Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jieze louise... you cheeky bugger!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 7:04am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Occasionally, harassment tests are given. Essentially, the student receives punching attacks from a group of senior students and must utilize any of the moves on his or her syllabus to stop the attacker. This provides a rare insight into how the student reacts under pressure."

that tells me all i need to know

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido Kendo Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by john joe
    "Occasionally, harassment tests are given. Essentially, the student receives punching attacks from a group of senior students and must utilize any of the moves on his or her syllabus to stop the attacker. This provides a rare insight into how the student reacts under pressure."

that tells me all i need to know
    Actually it doesn't tell you anything much because the remark lacks context. But then I'd expect nothing less from the guys who hang around here :) Each to there own.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 10:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to know more feel free to ask questions and we'll try our best to give you a satifactory answer.

Ask questions before you pass judgement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by s558
    Actually it doesn't tell you anything much because the remark lacks context. But then I'd expect nothing less from the guys who hang around here :) Each to there own.

wtf are you talking about, 'context'? its a quote lifted from the review of this dojo, in athread about this dojo, with me commenting on what was said about the dojo in the thread that followed the review of the dojo.

How much more 'context' do you need?

And i think you will find that Aikido comes in for a panning from people round here because it generally does not pressure test its art or students, nor have a proven record of effectiveness. Go and read some of the stuff on aikido. then shut up.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 11:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a few additions to the above review, striking is also taught though the reviewer hasn't been present when it has been.

In reference to aliveness, again, the reviewer hasn't been present when advanced levels of training has been done, there is plenty of aliveness but with defined roles of attacker and defender as is in keeping with the nature of the art. We do occasionally do some sparring in the more traditinal sense but it is not a regular feature of training.

Eight months and you claim he hasn't seen any of that?

Do you think there is something wrong there? Do you think you would have 'kept' this student if you actually did striking and 'aliveness' at all levels?

I also posted here, hope you don't miss it.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...15#post1474115
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Do you think you would have 'kept' this student if you actually did striking and 'aliveness' at all levels?
    Just so you know, I still attend Aikido classes and enjoy them.

As i've mentioned in that thread you linked to, I'm not delusioned about the effectiveness of the art in self defense, but I maintain that I have learned things worth learning

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 6:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido Kendo Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by john joe
    wtf are you talking about, 'context'? its a quote lifted from the review of this dojo, in athread about this dojo, with me commenting on what was said about the dojo in the thread that followed the review of the dojo.

How much more 'context' do you need?

And i think you will find that Aikido comes in for a panning from people round here because it generally does not pressure test its art or students, nor have a proven record of effectiveness. Go and read some of the stuff on aikido. then shut up.
    I'm not stupid enough to discuss what i do here with you, why would you listen? You speak of what aikido generally does, have you trained with us though? No. For every rule there are exceptions.

That's all I'll say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you fucking thick? i am basing my comments on what your reviewer has said, you clown. I don't need to 'train' - and i use that in the loosest sense of the word - at your 'gym' - sorry, dojo - to realise that **** all sparring+no resistance+"a rare insight into how the student reacts under pressure" = bullshit.

and before you start about the reviewer not getting the full picture or whatever, the guy was there eight months when he wrote that, thats plenty of time to get a good impression.

honest question: do you feel that you would hold up well in a physical confrontation against someone whio had been training in, say, boxing or muay thai for a length of time equal to what you had spent studying aikido?

also, if you're not willing to discuss your dojo and training like a man, rather than a whiny little defensive bitch, **** off. I will listen if you can explain to me what exactly it is you learn that makes your place an effective martial arts school.

I will also gladly listen if you wise up and realise you are wasting your time there and want to admit such to the world via bullshido.net.
    Last edited by john joe; 6/21/2007 6:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 6:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You speak of what aikido generally does

no, you jock mong, i speak of what it is people who train at that club say: rare pressure testing, sparring is unusual etc. remember writing this?...

We do occasionally do some sparring in the more traditinal sense but it is not a regular feature of training.

So yes, in that respect your school is typical of aikido.

Now go and iron your gi.

hope you dont channel negative ki at me through the internet:ninja2:
    Last edited by john joe; 6/21/2007 6:32am at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast