Posted On:
    9/07/2003 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just read the article.

One major point should be made:
    It takes his strength training numbers from 1965. This is shortly after he started with weights.
    He died in late 1973.
    Eight years is a LONG time when you're talking about dedicated strength training.

I also found the authors argument odd that because he didn't compete like other legends of the time (he quotes) - Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, Bob Wall or Mike Stone, then Lee's ability is based on ancedotal evidence.

Lee was famous for coaching Chuck Norris, Mike Stone, and Joe Lewis (who wasn't mentioned), and was a friend of Bob Wall. Surely the fact that the world champions looked up to Lee is more than ancedotal evidence ?
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    9/08/2003 12:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skill as a trainer doesn't automatically mean skill as a fighter though, look at boxing or any pro sport for examples. Certainly the guy's knowledge and theories were important but that was also a long time ago (30yrs, longer than I've been alive) and while we can certainly learn from those that came before there comes a point where those ideas become common place and we need to look at those currently in the forefront. While Lee was certainly skilled and knowledgeable I've come to think it more reasonable to look towards professional fighters of today (whose liveliehood is dependent on skill and athleticism) for training recommendations. While much advice is indeed shaded by a bodybuilding taint you and I havee both found contemparary advice that is more influenced by the work of sports physiologists than anecdotes, that should be the goal not searching katas for interpertations of new workouts.

***Big dog with lots of fight***

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    9/08/2003 5:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I've come to think it more reasonable to look towards professional fighters of today"

Hell yeah.
    I'm a bitch for Frank Shamrock far more than Bruce Lee :)

My point was that the workouts and strategies Lee used can still be used today to great effect and that the author of the article has some bad flaws in his logic.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    9/09/2003 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta admit, for Joe Average or Joe Newbie Fighter, you could do far worse than modeling yourself after Bruce.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"AUUUGGGGHHHH!" *TAP*TAP*TAP* - Asia while being TAPPED OUT by CrimsonTiger 08/31/03
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123