Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 9:23pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crescent Kicks and TKD

Seriously, what's all this stuff I hear about crescent kicks? I never learned them at my TKD school. I remember learning a crescent kick in my old Kung Fu school, where you would swing your leg up like for an axe kick, but then swing it around and hit with the side of your foot in a high-risk-low-gain manner.

I did however learn a "wheel kick" which was sort of the same thing but with a spin...

...or is that a crescent kick?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 9:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You describe the TKD crescent kick correctly. It comes up like an Axe kick or a Front kick, then moves in an arc from shoulder to shoulder, then down. I have hit people with them, it hurt my ankle. The other guy was annoyed by it. I won the tournament. The theoretical practicality that I most often see associated with them is the weapon disarms. Especially knife. This bit of wishful thinking was often trotted out back in my staunch TKD support days. It's bullocks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 10:27pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crescent kicks are best as developement kicks. Practicality is a 3 out 10 at best but learning them will develope other kicks.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was a girl in my tkd class who would knock out other chicks with the crecent kick at tournaments........dunno how she did it....was her signature i guess.

during sparring it works good in a clinch sometimes. on the street.....naw wouldnt try it might end up getting scooped up an slammed on your back looking up at the sky

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 3:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from what i being taught by my master cresent kick is very useful in tournaments because of 2 reasons:
    1: it allow u to reach ur opponet's head at a close distance and if u cant that means either ur not flexible enough or ur not being taught the right way.
    2: its very powerful if know how to kick and can be used for easy knock outs.

People intend to under mind cresent kick because most taekwondo practioner dont punch coz of a simple fact that it dont score u any points. cresent kick works well in combination with punches, after u punch to the chest (knock ur opponet a bit out of balance) do an out to in cresent kick with ur bak leg this can be a very effective technique in sparring.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHen I was actually studying TKD (and not sparring hard) I could wail on a hand-held target with an outside crescent kick. So could several other guys at the dojang. Very impressive. Years later when I started sparring hard contact, I tried throwing crescent kicks for a while on the theory that they were a powerful kick to the head that came from an unpredictable angle. Result? Never landed one, and one day I pulled a hammy throwing one so bad that I walked with a limp for a couple weeks and the whole back of my thigh turned purple.

I don't use or practice the crescent kick any more.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only time I have used a crescent kick in sparring is to knock the glove out of the way and set up the roundhouse kick.

LH (front leg) inside-out crescent to the hand,

RH (rear leg) roundhouse to the head.

effectiveness: 7/10 the first time,

2/10 after they have seen it.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 11:27am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kira_84
    from what i being taught by my master cresent kick is very useful in tournaments because of 2 reasons:
    1: it allow u to reach ur opponet's head at a close distance and if u cant that means either ur not flexible enough or ur not being taught the right way.
    2: its very powerful if know how to kick and can be used for easy knock outs.

People intend to under mind cresent kick because most taekwondo practioner dont punch coz of a simple fact that it dont score u any points. cresent kick works well in combination with punches, after u punch to the chest (knock ur opponet a bit out of balance) do an out to in cresent kick with ur bak leg this can be a very effective technique in sparring.
    Yeah, your master's an idiot and this is to show why competitive TKD gets no respect.

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 12:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use them to warm up my hip joint before working other kicks. Good for stretching.

Outside-to-inside crescent kick could be useful if the opportunity presents itself, like if your opponent trips on their own shoes or something.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me, this is one technique that really emphasizes the difference in alive training. In my initial TKD training, we'd practice this technique in a very "dead" way. Simply kicking hand held targets back and forth. And it was very powerful under those circumstance. One time, I saw a dude actually crack the plastic backing on the target with one! But when I tried to use it in hard sparring, not only did it not work, but I injured myself trying. I stop short of saying it won't ever work for anybody, but it doesn't work for me, and I've never seen it work well for anyone else either.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast