Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved from MABS.

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 7:52pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you ask him?
    I asked him what happens if the person does not comply with the wrist lock and actually counter with an attack.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Do you disagree? I don't have a black belt in anything, but I've always heard that in many martial arts, you don't really start learning/working until you hit black belt. Everything before that is just a warm-up. I certainly hope that training intensifies at the black belt level.
    The whole "real training starts at BB" is marketing crap too. It's what they tell people to justify that a black belt doesn't mean "good fighter" anymore, that a black belt "is just the beginning of a long journey."

WTF. What were you doing before BB and what makes the training so different after? A BB club? Instructors class?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:50am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    The whole "real training starts at BB" is marketing crap too. It's what they tell people to justify that a black belt doesn't mean "good fighter" anymore, that a black belt "is just the beginning of a long journey."

WTF. What were you doing before BB and what makes the training so different after? A BB club? Instructors class?
    I try to explain this to people and it doesn't register. Of course, I was just as deluded at one point so, I can't say much.

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Koam

Sorry for writing so much. I'm sure you will show me the courtesy of reading it all very carefully.

Allow me to introduce myself and shed some light on this thing. I am Master Travis (5th Dan) of Grand Master Kim's school.

Need 2 establish my credentials first. I have trained for 18 years under some of the worlds greatest Masters. I started out in ITF, but later trained WTF under the former Krn Heavyweight Natnl Champ, Grand Master Ji Young Song. That is where I gained my experience with contemporary TKD and where I got my blackbelt (I also took silver in th FL State Championship under him). However, my training was nothing compared to what I received in Koammudo under Grand Master Jun Kim, the former 5-time Korean Natnl Champ. As a former Krn Natnl Champ, we are closely involved with Kukkiwon. My GM knows the current Krn Nantl Head coach (he competed w/ him in Korea. We often host the Hodori demo team. Koammudo is strictly traditional. No XMA crap (excuse me). No fancy flips or twirls. Only real technique taught by world renowned Masters.

The four Grand Masters of KAMD are all world famous and very well known. GM Chung founded the Nantl Krn Demo team and is the former Krn and Bharian head coach. GM Guak is a well known and respected GM of Hapkido. And GM Young Ho Jun was a Master Instructor of Special Forces during the Vietnam War. Their credentials alone put their methods in the realm of "unquestionable." Many schools say the have famous Grand Masters, we actually do. (GM YH Jun is particularly well known. Mention him to any GM worth his salt and they know who u r talking about).

GM Moo Young Kang, who taught our seminar, is not a member of the World Koammudo Federation, he was a guest Master. To question our Federation based on what he taught is a mistake. Nevertheless, he is correct; the techniques we learn build on one another. The simple wrist locks and escapes we learn are the stepping stones to higher level techniques (just like in TKD; learn a roundhouse b4 u learn a jumping spinning roundhouse). For a 1st Dan of TKD to question a GM of another style who has dedicated his entire life to the mastery of his martial art (not your martial art) is also a mistake. Similarly, one afternoon is not enough to master and understand a technique completely. To effectively learn any technique requires years.

Marketing: I hate thinking about the dojang as a business. Unfortunately, however, a martial arts school in the US cannot survive without money. We must market ourselves like a business would, but that should have no bearing on what is taught or how. The Grand Masters founded Koammudo to keep Traditional Taekwondo alive. Hapkido, Weapons, Traditional Stances (deeper), etc have been phased out in most competition (contemporary) based schools.

Finally, lets talk about dojang etiquette. In a traditional TKD school, you never step out of line to question the Master or Grand Master. You have chosen a school (or seminar) because you want to learn from this person. Unquestioned obedience is mandatory. This doesn't jive with alot of Americans who are used to questioning authority. But in Korea (and with old school GMs like ours) this is unacceptable. You probably really pissed GM Kang off questioning him infront of a room full of black belts and masters. Just thought I should mention it.

Oh, one last thing. In middle school some bigger stronger kid pushed me up against the wall with his hand around my throat. I used the Hapkido I learned from KAMD to put his face down hard in a puddle of piss (middle school bathroom ^.^ lol). That ended things pretty quickly. These techniques work if you take the time to perfect them. 5 mins should not question 50 years learned from a 1000 years.

Anyways, to really know what koammudo is about takes years of study. I hope these few paragraphs shed some light on your qualms. If I made anything sound personal, please understand that was not my intention. I still dont think I have said everything I wanted to, but I have to cut this thing off somewhere ^.^

Respectfully Yours,
    Master Travis
    Koammudo
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 8/08/2010 3:34pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 3:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD_Trav View Post
    Sorry for writing so much. I'm sure you will show me the courtesy of reading it all very carefully.
    I have. I have also edited your post to remove your font and color modifications. Do not use those features again.

Allow me to introduce myself and shed some light on this thing. I am Master Travis (5th Dan) of Grand Master Kim's school.
    You introduce yourself as master? Is Master your first name?

You obviously don't know as much about Korean culture as you claim you do if you go around introducing yourself as master.

Need 2 establish my credentials first. I have trained for 18 years under some of the worlds greatest Masters. I started out in ITF, but later trained WTF under the former Krn Heavyweight Natnl Champ, Grand Master Ji Young Song. That is where I gained my experience with contemporary TKD and where I got my blackbelt (I also took silver in th FL State Championship under him). However, my training was nothing compared to what I received in Koammudo under Grand Master Jun Kim, the former 5-time Korean Natnl Champ. As a former Krn Natnl Champ, we are closely involved with Kukkiwon. My GM knows the current Krn Nantl Head coach (he competed w/ him in Korea. We often host the Hodori demo team. Koammudo is strictly traditional. No XMA crap (excuse me). No fancy flips or twirls. Only real technique taught by world renowned Masters.
    Is there a particular reason why you can't spell out Korean? Is this a text message or a web post?

The four Grand Masters of KAMD are all world famous and very well known. GM Chung founded the Nantl Krn Demo team and is the former Krn and Bharian head coach. GM Guak is a well known and respected GM of Hapkido. And GM Young Ho Jun was a Master Instructor of Special Forces during the Vietnam War. Their credentials alone put their methods in the realm of "unquestionable." Many schools say the have famous Grand Masters, we actually do. (GM YH Jun is particularly well known. Mention him to any GM worth his salt and they know who u r talking about).
    Their credentials alone do not put them in the realm of "unquestionable", considering the amount of other Korean masters with similar credentials who have used those credentials to teach and profit off of bullshit. You're committing a logical fallacy known as appeal to authority. Click the link if you need that defined and explained.

To effectively learn any technique requires years.
    Only if you are training incorrectly. Utilizing alive training methods, it is possibly to learn how to effectively apply techniques in a combative environment without spending years.

The fact that you advocate this mentality is enough to tell me that Koamudo is not worth training in if one wishes to develop applicable self-protection & fighting skills.

This is one of the fundamentals that Bullshido teaches against. If it will take you years to learn how to fight, then you are learning a bullshit martial art.

Finally, lets talk about dojang etiquette. In a traditional TKD school, you never step out of line to question the Master or Grand Master. You have chosen a school (or seminar) because you want to learn from this person. Unquestioned obedience is mandatory.
    Only in religious cults and military bootcamp. Even in Confucian societies such as Korea, there is a place for considered, thoughtful questioning. Realize that you are attempting to tell Korean people on this thread what their culture is like, including the original poster who brought this topic up.

This doesn't jive with alot of Americans who are used to questioning authority. But in Korea (and with old school GMs like ours) this is unacceptable.
    Completely wrong.

This is more of a function of many Korean masters coming out of military service, not a function of Korean culture.

Every Korean teacher I have studied under, from martial arts instructors, to college professors, to Buddhist monks, have made themselves open and available for questioning.

You probably really pissed GM Kang off questioning him infront of a room full of black belts and masters. Just thought I should mention it.
    Then GM Kang should get over the idea of losing face in front of his students if he can't handle simple questions regarding the material he's teaching.

Oh, one last thing. In middle school some bigger stronger kid pushed me up against the wall with his hand around my throat. I used the Hapkido I learned from KAMD to put his face down hard in a puddle of piss (middle school bathroom ^.^ lol). That ended things pretty quickly.
    Allegorical evidence that we have no proof of ever occuring. Remind me to tell you about the time I beat up 5 Koamudo black belt masters while blindfolded. Show us video of your art performing in an alive environment, and then we might consider cutting you some slack.

These techniques work if you take the time to perfect them. 5 mins should not question 50 years learned from a 1000 years.
    Exactly which part of Koamudo is 1000 years old?

Any documented proof for that claim?

I hope these few paragraphs shed some light on your qualms. If I made anything sound personal, please understand that was not my intention. I still dont think I have said everything I wanted to, but I have to cut this thing off somewhere ^.^

Respectfully Yours,
    Master Travis
    Koammudo
    Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 8/08/2010 5:56pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 4:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To effectively learn any technique requires years.
    No, mastery takes years. I learned how to write effectively in a few days. Decades later I can write a 10 page paper, from scratch, in approximately 4-5 hours with breaks. It is the same with fighting.

Finally, lets talk about dojang etiquette. In a traditional TKD school, you never step out of line to question the Master or Grand Master. You have chosen a school (or seminar) because you want to learn from this person. Unquestioned obedience is mandatory. This doesn't jive with alot of Americans who are used to questioning authority. But in Korea (and with old school GMs like ours) this is unacceptable. You probably really pissed GM Kang off questioning him infront of a room full of black belts and masters. Just thought I should mention it.
    Bullshit. It is uncouth to disrespect someone in certain situations IN MOST CULTURES I have encountered. Please, let's not fall on the "Asians do respect better" bullshit argument. That's a form of bigotry on your part. Old school Americans, from the time frame you are using, felt the exact same way as what you claim about your Korean Masters. It is poor form to argue modern times social grace against the past time.

What's even funnier is it sounds like you have placed American misunderstandings of Korean Culture and incomplete teaching into your belief. I took a Korean art and the one thing I can say is, the American Masters had more problems with questioning authority than the Korean ones.

Oh, one last thing. In middle school some bigger stronger kid pushed me up against the wall with his hand around my throat. I used the Hapkido I learned from KAMD to put his face down hard in a puddle of piss (middle school bathroom ^.^ lol). That ended things pretty quickly. These techniques work if you take the time to perfect them. 5 mins should not question 50 years learned from a 1000 years.
    I never took TKD because, in middle school, this 12 year old black belt tried to bully me and I countered his move with a sweep I learned from a Kung Fu movie and no training.
    Yes and if no one questioned anything we would only have boxing, wrestling, and guns.

Seriously, think things through because if people didn't question things arts would not follow progression like Jujutsu-->Judo-->Brazilian JiuJitsu.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bored at work while running tests so naturally I need to necroscrew some threads like this one.

I remember when they first established this organization back in the 90's. Back then KoAmMuDo meant Korean American Mu Do...not the deep spiritual crap they are spewing now. So let's start with some red flags:

GM Jun, Young-ho - He claims to be a founder of several original existing kwans. First in TKD there are no more "kwans" and he is not a founder of any of the original kwans that made up TKD. He is, if claims hold true the student of Lee, Nam-suk, who is the current President of the World Changmookwan

GM Guak - Claims to be President of the World HKD Federation. Well if you look on their site it is GM Jung, Tae who is current president.

GM Kim, Jun - Well checking on a list of past Korean champions, I did not see his name anywhere. So if you can let me know what years he was a national Champion this would help.

GM Jung, Jin - Waiting to hear back from a person I know in Korea to see when he supposedly found the Korean National Demo Team, since they originate from the Korea National University.

So yes, this throws up some red flags in their claims. Now onward to the I am Master Travis stuff. I have never met any Korean, and yes I have know a couple, that has ever introduced themselves as Master, or Grandmaster. When I first met President Lee, Sang-chul, he introduced himself by name not by rank. So you may want to look into the Mst. Travis.

The whole follow without question is a farce as well. If approached in a respectful way, I have found any Korean GM worth his weight to demonstrate for you, or on you, the answers. I am not sure where you get the "don't question master" mentality but that and "all Asian chicks are passive and submissive" is a bunch of crap. Lastly...you never learned WTF...you learned KKW style. There is no such thing as WTF style or WTF Kukkiwon style.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 3:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asian women are submissive?!?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Asian women are submissive?!?
    Only certain ones and you have to pay extra during the session.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast