218358 Bullies, 5099 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai isn't the same as other Martial Arts. You don't really have the lineage thing to go on. Someone could train for years and have some fights and be very proficient and then open up their own gym. They may not be able to trace themselves back to an old Thai Master but this doesn't mean they aren't very skilled. The best thing you can do is train with him and see whether he's any good or not.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys-

First time poster… I’ve always been a little dubious of the Ajarn thing. I’ve found the title of “Ajarn” or “Master” when applied to martial arts especially Muay Thai is typically political. They are rarely accomplished fighters but have been awarded this title through a “governing body”.

If you wanted to, I’m sure you could go to Thailand register for their course and eventually become certified as a Kru. Is that a bad thing? I don’t think so, if you’re not an accomplished fighter, you’re going to need some sort of credentials.

Do you need to be a former lumpini champ to be a good trainer? No, there are plenty of Kru’s out there who’ve got winning fighters, who aren’t fighters themselves.

Sorry for rambling but I completely agree with Zyph and Asriel. Don’t worry about the titles, and ranks.

Good luck.
    Last edited by nopstar; 6/14/2007 12:54pm at .

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 4:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could be because of the fact that traditional muay thai (Wai Kru and Muay Boran things) are seperate from the fighting thing. That could explain why fighters don't hold or care about ranking and why the high level ones are not active fighters or fighters at all.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Boran is almost extinct. The examples of it I've seen in Thailand were pre-arranged demonstrations.

Wai Kru is just a ritual and it practiced in some Muay Thai gyms still.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12