Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 4:36am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be willing to bet that groundfighting and punches to the head are not exclusive to MMA fighting... probly not much groundfighting in capoeira though. I think that his using capoeira to close the distance to his opponent was seen to be very useful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 5:29am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the duck under the mid kick to single leg.

and the long distance cartwheel over the guard.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 5:38am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    I'd be willing to bet that groundfighting and punches to the head are not exclusive to MMA fighting... probly not much groundfighting in capoeira though. I think that his using capoeira to close the distance to his opponent was seen to be very useful.
    Punches to the head and groundfighting aren't in Capoeira at all, to my mind.

I think you're right, he was able to lose the distance well but some of the moves are pretty risky.

Quote Originally Posted by namaste
    I liked the duck under the mid kick to single leg.

and the long distance cartwheel over the guard.
    The duck-takedown was cool, the cartwheel was certainly looked cool too but wouldn't it be rather risky? Being knocked down and landing on one's skull, for instance.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 9:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punches to the head ARE in Capo. They have a full range of punches. No ground fighting to speak of, but there are a TON of trips and takedowns. When two good Capo guys are playing a fast game the object is usually to knock the other person down or trip them. I could see someone being able to adapt Capo foot work to an MMA kind of style... It would take some time and work that might be better spent on a more orthodox method, but I can see some possibilities. I might try mixing a little Capo footwork into my style to see if it helps me get inside for takedowns....

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    The vid is interesting but the Capoeria seems to just be there to look flashy, since he switches straight to a 'regular' MMA skillset as soon as he's close enough to. At least, I was pretty sure Capoeria didn't include groundfighting or punches to the head.... The kicking looked interesting but didn't really seem to do anything.

I'd be willing to bet that most effective Capoeiraists are cross training in either another striking art or BJJ to be successful at all.
    Capoeira, at least tradicionally, has several takedowns, such as tesouras (scissors) and even one that closely resembles a BJJ double leg takedown.
    There are head punches, but only as long, looping hook punches or open hand slaps.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Punches to the head ARE in Capo. They have a full range of punches. No ground fighting to speak of, but there are a TON of trips and takedowns. When two good Capo guys are playing a fast game the object is usually to knock the other person down or trip them. I could see someone being able to adapt Capo foot work to an MMA kind of style... It would take some time and work that might be better spent on a more orthodox method, but I can see some possibilities. I might try mixing a little Capo footwork into my style to see if it helps me get inside for takedowns....
    DO NOT TRY THE JINGA!
    I tried that. Although it is good to switch your feet up every once in a while, a constant shuffle will leave you far to open. If you want to mix some in, think only in terms of counters or suprise attacks. I find that Quixada is a great attack.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira is effective, but only in terms of the counter attacks. When your opponant throws a big, powerful kick, or some other attack that unbalances him, THAT is the time to bust out teh d34dly capoeira.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 1:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a Capoeira instructor in Vancouver who fights in MMA matches. I think one or two of his students have been fighting MMA as well.

Here's a clip. Once again though, I don't see much that looks like Capoeira in this (in fact the Capoeira fighter wins with a knockout by slamming his opponent) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGfmJ0SCoY

http://www.axecapoeira.com/barraozinho.html

...(edit) here's someone from his school using some capoeira-ish kicks in MMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7f7j...elated&search=
    Last edited by DJR; 6/12/2007 2:04pm at . Reason: added another link

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 4:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very effective agianst midgets, teh c4po3ra.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast