226182 Bullies, 3943 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. AAAhmed46 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Posts
    1,996

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:38am


     Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Use of the term Dan Tian....

    Seems that, different people use it in different contexts.

    From what i understand, isn't it just about balance?


    I know that frauds and bullshit like Yellow Bamboo take the term and turn it into something mystical.

    But isn't it really a fancy way of saying Balance/center of gravity?
  2. kendamu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    524

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:49am


     Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I see it as. I just tend not to use Chinese terms for it since I don't speak about martial arts in Chinese.
  3. AAAhmed46 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Posts
    1,996

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:52am


     Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same here. My teacher uses the term, though he told us the definition is 'center of balance', and lately, he just seems to use the term 'center of balance' more then anything.
  4. GRAB MY WRIST is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    702

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:55am


     Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Seems that, different people use it in different contexts.

    From what i understand, isn't it just about balance?


    I know that frauds and bullshit like Yellow Bamboo take the term and turn it into something mystical.

    But isn't it really a fancy way of saying Balance/center of gravity?
    Cen-Ter Of Gra-vi-ty = 6 syllables

    Dan Tian = 2 syllables.

    Dan Tian = easier to the ear. Just one aspect to it.

    GMW
  5. kendamu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    524

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:56am


     Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm. Same goes for all of the Ki-related stuff I used to be really into. Everything that actually had a base in reality I just started using the English terms for the stuff. No need to sound like some kind of mystic nutrider.

    [edit]Sure, more syllables. But people don't misunderstand me when I say "center of gravity" and also I like talking.[/edit]
    Last edited by kendamu; 6/09/2007 12:59am at .
  6. EmetShamash is online now
    EmetShamash's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    516

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 1:19am


     Style: Chinese Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Dan Tian" from what I am told roughly means "elixir field", so it is sort of like what in Ayurveda is called a chakra. The lower dan tian is centered about an inch and a half below the belly button. It is talked about a lot in relation to "breathing into the dan tian" or in other words deep breathing into the belly. Meditation/Qi Gong practices involve the dan tian a good bit as well.

    You hear it referred to a lot as where your center of gravity is but that is just out of convenience as far as I know. What other contexts for it are there?
  7. GRAB MY WRIST is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    702

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 2:06am


     Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    "Dan Tian" from what I am told roughly means "elixir field", so it is sort of like what in Ayurveda is called a chakra. The lower dan tian is centered about an inch and a half below the belly button. It is talked about a lot in relation to "breathing into the dan tian" or in other words deep breathing into the belly. Meditation/Qi Gong practices involve the dan tian a good bit as well.

    You hear it referred to a lot as where your center of gravity is but that is just out of convenience as far as I know. What other contexts for it are there?
    And by middle of high school, we all know that the pulmonary system (the lungs) are responsible for respiration, not the alimentary (belly included) system.

    Hmmm, maybe Dan Tian is a visualizing concept to help meditators visualize getting proper deep breathing. That I can understand.

    GMW
  8. Steve is offline
    Steve's Avatar

    The gift that keeps on giving

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,205

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 2:38am

    supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two inches below the navel? You mean the hips???

    Shocker.
  9. kendamu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    524

    Posted On:
    6/09/2007 3:44pm


     Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    And by middle of high school, we all know that the pulmonary system (the lungs) are responsible for respiration, not the alimentary (belly included) system.

    Hmmm, maybe Dan Tian is a visualizing concept to help meditators visualize getting proper deep breathing. That I can understand.

    GMW
    Sounds plausable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.