Posted On:
    6/10/2007 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sprained Big toe

God damn bloody hell these hurt!

The last time I did this it took four MONTHS to heal 100%! And the doc said that is was normal for these to take a LONG time to heal. Stupid toes. I did this one two weeks ago, getting killed by a guy who outweighed me by 70lbs.

I've had to cut running out of my routine, but I replaced it with intense biking so I still get some cardio (and get to blast my legs more!). I'm also gonna take some time off BJJ and just do some kickboxing, because rolling is INCREDIBLY painful with a bad toe. I'm icing it everyday and taking ibuprofen occasionally to help with the swelling.

I'm gonna try and baby it this time so that it doesn't take another four months to be 100% again.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My massage therapist recommended me (for my elbows that is) to apply heat for about 20 minutes. Then wait one hour and apply ice for 15. I don't recall how she called that particular method of applying heat and ice. It helps a lot, but it's a pain in the neck just to wait 60 minutes between applying heat and ice. That something to consider.

Anyways, when I busted my toe, I was told NOT to ice it unless there is severe inflamation. You must likely injured a bursa (a small sack of fat that lies where bones connect). That type of injured tissue responds better to heat than to ice.

When I busted by toe bursa, I was applying ice and was taking forever to heal. When I switched to heat, it got better in a matter of days. Just something to consider.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 10:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its noticeably bigger than the other toe though. The hot/cold thing works great for muscles, i might try it with the toe.

Its a ***** injury too, telling people you can't roll cuz you hurt your toe :(

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 9:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could be worse. Imagine if you had hurted your pinky instead of your toe - sorry guys, I can't roll, my pinkie hurts. That would be teh ghey :gay: :tongue6:

Meh, think of it this way. If the bursa is seriously hurt, you can develop calcium deposits in it. Imagine the equivalent of little kidney stones in the join where your toe connects to the ball of the foot.

The hot/cold thing should work in that area, too. It's working well for the ligaments in my elbows (my ligaments are more fucked up that the muscles.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 9:21am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i feel your pain mate, i sprained my right big toe in a manner similar to turf toe; stupid bullshit injury but took months to heal up. i'm dubious as to whether the kickboxing will help though. you roundhouse that fucker onto a solid thigh and you will cry bitter, demeaning man tears as you roll around the gym floor in front of everyone.

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 9:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to tape your big toe with your index toe, just to make sure you don't hyperextend it again. At the same time, you need to flex and extend your toe so that it doesn't lose its mobility.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 7:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if its cuz I've been taking care of it, but the heat seems to have helped a lot. Definitely worth trying. Here's hoping I wont **** it up at JJ tonight.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tape it dude. Mine still hurts sometimes even though it's been almost 1.5 years, and taping my big toe with the index toe makes it feel all safe, cozy and warm, like a baby kangaroo in its mummy's pouch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 2:49am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ actually, according to a simpsons episode i saw, that should be more "slimy and gross" than "cozy and warm"

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 5:10am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    God damn bloody hell these hurt!
    The last time I did this it took four MONTHS to heal 100%! ...
    Feeling for you buddy, but my deeply ingrown toenail (already removed twice and grown back even worse) is a major pain in the ass. It just won't get healthy. Ever. All I can do is get it cut out again and hope it grows back normally. But since flesh and skin grow faster than nails, chances are very low... ;-(
    It's enough to lightly hit it from the right angle, to make the meat-covered spike of nail cause PAIN.
    It indeed looks funny from the outside, when my training partner doesn't even realize he stepped on my foot and I start seeing stars...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast