228236 Bullies, 4291 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:57pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    The thing that bugs me is K-1 already showed the world a good unified striking ruleset. Why reinvent the wheel?

Whacky round ring + MMA gloves + K-1 rules = WIN
    But Chuck Norris isn't involved with K-1 now is he? Remember, WCL fighters use the Total Gym.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<<<<<< New avatar, befitting of my newfound WCL nuthuggery. *g*

They are specifically penalizing people for using strategy.
    That's a matter of opinion, and I disagree with yours. To my view, they are only penalizing people for using certain strategies geared toward a slower fight. I've watched a lot of these fights, and these guys DO employ strategy. Characterizing the striking in the WCL as "flailing" is no more accurate than characterizing MMA as "brawling".

Boxing may restrict you to using your hands but last time I checked they are not forcing you to be a certain "type" of boxer.
    The "no passivity" rule seems to be the crux of the matter. And it does force the fighters to fight a certain type of fight, active and aggressive. However, I should also note that boxing does not allow holding and the ref will step in and seperate fighters that "hug" the same as in the WCL. Boxing also does not allow you to hold while striking, either (e.g. you can't grab the back of the guys head and pull him in with one hand while you punch with the other.) So the similarities are not just about boxing being limited to hands only.

Take a deep breath.
    LOL. I'm playing, man. The new avatar is not supposed to be serious. In fact, I'm open to humorous suggestions for a new "title" to describe my nutriding of the WCL. (But nothing dirty. Heh.)

This what I encountered at point fighting tournaments.
    Okay, that I can see. Though I would argue that all of those rules, with the exception of the no passivity (and also potentialy the strictness of their enforcement) are also present in boxing and some forms of KB like FCR.

From the looks right now (it is new) it looks like harder contact continuous point fighting.
    I concede there are much closer ties to continuous point fighting. However, the WCL is nowhere near as sloppy as the example of cont point that you posted (thx, BTW). And again I disagree heartily with the description of the striking in the WCL as brawling or flailing or anything of that nature. In fact, I have seen some pretty smooth moves executed, and I'm not even talking about the kicks. I've seen some excellent counter punching.

Now before you jump to the I must defend my new show make one observation.

I haven't said anything negative, I offered an observation.
    It's too late. I have already dismissed you as a godless commy for daring to criticize the WCL, and by extension, Chuck Norris. Your views are clearly unamerican and dangerous.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are CLEARLY designed to promote a crowd pleasing slugfest.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, especially me. I simply disagree that the rules restrict fighters to unskilled flailing.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt have you had many International rules or Muay Thai style kickboxing matches?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    <<<<<<<< New avatar, befitting of my newfound WCL nuthuggery. *g*

That's a matter of opinion, and I disagree with yours. To my view, they are only penalizing people for using certain strategies geared toward a slower fight. I've watched a lot of these fights, and these guys DO employ strategy. Characterizing the striking in the WCL as "flailing" is no more accurate than characterizing MMA as "brawling".

The "no passivity" rule seems to be the crux of the matter. And it does force the fighters to fight a certain type of fight, active and aggressive. However, I should also note that boxing does not allow holding and the ref will step in and seperate fighters that "hug" the same as in the WCL. Boxing also does not allow you to hold while striking, either (e.g. you can't grab the back of the guys head and pull him in with one hand while you punch with the other.) So the similarities are not just about boxing being limited to hands only.

LOL. I'm playing, man. The new avatar is not supposed to be serious. In fact, I'm open to humorous suggestions for a new "title" to describe my nutriding of the WCL. (But nothing dirty. Heh.)

Okay, that I can see. Though I would argue that all of those rules, with the exception of the no passivity (and also potentialy the strictness of their enforcement) are also present in boxing and some forms of KB like FCR.

I concede there are much closer ties to continuous point fighting. However, the WCL is nowhere near as sloppy as the example of cont point that you posted (thx, BTW). And again I disagree heartily with the description of the striking in the WCL as brawling or flailing or anything of that nature. In fact, I have seen some pretty smooth moves executed, and I'm not even talking about the kicks. I've seen some excellent counter punching.

It's too late. I have already dismissed you as a godless commy for daring to criticize the WCL, and by extension, Chuck Norris. Your views are clearly unamerican and dangerous.
    Ha ha ha.

I can see where you are coming from. I refuse to pass judgment until it grows. I hated UFC when it first started.
    You know when they were trying to make those 45 minute hug matches something exciting.

I love it now.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quit being a smart ass, WHite Shark. You know darn well the only competition experience I have is in wrestling and little enough of that.

All of this is just my layman's opinion, but that hardly disqualifies me from having an opinion. I am only a layman in this, adnmittedly, but I am also an educated fight fan and train too. And though I always give your opinion a certain weight because of your ring experience, it does not make you automatically correct in all your views.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Quit being a smart ass, WHite Shark. You know darn well the only competition experience I have is in wrestling and little enough of that.

All of this is just my layman's opinion, but that hardly disqualifies me from having an opinion. I am only a layman in this, adnmittedly, but I am also an educated fight fan and train too. And though I always give your opinion a certain weight because of your ring experience, it does not make you automatically correct in all your views.
    OMG.

Blasphemy. Ring fighters can't be wrong.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL.

For the record, I think you can level all sorts of criticism at just about all the combat sports based on pros and cons of the rules and restrictions. (I've seen some K1 fights that were hella boring and, in my layman's opinion) exhibted some crappy striking.) Therefor I have trouble believing that, OMG the WCL is going to destroy good striking technique in the combat sports!!!!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    OMG.

Blasphemy. Ring fighters can't be wrong.
    I KNO! SRSLY!

I wasn't really trying to troll you, Matt. Ok I kinda was.

My biggest problem is that the WCL rules totally suck for ME! My personal experience and style has led me down a path that would get me penalized out fo the ring in the WCL. IT drives me nuts that Chuck Norris gets to decide that what I do is not fighting!

My clinchwork and sweeps are second only to my preference for counterpunching! DAMN YOU CHUCK NORRIS!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:49pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who has sat down and watched WCL from a fan's perspective.... I'm not impressed.

Honestly, from watching it. As someone mentioned and showed before, it's almost an amalgam of Full contact kickboxing and continuious point sparring.

I hate to say that with all of the promotion of this "league" it's exactly what it says it is. Crash style martial arts. Little to no strategy involved, simply "Go out there and just wail on each other as fast as possible for 3 minutes."
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast