor??).. TEMP FIX>> after training it to the point where it hurts.. tell your coach.. "hey man, it really hurts..".. go home.. eat 3 ibuprofen and then soak in a salt bath for at least 30 minz.. over time, it will heal correctly and you will be fine.. skip the ibuprofen every other day, as it affects the liver.. This has worked for me.. but.. ****.. I havnt had back/neck injuries.. KNOCK ON FUCKIN WOOD..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:49pm

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    even if the two above posters are correct, theres a reason most professionals wont give medical advice over a forum or other messaging service. theres an extremely high risk of misdiagnosis due to missed details. go see a professional in person.