:)

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chinese Kickboxing and Submission Fighting Club, Boston

here's a vid I put together of the school.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26...d-submission-f

set to Mighty Mystic's "Can't pull me Down". (not all of that is taught in class, these are just some things from the site...some of it goofing around a bit) Check Chinesekickboxing.com for an actual schedule and class description.

Directors: Paul "Lefty" Rosado, Eric Grossman.

They don't currently have weapons classes, but have in the past. The classes change over time, to fit the students, guest instructors/ and everyone's schedule.

The San Da is a constant, and the class I attend (but not for a little while sadly, st st studio!). I'm not there enough to be a good example of what they can produce...but the instruction is phenominal, and the Level 2 students are all badasses. We aren't taught combos/strikes that don't work in sparring, or heavier contact. The san da instruction is based on competition effectiveness...with power, form, and balance. I don't have to really pick and choose between concepts and applications as much as learn how to string them together and close/widen the gap at will to deliver them. No bullshido at this school...it's not the place for the half hearted.

The Saturday sparring class is good, usually there are four or five people my weight to spar with....the contact varies from light (with a big weight/experience difference) to pretty damn hard (80% pressure perhaps?). Occasionally when the weight and skills are appropriately matched, it'll get up to full contact...but that's often a little counterproductive...and injury ridden..so we mostly are at 50-80% pressure..(that is hard..it means real hard shots..but the follow up spacially, and crowding is kept down a bit)

I've been exposed to much in the way of martial arts instructional footage/competition footage/live tips/training, I've seen thousands of fights and clips of martial arts in general...and have yet to see their better.

They don't have tons of space, or a ring...which is a shame...but the school, in it's present location, is relatively new...and there are plans to expand at some point.
    Classes are in the evening, exept for the open sparring class (Saturdays 11:30am-1pm)

To sum up...the instruction available here could only be better if they had more space and a ring. This is a school to learn to fight in....there are recreational students (*raises spindly arm*) but the training is geared toward preparing for combat...not self esteem, honor, etc...that's a must to even be there...no bad attitudes accepted, and an ill temperment, from any student is a fast way to be told to sit out, or go home...they are VERY interested in maintaining the right attitude, schoolwide.

The Kids class is superb...and they don't get to larp either...there's a level one and two..and in level 2 they spar already...with control..but doing the damn thing. One of the kids, already has mma match victories and a he's a youngun for real.

Competing students get the extra deal...personal training/instruction from Lefty and Eric and the other coaches...extra sparring, dietary counciling, and horribly gruelling workouts in the weeks or months leading up to the fight.

They don't force crazy weight losses on anyone, and are strong proponents of fighting at your appropriate weight..for health reasons. You cannot compete for the school if you aren't ready to train for it....no halfhearted stuff is allowed to go down....students have been pulled from matches they had coming up, in the past, becuase they weren't giving it their all to get ready in the leadup.

It's very much quality over quantity for these guys, and that's great....
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 11/14/2007 7:33am at .

poser

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 7:19pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please review your school properly. See mine for an example.

Also, that many ratings of 10 is probably impossible, unless you've got Helio Gracie and Bas Rutten teaching there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 12:32pm

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Personally, I would take away a few points. For instance, the size of the gym is more like a 5 or 6. It's not that big, but there is JUST enough room for everyone. It'd be much better if, one day, they could buy out the Sprint thing next door. Also the instructor/student ratio isn't always that great. It varies depending on the day. Sometimes, there's three instructors present, sometimes just one -- depending on whether there's competitions and stuff.
    Last edited by strikistanian; 11/28/2007 1:55pm at .

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right. When I set up the review, I hadn't read the guidelines (I know, I know). I'll edit it as soon as I have time.

I'd love for them to lease the Sprint thing. I've never had any trouble at all at all geting access for personal instruction, and I can be needy. It's very rare that Eric and Left aren't both there for the san da, and the striking instruction is bar none. I've seen an awful lot of fights, demos, drills, etc. and never have seen it's better, just different approaches.

I'll re-read the guidelines, and edit my thang though...according to Bullshido rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 1:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol I'm a newb. I just NOW figured out how to add my own ratings.

What days do you go to the Sanda class? Normally the instructor student ratio is pretty good, though not perfect. However (probably just my bad luck) I've occassionally ran into classes where Lefty and Eric were out with some students at a competition, leaving only Mark or Will to take over.

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 1:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will taught sometimes at another school, and could train fighters anywhere, Marc is a nasty fighter, and instructor in general. I never felt left alone in there, not once, in fact, they are always on me because they see potential, but I'm not there enough. My music schedule is insane, I'm a ghost there lately. Thank goodness for the throwdowns, it sucks to train alone too much.

It's been weeks for me, I've been in the studio for a month and a half heavy. I'm lucky I get to carry all sorts of music equipment all over the place, to stay strong. I'll be back soon, we just came out with the new EP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not doubting Will or Marc's credential's they're awesome fighters. But I meant, if only one of them is there, the instructor to student ratio isn't particularly good.

Oh, that sucks about not being able to be there, though. I guess it explains why I've never seen you there. I checked your profile and I'm like "wow...this guy...really does not look familiar."

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 8:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are hoping my girl T will compete, she's nasty, but we're so busy. The evenings are prime performance time, I'll see you down there soon, we're in a lot better shape schedule-wise since we dropped the new tracks. We used to be in there a good bit...but shows, rehearsals, studio come first...such is life.

EDIT you're right about the ratio, I couldn't find the guidlines in the few minutes I had, I'm clumsy online too.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Great school

I needed a school I could train at while I was home for the summer. CBK gave me what I needed and a hell of a lot more. I fell like I have found a second family there, and I have only been there for around two months. Eric and/or paul are always around to help during the kickboxing classes and grappling classes. Markís Wednesday class also kicks ass. The gear that the gym has is in relatively good shape. Some of the focus mits and thai pads are a bit worn but thatís a good thing. The bags are all in good shape and we recently got a ring. The ring takes up some space, which makes some of the sanda classes a tad crowded during jump rope but we always find enough space. Ive done BJJ at some other places and Lefty has some different moves to teach which no one expects.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 1:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not being a hard ass here by "rate bombing" the school. However, I did not see the instruction and credentials necessary to give it a 9-10 on either grappling or striking.

The school certainly looks to be alive and have decent instruction from the competition footage provided but there is very little on the grappling and striking qualifications of the instructors and the grappling, MMA, san shou, kickboxing, muay thai competition records and competition levels of the instructors or students to support a 9-10.

So I am submitting the ratings here to try and match what I see on the website provided above by the OP.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast