Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only fags like ken shamrock use leglocks.

jokes aside, as a blue belt myself i've only just started getting interested in really trying for leg locks at all.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you might want to do is try to play your lower body attacks more positionally.

Obligatory disclaimer: my last two tournament wins come from sliding ankle locks, so you should probably take my advice over, say, pizdoff's, if nothing else

We'll take the most basic lower leg attack: Vanilla ankle lock from guard. It's easy to start this, you just sit up and put that foot in your armpit.

Try playing this position to start passes. The fear of the ankle lock will get a lot of people to pull their knees up to their chest and do generally stupid things they would never do if you were obviously looking to pin a leg down and/or slide your knee through. You can quickly switch your grip on the caught foot, shift your shoulders and come out to reverse kesa.

I could seriously go on and on about this kindof thing but i'll ask if you want me to instead of just bore you.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 5:13pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop leg locking for awhile.

Your taking BJJ so try to learn BJJ. Its about position before submission. Its a positional game. That comes in handy when locking people up, punching from he ground or just controlling someone. You pay to learn BJJ so learn it all!

I too was a leg locker. I was known for it. Its awesome to know. You wont however get better if you just do the same thing over and over again.

I used to play all top game and I sucked at the bottom. so for a few weeks I always pulled guard, now my bottom is much better. Keep practicing your leg locks but dont empahasise them for awhile, you say you love them but you dont even know what else is out there. The point is, they can beat you, listen to them.

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 6:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback guys. As much as it pains me, I will try to phase them out of my game temporarily. I still think that during MMA sparring, I will go for them though. Guys do lots of stupid stupid things when trying to stop me from nailing the face with punches, and learning ot capitalize on that seems worthwhile and distinct from the skillset I already have.

Hedgehogey, that is great advice, and something I think I probably do subconciously, but I feel stupid for not planning it out. Any further tips you have are more than appreciated. Congrats on the tourny wins btw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 10:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our last bjj instructor (we are rotating instructors for a while) told us we need to start learning ankle locks, leg locks etc. if only so we can recognize and defend against them. He told us lower belts are catching higher belts with them these days because they were neglected in training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 11:13pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pfah, one thing I can't stand about BJJ doing ankle locks is that they fucking make it impossible to throw a real one on.

-leg has to be perfectly straight
    -no bracing leg can come over the knee

No wonder so many low level BJJ guys and ones that didn't practice them correctly don't think leg locks work.....

*edit

Let me clarify that. The beginner rules in BJJ really don't allow for the proper application of a real straight ankle lock. I know they're trying to prevent knee injuries but which is worse, neck injuries or knee injuries. You should see how many bad chokes are thrown on. Hell I'm guilty of that myself sometimes.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    The obvious answer is that you should do what your coach says or find a new coach.
    This is the best advice in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Really? Seems to me that pretty much anytime you miss one you're in a worse position.
    If you know what you're doing, after a failed leglock you should be recovering to either back in their guard, or butterfly guard. Depending on where you started the leglock, these may be the same position, or slightly worse, or slightly better.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -no bracing leg can come over the knee
    I've honestly never heard of that one.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 12:39am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that Omega lives in California, and California BJJ tournaments generally have the most psychotic rulesets I've ever seen. I think they mostly use IBJJF rules, which I hate. The midwest, which is where I'm used to competing, has a completely different, and much less insane, grappling scene.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conversely, living in Jersey I'm used to NAGA and Grappler's Quest, where you can practically bring a knife onto the mat.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast