Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 2:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as one might enjoy watching WCL, IIF and Whiteshark are exactly right, the rules encourage a certain reckless abandon in the fights that downplays sound striking strategy, range control, and defense. I like to watch it, and I if I had the opportunity I would compete in it, but the rules are definately not designed to encourage a measured and strategic contest. They are CLEARLY designed to promote a crowd pleasing slugfest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 2:45pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reminds me of the kickboxing we used to do back at my old TKD/karate/kickboxing studio (going back like.. 10 years) .. minus the goofy ring. The rules, gear, point system, round time, etc is almost identical.

As to it being an example of stellar standup, sorry. I'll stick to watching FC savate for that.

I've only seen one striker (period) who I felt was 'very good' on that show and I can't remember for the life of me who it was. Good footwork, defense, parrying, kicks, punches, timing and distance. I was like... whoa.

Also, on an aside and at the risk of sounding like a *rider (not sure what to put in place of *) ... but every time I watch this show I see the women fight and go "kid/anna would maul that idiot."

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point fighting by your definition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvLInpfPnA

Continuous point fighting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kvSqzua20o

WCL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yek81uV6I

Kickboxing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHvpE5_ESLQ

I'm not forcing you to see it my way. I honestly don't care. We are debating.

I'm telling you what I see from my experience.

Yes, I know you'll find better videos. What I'm saying is the brawling, lunging, high flyin kicks is in all levels of Point Sparring and WCL. Even the over reliance on bouncing and hands down until near contact is made.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:17pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can of worms:

WCL fighters look like they're not throwing techniques with a lot of power behind them, due to a quantity vs. quality sort of approach mandated by the rule set.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Can of worms:

WCL fighters look like they're not throwing techniques with a lot of power behind them, due to a quantity vs. quality sort of approach mandated by the rule set.
    I honestly think it can get better. Many of the fighters look like they did major time on the CPF circuit. Not all but many.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost: That's true for a big chunk of the competitors, but you can see some serious power in usually 1 match out of each show. The competitors really are pretty good, they are just being dicked around by the rule set they are competing in. Of course, some of them are point fighting champs and such, they generally rack up the points pretty good but don't get a lot of KOs. There are plenty of harder hitting MT and KB guys in there, and some FC karate guys that throw pretty hard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Phrost: That's true for a big chunk of the competitors, but you can see some serious power in usually 1 match out of each show. The competitors really are pretty good, they are just being dicked around by the rule set they are competing in. Of course, some of them are point fighting champs and such, they generally rack up the points pretty good but don't get a lot of KOs. There are plenty of harder hitting MT and KB guys in there, and some FC karate guys that throw pretty hard.
    Yeah, that's what he said with less words. :)

There are only a couple of guys saying it is unwatchable.

I just don't like the rules. It is trying to be different from MMA. It is also trying to get it back to striking only. It is trying to level the playing field for the striking arts.

I understand all of this. I still want to see good defense and technical fighters. Subtracting the circling, retreating........see where I'm going?

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:35pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck Liddell would be penalized out of the arena in the WCL, even though he's a good striker by MMA standards.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing that bugs me is K-1 already showed the world a good unified striking ruleset. Why reinvent the wheel?

Whacky round ring + MMA gloves + K-1 rules = WIN

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:46pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    The thing that bugs me is K-1 already showed the world a good unified striking ruleset. Why reinvent the wheel?

Whacky round ring + MMA gloves + K-1 rules = WIN
    As silly as it sounds I've been expecting something like this for a while. Team concept no but, showcasing the TMA striking arts yes.

Looking at the site they have KB, KF, MT, Boxing, TKD, as Karate and the striking arts. They do everything possible to prevent ANY grabbing which eliminates throws and most sweeps.

No I don't think it is right. Yet, you knew it had to happen.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast