Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 2:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a drug dealer kick a drunken bum in the face with a crescent kick once. knocked the bums ass out, so i'd say they work. but only against drunken bums.

poser

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 5:33pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I was pretty much dead on, then.

But seriously, how can anyone say that crescent kicks are good in the clinch? Unless you're idiotically flexible, there's no way you'll get your leg that high in that short a space with any amount of power.

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always prefer croissant kicks in a clinch
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    avec jambon et fromage, then you're doing savate.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 9:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I saw a drug dealer kick a drunken bum in the face with a crescent kick once. knocked the bums ass out, so i'd say they work. but only against drunken bums.
    I actually have a theory that certain techniques are meant to be used against drunken opponents.

The only time I have ever pulled off a blending throw a la Aikido or Hapkido was against a drunk.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 11:29pm

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    So I was pretty much dead on, then.

But seriously, how can anyone say that crescent kicks are good in the clinch? Unless you're idiotically flexible, there's no way you'll get your leg that high in that short a space with any amount of power.
    As far as I know, you're correct. The people I've seen pull off these kicks from the clinch had two of 3 factors going for them:
    1) idiotically flexible (vertical leg type idiotically flexible)
    2) Not much power... just kick and hope the judge buys, b/c the opp may not even notice
    3) opp fell asleep in the clinch

Really, it's not a strat I'd use; it seems to be useful only in point-sparring situations, or where the opp is just really really slow to react, b/c you can get nailed by a hopping-back roundhouse (or punch to the collarbone) doing that. Or worse, they just pick your leg up with a block and you're hopping around feeling (and looking, for that matter) very foolish.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 5:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crescent and similar kicks

My own humble opinion (after about 20 years in TKD and other schools) is that almost any head level kick is good for flexibility and strength development, hip conditioning and, well, "showing off" ... especially anything that includes a spin, jump or both. Other than that they are dangerous to use in an actual conflict unless your opponent is already disoriented or grossly outmatched. This isn't to say that they aren't effective if properly executed and they get in (and out) clean.

I like crescent kicks -- in some TKD schools they call them vertical kicks. However, a wheel, hook or roundhouse keeps your knee in a safer, stronger orientation (avoiding ligament injury) compared to a crescent.

poser

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just don't see why this of all kicks is recommended in the clinch. Why not something that is DESIGNED for close range like a bent-leg axe kick or, better yet, just pushing them the **** back so you can get into kicking range again? And besides, in most TKD, how often do they get close enough to even think about clinching? Most of the time they bounce around outside kicking range, with some quick exchange of sloppy punches and powerless kicks once in a while, and then back to the bouncing mind game.

W.T.F.?*

*pun intended.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 11:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of clinch are we talking about here?

Cuz the WTF boob press is not a clinch.

In order to clinch, you must clench something, and if the only thing that's clenching is your bung hole, you're not in the clinch.

poser

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been calling the WTF boob press the clinch just because typing "WTF boob press" gets tedious, and because that's what they called it in the thread that inspired this one.

Just out of curiosity, do they actually hug each other in ITF or is it like in WTF?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast