Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow that's pretty detailed.

>>Can you pass your right arm behind your neck and touch your left shoulder blade?
    >>Can you pass your right arm in front of you (your hand going to the left) and reach with your hand around your left shoulder?

Yes to both questions, and I am pretty convinced at this point that I should take a break. Thanks for your help.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can do those tests, but you cannot put the back of the hand on your lower back without feeling pain, then yeah, your internal rotators are likely fucked up... err, injured.

Good luck dude.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 8:03pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had a fellow paramedic had the same problem. There is one other option and that is a bone spur. Chances are it is a RTC pull or tear. Some time and it will heal. Th physical therapist will aid with some things you can not do at home, things like whirlpool treatments, and streatches that are hard to do alone. Worst case scenire (sp? sorr rushed fo time) is surger. my co worker at first was diaged with RTC tear, but whent hey went in with the scope they found a spur on the ball of the joine, which I know it sounds odd, but was much better. Teh cuff tear could take some time. I do advise not stopping completely as it will tighten up, but first see a dr and see what he/she says. Take care.
    later,
    Zyph

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 12:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you need painkillers to get through the everyday, until you GO SEE THE DOCTOR, go for one of the anti-inflamatories (think ibuprofen), as opposed to a plain analgesic (asprin). That way, you've at least helped keep swelling down and kept inflammation of the area to a minimum.

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 1:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

I saw a physiotherapist this morning, and it turns out that lots of you are correct - my problem is a "fatigued" infraspinatus muscle (which is part of the rotator cuff). Apparently years of questionable posture and slouching around have screwed up my upper back (weak rhomboids and stuff), which can eventually lead to shoulder issues like this. She used this tingly ultrasound thing on the muscle, and then some electrodes that made me twitch, and now it feels much better.

Also she did say that I could continue going to the boxing gym, just as long as I don't punch too hard with my right or try to lift weights above my shoulder for a while. I'm going to take things a little easier, stretch a lot, and work on my upper back muscles.

So thanks again everyone for telling me to see a professional and for being helpful in general; I do appreciate it :icon_mrgr

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 5:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad that things are not serious. Go easy on the punching and work up to it!

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 3:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ever thought of an osteopath

If you get an opportunity I would recommend a "good" (there are average ones out there so if you find one that works for you stick with them) osteopath very highly.
    My boxing career was very short indeed because of injury ,but have been a lot of other injuries over the years and 3 shoulder ops to remove spurs of bone.

My osteopath keeps me going and has allowed me to keep coaching and involved with the sport.

Doctors are ok, physios too but i would give pole position to an ostepath for non surgical treatment and accurate diagnosis.

I have had copious amounts of physio as the surgeons always insist you have it after surgery. Never find it deals with problems the way that an osteopath does.
    If you have already commenced treatment with Physio then stick with it as they normally accord a bit of professional courtesy to one another and will not treat a new patient when another health professional is already on the case. They can also be a bit sniffy about the oppostion.
    My father has been insulin dpendent for over 50 years a little bit longer than i have been around. It is not a death sentence. He is 84 and i have heard all sorts of bollocks over the years about the herditary nature of the condition and lots to suggest otherwise. It may impact if you ever wanted to compete.If you are worried a simple blood test lets you know one way or other. Cant remember in UK if condition stops you competing. Wherever you are a quick call to to your national assoc/HQ should establish what you need to know.

Last but not least I have found that i get better results with my osteo as he is big muscular lump and he can put strength into some of the techniques that the ladies couldnt. Please i have no wish to start a war or get flamed.
    Good luck with your training,sorting out the shoulders.
    Regards from London.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12