Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tell me why I suck at Judo

This me at the Empire State Games Trials in LI.

I screw up 2 drop seio nages, I let go of his arm and I forget to drop. I eventually win by pin.

1st match - I'm the one closest to the camera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3PBctAQ_Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3PBctAQ_Q

2nd Match - I'm the one in the white and I get tossed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05fD3tmxGIU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05fD3tmxGIU

Please critique all you want, if you can let me know what I did wrong, what I can do better. Also I will avenge my pin, next time I will go for a submission I swear.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 6/13/2007 11:41am at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 11:27am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion,you lost because the other guy was better than you. The solution is to train harder.

Seriously, first link doesn't work; and there is not enough here to really critique.

You gave up initiative by being conservative with your grip-fighting, and he got his hips lower than yours pretty much immediately. This is not something tragic, you just need to train and compete more until you get it. Don't sweat it.

ahhh you fixed the link!
    Last edited by Scrapper; 6/13/2007 11:31am at . Reason: you fixed thelink and my fuckingspacebar isn'tworking
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man, your just a beginner. Don't worry about winning or losing. The first video didn't play but the second one did. A couple of things I noticed that might help. When someone comes in low on you and you put your arm over their head, it helps give them something to lift you with. There are throws you will learn that will keep someone from coming in low, but for now, just put your hand on top of his head and push him straight down when he goes for your legs. I guess one more thing would be to enjoy training and competing. You will learn a lot from both. Good luck.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 12:51pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were very far away on the two drop seio attempt, his weight was settled down and very far behind you. On the first attempt, since you were charging at him, this probably contributed to him being back so far. To stick a drop seio, you want them coming at you and you have to be in very tight against/under their body. They should be draped over you when you throw them, and you are ideally dropping right underneath their hips, or somewhere thereabouts. It's a good thing that you seized the opportunity that he presented when trying to clear your legs to go for the pin. He really let his weight off of you, which you capitalized on.

If you're going to drive forward, as you did initially, you might want to stick with a throw based off of forward momentum, such as and Osoto Gari, inside/outside hooking tripping technique, Tani Otoshi, Harai Makikome or something like that. It's tought to drive forward then do a throw in the other direction (drop seio) when your opponent is backpedalling away from you. Their momentum is going opposite of where you want to take them when you do this.

Second match, look at how low he is getting. From that position, there are very few attacks that he can initiate. He's obviously looking to shoot or duck under, so guard against that. Since his head is on your right shoulder, you pretty much know that he's going to attack that leg if it's a single leg takedown, so you have to defend that. Be ready to sprawl out and get your weight down. If he's going low, make him go lower and stuff his throw. If they do get under as he succeeded in doing, try to get your legs around him and catch him in a guillotine.

When guys hunch over like that and try to drive in, I'm a big fan of Harai Tsurikomi Ashi, http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...rikomiashi.htm as they're already leaning into it. Tomoe Nage/Hikikomi Gaeshi would be another option which I've been having really good success with lately as well. http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...komigaeshi.htm

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 1:10pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most refs in judo comps will consider a guillotine a neck crank and penalize you.

Don't try it.

Great advice Ryno! I still think it's just gonna boil down togetting some experience.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 1:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Stance,
    Pick a side to play either right or left. Get your hands up
    2. Grip fighting
    Learn what dominate grips and positions are like. I can talk for days but in general you get 2 hands on him and only let him have one and that one cant be your lapel.
    3. Drop Seoi Nage
    Stop doing it. Drop Seoi is a good catch technique and a last resort at your weight class. I will put $100 bucks that you get choked alot after doing that.
    4. Ashi waza
    Develop more deashis sasaes and kouchis
    5. Practice
    Go to alot more. Only way to get better is to practice over and over.
    6. Have fun
    If you really want to be competitive it takes alot of work. If you like the training and workouts then just have fun. Winning comes much later.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am so sick of the drop seoi. I can't figure out why people are not penalized more for this. I see so many half-hearted attempts. People haf-ass it, miss and go to their knees and turtle.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my first competition after 3 months of Judo (I also have 5 classes of BJJ, and two intro classes.) The guy who double legged me was my team mate, and he usually gets me with a Tai Otoshi, but he went back to his wrestling roots. I am going to upload his first match after work. Unfortunately, the class only meets twice a week. We're trying to get another day in, but it's only going to be no gi stuff.

Is there anything else, anything I did wrong on the ground?

Antiquated

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:09pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    The guy who double legged me was my team mate, and he usually gets me with a Tai Otoshi, but he went back to his wrestling roots.
    A wrestler will catch you with his shoots, but keep with the your Judo game, and don't go where a wrestler is comfortable. And if you haven't worked sprawls, it definately helps suppress a wrestler's game.

Stand up straight, don't bend over, not only is this a bad habit but it can lead to an easy Tomoe Nage, and I personlly like Uchi Mata on guys who lean over.

Relax when you're on the ground, think smarter not harder. Usually if you spaz, you'll just wind yourself. Take your time and think about what you're going to do next.

Seriously watch that drop knee Seoi, like a few of the other guys said you might get penalized for going half-assed. You really have to get close to your opponent to get your drop knee to stick, I tend to get right under the opponent and stand and roll.

Other than that for 3 months practice not bad.
    Last edited by Mas; 6/13/2007 3:11pm at .

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:09pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because Judo has been so far removed from what Jigoro Kano wanted IT sux, not you.

Who let you out of your cage?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast