Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, from the website, that may seem appropriate. I'd respectfully suggest, that if you went there and trained....or if you knew the full deal...your rating would be higher.

Myself, Strikestanian, and other dude, have actually trained there. I'm not gonna toot their horn...but Paul was a national champ in sub fighting, twice..so a 4 in grappling instruction is perhaps a little extreme.

The school is small...but the quality of instruction is superb. We know this, having felt the wrath.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only gave it a 4 to get overall score down to an 8, as I feel giving you the benefit of the doubt and watching the vids on the website give the school more of a 7-8 feel for striking and grappling.

My belief is an 8, the 4 was only to get the "average" down, i.e., rate bombing.

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That makes sense, in a sense.

The vid I posted, was just from a bunch of stuff I got online, and on the site...some of it was them kinda horsing around (although the asst. did get his neck cranked up real good by the flying RNC).

I haven't been in many a month...but will soon...I'm getting a break at the end of the month...we're going down to one gig a week, while in the st st studio.

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 10:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: self trained in m.m.a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wanting to join this gym and from what i have seen it looks like that would be a good decision for me to make. I was interested in the mixed martial arts class they display on the website and was wanting to know how much that class costs. I saw somehing that said $80 for 1 porgram $110 for all classes. Does that mean that if i wanted to go to the mma class only it would be $80 for the three classes they had a week. Or would it mean that $80 was to go to one day of mma class, and for alll three days it would be $110?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 12:46pm

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apex, It's 80 dollars to go to all 3 MMA classes a week. However, what they don't have on the site (it's not updated much) is that there are actually 5 classes a week for the MMA students. On Tuesday there's a grappling class, which is mostly wrestling based, but it's available to the MMA students. and on Thursday, Brazilian Impacto Team trains out of there, and anyone who's a member of the gym is welcome to hop in on their MMA class. The price is MUCH better than it would appear.

If you do Kickboxing, you still can hop in on the thursday MMA class for free. If you pay 110, you can go there every day for about 2.5 hours each(Except saturday). I'll PM you this info too.

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 3:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: self trained in m.m.a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really want to join and i plan to in one or two months. But what is this i hear about the school having a full contact fighting team, this seems really interesting to me, is this the ma class or a different class, oh and thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 3:55pm

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex13
    I really want to join and i plan to in one or two months. But what is this i hear about the school having a full contact fighting team, this seems really interesting to me, is this the ma class or a different class, oh and thanks
    It's not a class in itself. A fight team consists of all of the gyms members who fight in tournaments or matches. Sometimes a bunch of us go to an event (like to NAGA or the Mohegan Sun) and other times just one or two of us will be going (like the AGC thingy this saturday). Of course we are accompanied by at least one coach.

But yeah, to be part of the fight team all you have to do is show up and become competent enough that the instructors feel that you're ready to compete, then go fight. once you've done that, you're a member.

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 7:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm back training at school again. Hope to see you there soon Strikestanian. I'll update my initial review after a few more classes.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PR is also a grappling instructor at my school. I haven't checked him out, as I have a 'striking only' type membership, but I will try to watch a class and report back. Also, no offense to the reviewer, but you're giving a higher striking instruction score here than I gave to Boston Sanda where (on paper at least) there are more, and more accomplished instructors.

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 6:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should really check out that grappling class. Paul and Lee know Marvin and them over at Boston San Da. They all have a lot of respect for each other, and are friends. Paul is given props by many of the schools/teachers in town. His school is small..and the hours difficult (early evening), but the instruction is serious, and I haven't seen it's better, in person, or online.

When I redo the review...the striking may well be a 10. I've seen PR spar guys with 60 lbs of muscle on him...and they don't enjoy it, if you know what I mean...he's a hurting machine. Come and get your free week of classes...and you'll probably stay. (they have a ring now, and it's awesome, I was in it yesterday getting my inside/outside thighs demolished for 2 hours by one of his level 2 guys...yay!)

I wouldn't take anything away from Boston Sanda, they are a serious bunch. Several of the students train at both schools, and they may well have further and closer ties in the future.
    I just know quality when I see/feel it. Marvin's school qualifies for a 9, at least, so perhaps you should give them some higher grade??? I hold my own sparring people who train 3/4 days a week, purely on the strength of training I had long ago with Left and Eric, having been gone for a year and change. . Now I'm back, it's hurting time...cos I was 185 when I trained there before, and a slobby mess. so at a lean mean 160...I'm gonna get much much better, very very quickly.

One good way for you to gauge it, would be to sit in or watch the Sat open sparring class.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast