Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money
    Personally I like the idea of teams, I think it'll help bring more attention to the smaller guys. I think the rest of it is total **** though.
    Yeah, but how can such a team-based league determine who's the best fighter, individually? That's one reason the IFL is kinda meh to me. I like the ropes and I like the fighters, but the team concept... meh, meh and meh.

The WCL fights are ****, but they are entertaining slugfests. Next step is to get angry, sex-deprived male chimps with sticks to beat the **** out of each other. That would be cool.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't those the bodog fights?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you kidding me? I LOVE the WCL. Love the action, love the KOs, like that they showcase female fighters... "Meh" about the team concept though.

It turns every match into a 3 minute flailing slugfest.
    No. Sure, some matches, but not hardly all. The matches tend to be based more on speed and quickness, and getting a momentum going on the offensive. They also tend to throw each technique with the intent to KO, because the matches are so short and KOs score 15-0 automatically (in the team aspect).

Yeah but people take kicks to the head and it does not even affect them.
    Two things... My first though was that you gotta be kidding me. Because about 1/3 matches end in KO/TKO. (At least, in the shows I've seen.) And that's a lot. But to address the point of head kicks landing without KO, they do wear shin-instep pads under those pants. And they still manage to KO dudes with a high frequency.

She says "Just let them try that on Gonzaga"....
    There has been at least one UFC guy that I know of who got mauled in the WCL. FWIW.

ON TOP of that...it is only 3 minute rounds...that's it...you're done.
    It is more accurate to describe it as two 3 minute fights with no rounds.

IIF, those WCL dudes have some really cool kicking **** going. I saw one of them dropping his opponent with a inward crescent kick/axe kick thing (which ended up landing on the back of his head), and another guy doing a flying roundhouse kick (while doing almost a full split).
    That, right there, is one of the reasons I love the WCL. And unlike Oly TKD (which doesn't even have such cool kicking as the WCL) they manage to make those kicks work while still allowing punches to the head, leg kicks and knees.

There are a reasonable number of knockouts from the MT/KB stylists, there are a bunch of TKD people in there that are still doing slappy knee kicks...
    There are lots of people from a variety of backgrounds that KO people. Raymond Daniels, who came from a point karate background, knocks MFers out. He has tremendous speed and a "one hit one kill" style that allows him to get in that one sweet shot that will KO somebody.

Of course, no one is denying that guys like Daniels can utilize a style like that more effectively because there is no holding. But before you bash too hard, remember that boxing allows no holding either...

We already have a stand up fighting program in K-1.
    Meh. To each his own. But I've seen too many K1 fights where two guys end up hugging one another for the whole fight throwing glancing knees to their opponents thighs. Borrrrrrrrrr-ing.

At least they didn't call it Extreme Point Sparring because, that's all it is.
    It definitely has some similarities, which is why point guys can do well. But it is FC fighting.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:08am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.

It definitely has some similarities, which is why point guys can do well. But it is FC fighting.
    Like you said to each his own. Flash knock outs are great. Everything else looks exactly like point sparring. bleh.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has been at least one UFC guy that I know of who got mauled in the WCL. FWIW.
    A no names guy? And what do you mean by mauled? Do you mean he got tickled to death?

WCL...FULL CONTACT FIGHTING (with little booties on)

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean he got KTFO. Twice, IIRC (seperate shows, of course). And it was Pete Spratt.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found 3 times where spratt fought he won 2 and lost one.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then it was only once, I guess. Still made me laugh, though, since I really was not impressed with Spratt after TUF 4.

BTW, your info can't be up to date because I know Spratt had a loss on points as well as the KO loss. So he's lost at least twice in the WCL.

Edit: Not that anyone cares, but I found contradictory info on the WCL website. I found stuff referring to Spratt's loss to Engel as a "KO" and a "15-7" loss (which would not have been a KO). So he may be 3-1, as Cyril found. Either way, Spratt got tooled in his loss. I recall him getting KO'd, but that could be because he got rocked/knocked down several times in the fight.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 6/12/2007 12:17pm at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 12:47pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Call me a tard, but I really like their ring. I'd like to see it used in MMA, just to see what'd happen when there's no cage to push people against, or no ropes to get entangled in.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 12:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tard would be if you wanted to change the MMA rules to match the WCL.

I've always wondered what would happen with out the ring or cage.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast