Posted On:
    6/13/2007 1:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question: Punching

(newbie preamble)
    I am a newbie (although I've lurked a bit) and this is my first post. Be gentle, yes?

(context)
    Started going regularly (ie. 3 to 4 times a week) to a boxing gym about a month ago. In adequate and by no means spectacular physical condition. I realize there aren't a whole lot of boxers in this forum, even if it is Strikeistan, but perhaps the question is relevant in general.

A few days ago I discovered that I cannot raise my right hand behind my back. Even placing the back of my right hand against my lower back causes pain, and trying to raise it any further makes my shoulder/upper arm feel like it's on fire. This is only an issue with my right arm; my left is fine. The fact that i'm a southpaw might have something to do with it.

So I waited for the pain to subside, like all the other miscellaneous little aches that one gets after an intense session at the gym, but it never did and it's starting to annoy me. Brought it up to my coach, and he said that it might have something to do with the way I punch? Apparently I am not supposed to rely as much on my right shoulder to throw a jab as I currently am. He did try to demonstrate, but I really couldn't understand what he was saying/doing with my arm at all.

If someone could explain to me what's going on here, I'd be very grateful. Also, I'd like to know if I'm developing bad habits when punching that might come back and bite me in the butt some day. I do try to do everything with correct form (stance correct, back straight, no excessive arching/hunching, etc), but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Thoughts?

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop. Do not go to your coach, do not go to an internet forum. Go to a doctor.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:11am

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i box southpaw as well, and yes, you're not supposed to reply too much on your shoulder... since you're not in the 'best physical shape' as noted, it's probably your overworked shoulder/trap. keep it warm and massage it with a little bengay/icyhot when not doing anything, and have a icepack handy for after workouts.... if it's been going on for a while.... DOCTOR.

i had a first few months when i decided to teach myself the 'lead right straight' and i threw a couple hundred in one sitting. i couldn't use my arm for a few days.

questions to you, though: 1) are you throwing your jabs like fucked up backhands 2) leave your right by your waist 3) combi of two?

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on stretching before you do anything further.

Try asking about your problem here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 8:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say lots of stretching and go see a doctor

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 9:51am

Style: Not much at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had exactly the same sensation in the past. According to my physio it was an inflammed tendon in my bicep (the pain manifested itself in my shoulder).

It didn't go away by itself, but a couple of sessions with the physio/sports massage therapist sorted it out.

Go see a health professional!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 9:53am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go see a doctor, and I'm betting you have a torn muscle in the rotator cuff or tendonitis.

Either way, you are off that arm for 6 weeks or more.

Sorry.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 11:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much what everyone else said ^^ -- also, if you are diabetic then this could be what is commonly called "frozen shoulder" and you will need to see your doctor about physical therapy or in extreme circumstances their are operations for it. For diabetics this can be the start of a 3 year cycle :(

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone, thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my question. I've scheduled an appointment with a physio, but I'm going to have to wait till next Monday because her schedule is packed :x I'm going to pray very very hard that it's an inflamed tendon/overworked muscle and not a torn muscle/tendonitis/diabetic frozen shoulder (not a diabetic, but my father has mild type 2 that could be hereditary).

ysc87:
    1) I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying, but I try to extend my right fist straight out (ie. not in an arc), so I don't think my jab is a fucked up backhand.

2) Nope.

In the meantime I'll try the stretching thing and it looks like i'll have to skip this week's sessions :sad10:

Thanks again!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Focus on stretching before you do anything further.

Try asking about your problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Go see a doctor, and I'm betting you have a torn muscle in the rotator cuff or tendonitis.

Either way, you are off that arm for 6 weeks or more.

Sorry.
    What they (and everybody else) said. Go see a doc, or at the very least, a massage therapist. It can be so many things, your front deltoids, your external rotators, your shoulder blade, the bicipital groove. It can me muscles, it can be tendons, it can be a pinched nerve.

By the sound of it, either you injured your supraspinatus and/or the internal rotators and/or the external ones.

So you can't put the back of your hand on your lower back. That sounds your internal rotators are fucked. More questions.

Can you pass your right arm behind your neck and touch your left shoulder blade?

Can you pass your right arm in front of you (your hand going to the left) and reach with your hand around your left shoulder?

For now, take a break, really. Just take a break. Go see a doc, but in the meantime, apply heat on your shoulders for 20 minutes. Then wait one hour and apply ice for 10 to 15 minutes. That will help a little.

But you will need to see a doctor, or at the very least a sport massage therapist.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast