Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crescent Kicks, Clinches, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    I've been calling the WTF boob press the clinch just because typing "WTF boob press" gets tedious, and because that's what they called it in the thread that inspired this one.

Just out of curiosity, do they actually hug each other in ITF or is it like in WTF?
    In the ITF-style I'm presently doing they don't allow clinches (or any grabbing whatsoever) in sparring. It is a no or light contact deal with no gear. A crescent kick "scores" if it passes right in front of or over the head.

In other styles that I've sparred in (that allowed grabbing, clinches and take downs and had contact sparring), a crescent kick in a clinch would have been either impossible or suicide. As was well said by another earlier posting, if one wants to kick, better to shove out of the clinch and deliver the kick.

I've never seen any kinetic leg technique work in a real clinch except knee strikes and stomps. No, wait. In one match I saw someone contort around and deliver a heel kick to the back of the other person's head. That was pretty impressive. But they were hold high up on the shoulders -- I don't think it would have worked if it was a low body lock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:24am

Style: pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I he;d a 4th degree in TKD before starting MMA, never used it since! I forgot about it till I saw this thread. Tomoroww someone's in trouble!

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 7:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kown Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw one landed for the first time in a point sparring tournament last week. The guy was behind 2-4 (our of 5) when the leader rushed in. The guy did a jump spin crescent that won the match for him.

Among the old and inflexible (like myself), the crescent is one of the easiest kicks to get head-high.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hybrid MA, TKD, BJJ newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inside and outside crescents are 2 of my favorite kicks. I think it depends on who is throwing them and when the right opp presents itself. I've got really long legs and stand at 6'2". It's extremely easy for me to land a head shot...on a target.

The last time I landed an outside crescent(as we currently call them coming from the outside to in), I smacked our senior student(and 4th dan shotokan) twice right in a row. The only reason was because we were circling and he went the wrong way...right into my foot.

The last time I tried to set up for it, it never happened. I had my mind dead set on landing a solid one in hard contact sparring and kept trying to set the same thing up. Didn't happen and ended up wasting good fight time. Instead, I land 3 rounds dead mass.

A crescent is a better setup kick than anything else. Throw a high outside to get your opponent's guard high and immediately chamber to a side thrust striking the abdomen. That's the best use for me. Like Errant said, the first coule times 7 or 8/10 landing...afterwards, squat.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 6:35pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleFingerOfFate
    The only time I have used a crescent kick in sparring is to knock the glove out of the way and set up the roundhouse kick.

LH (front leg) inside-out crescent to the hand,

RH (rear leg) roundhouse to the head.

effectiveness: 7/10 the first time,

2/10 after they have seen it.
    I also use the crescent kick to kick a glove out of the way, but I tend to follow up with a lunging hook on the same side - e.g. if I'm standing left leg forward*, lead-leg inside crescent (quick but weak) to their right glove, followed by a quick left hook, then a right round-kick or knee dependign on range. It doesn't work anywhere near as well for me if we're both wearing anything lighter than 10oz gloves though, and it seems more effective against people who stand more flat on.

Also, if I miss with with a big, loaded up right round-kick at fairly long range, I'll sometimes follow up with the turning left-leg back kick, or turning crescent. If they are close enough, I get dumped when I try the crescent, but if they are a little further away it keeps them at bay long enough for me to recover from the original failed kick. It's virtually useless as an attack in that situation, but it can buy you some time and space.

The turning back kick on the other hand does some serious damage. It does, admittedly leave you vulnerable, though.

---
    *I switch stances from time to time. I'm right handed, but I was trained to fight either side forward, and can strike pretty evenly with either left or right.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 10:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive seen more people than i can count get knocked out by crescents. i dunno much about point style cuz i start that later this year. but in olympic style sparring you can get so many points with crescents its almost unfair. especially in clinches man you have no idea. its one of my four fave kicks in sparring.

buuuuut if your not sparring and try that your a moron. course, if your super fleixible its good for making someone say "HEY DONT DO THAT YOU MESSED UP MY HAIR" not good out side of sparring. looks cool though.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 10:13pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Seriously, what's all this stuff I hear about crescent kicks? I never learned them at my TKD school. I remember learning a crescent kick in my old Kung Fu school, where you would swing your leg up like for an axe kick, but then swing it around and hit with the side of your foot in a high-risk-low-gain manner.
    I didn't read through the whole thread, so unless it has already been stated:

The reason you swing your leg like that for crescent kicks is for exercise purposes. If your teacher didn't show you the application version of that kick, or used it in sparring, I think your school had a problem.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123