Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saneape - not quite - You do pay money to join their Trainers In Training program but that is your status - a Trainer in Training - there is more you need to do to become a certified instructor (it's like college - you pay money to take the courses, then get your degree, not the other way around).

If you want to learn more check out:

http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/si...nt/view/40/61/ (this goes over what's included in the yearly fees)

http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/si...iew/39/62/1/1/ (minimum requirements to be in the program)

I'd love to see the name of any current trainer listed on the site who only sent an e-mail to Rodney and became a certified trainer (that would be major Bullshido so this is the place to call them out if you are correct). Now, I do believe you could send an e-mail and Rodney would probably let you start the Trainers in Training program (maybe even before sending some money) but again your status is not a certified trainer, just someone who is starting the process of learning to become one.
    Last edited by Student; 6/15/2007 7:16am at .

Stallowned!

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 7:20pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rampage used crazy monkey against Silva in their rematch. It worked really well until Rampage ate some knees. Im sure the whole "starving myself for 3 days" thing didn't help his performance either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 9:50am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen Rodney King's tapes from the SBGi series and it's really good...he offers really good rationale for doing things the CM way...it's non-attribute based (which is the whole underlying thing behind SBGi's methods) and attempts to provide trainees with a good foundation for defense without reliance on strength, speed, or athleticism...

As for the whole $1000.00 a year thing on the Crazy Monkey website, I have no experience with that.

I've tried integrating it into my Muay Thai training, with some decent success; I still use traditonal parries and checks and stuff; I've also kinda modified my stance to resemble Rodney's "hunchback stance" and I've noticed vast improvement, in terms of not getting punched directly on the jaw...and taking punches either right over my head or on my forehead...

The defense is really good for when you're up close and somebody's flurrying at you (as someone said, Page used it very well against Wandy)...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 8:30am

Style: Crazy Monkey Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a Trainer in Training under Rodney King and can vouch for the site, defense and entire program. Answers to a couple of misconceptions.

First, you can join the TinT program for $1000 per year. After an initial interview with Rodney about why you're joining the program, it gives you entry into the program, not certified instructor.

Just because you get accepted into Harvard doesn't mean you have a Harvard Degree. Just email Rodney and see if you can buy a certificate for $1K and see how far you get.

I can also vouch for the fact that it is not an easy program. It is the only coaching program I know of that is as much about how to coach (physical, mental and performance coaching) as it is about technical knowledge of the system. The week of the yearly trainers conference (wrapped up 2 weeks ago) is worth the membership alone as it was one of the most best weeks of training I've experienced with a great group of professionals in a truly productive and ego-free environment.

Second, the membership site is $30 a month and gives you access to all the forums, training material, articles and program for adding CM to your existing game or training CM exclusive. It's a comprehensive site and has a wealth of material which is expanded regularly.

Third, the CM program is a whole lot more than the defensive guard and has really been expanded from the SBGI days. It is a comprehensive MMA program in all three ranges including an integrated boxing program, Muay Thai (sponsored by Fairtex under Ajarn Apejai [I know I spelled that wrong], greco-roman wrestling and BJJ. In addition the CM defense is a lot more than the guard position, and involves five phases of defensive tactics and strategies based upon your intention and the strategy of your opponent.

The program is flexible enough to be used for many different games and coaching styles. Adam in Thailand is a CM coach and MT champion. Radek in Eastern Europe uses the program to exclusively train military personnel. Phil in the UK uses the program as a self-betterment and fitness tool. Jerry in LA incorporates it seamlessly into his JKD and BJJ program, as well as his Red Zone knife program. I'm using it as an expansion of personal training, recreation and functional self defense (http://www.santcuarytraining.com).

Also the new Champion Series DVD is one of the best instructionals I've seen and everyone who buys the DVD gets access to the "DVD Club" which is a bunch of extra features, forums and discussions online. http://www.crazymonkeyuniversity.com/champ/

For more information:

Crazy Monkey Defense Program = http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com
    Trainers Program - Click the button on the homepage.
    Membership site and Free forum - http://www.mymalife.com (I believe the membership site is being expanded and moved under the crazymonkeydefense.com umbrella over the next couple of months)
    DVD Club - http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/champ

You can email Rodney, myself or any of the other trainers or trainers in training directly. We're all very accessible.

-Phillip Eckman

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 9:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to give mention to trainers-in-training BJJ black belts Chris Hauter and John Will, and MMA guest expert Adam Singer, as well as wrestling/clinch guest expert Rich Salamone.

All of these guys post great video clips on the members site (well, Adam has just joined as one of the guest experts but promises MMA training videos to come ASAP).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 9:50am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys! That is exactly what I was looking for in response.

I guess I'll try to email him soon and start dipping into the site more....and start saving some $.

You guys rock!:headbang:

thanks again for the personal insight and info.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But no one's answered the most important question of all:

"why the stupid name?"
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 10:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    according to Rodney, one of the guys he was working with years ago was on a trip in South Africa (where Rodney is from) and saw two troops of monkeys fighting, and some of the motions they were doing looked similar to movements that they were working on. I believe the name was just a joke at first but it stuck.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it's not only legit, it's got a funny back story. That's pretty cool.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 10:55am

Style: Crazy Monkey Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey PirateJon. You're in my town. Drop a line if you want to train.

Also gotta give props to TinT Steve Boyd (on of the original SBGI guys who's worked with Randy in the past) who aways has a great perspective and a frequent poster on the forums.

It's great that there is a group of trainers and TinTs who are already accomplished coaches in other programs. It adds a new dimension to the program as it's more of a training community than a linear "curriculum".

Also there's a new "Interviews" button on the http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com homepage which goes to an MP3 interview w/ Rodney. He does a much better job explaining things than me. (direct link: http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/si...nt/view/48/89/)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast