Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruises: I am a delicate snowflake, apparently.

I've just gotten back into training and martial arts after a long hiatus. I've lost a lot of weight in the last 18 months, and I'm noticing something new. After any serious grappling I am a mass of bruises. They aren't painful, just unsightly. I actually have a bruise shaped like 4 fingers and a thumb on my right bicep right now. I get a few forearm bruises from blocking strikes and what have you, but the marks from grappling extend right up my upper arms and across my chest.

Is easier bruising a side effect of just not having so much fat on me, or am I missing something from my diet?
  2. AikidoBot

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! electron jockey posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:10pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's actually a good question. Moving this to the PT forum.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick search on google showed some possible causes:

- deficiency in Vitamin B complex (specially B-12) and folate (folic acid), which may lead to a low platelet count and easy bruising and bleeding
    - anemia
    - deficiency in Vitamin C (very rare)
    - excess in Vitamin E
    - in women, a disorder that casues easy bruising is an inherited condition called von Willebrand's disease.
    - Excess intake of aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Motrin, Advil, Anaprox) may also lead to easy bruising.

electron jockey, if you have lost a lot of weight, maybe you are malnourished and lacking in Vitamin B and folate (and iron if you are a woman.) You may certainly want to re-check your diet and perhaps try some B-complex and folate supplements to see if your rate of bruising decreases.

Also, according to http://www.medicinenet.com/bruises/article.htm

Why do bruises occur more frequently in some people than in others?

The injury required to produce a bruise varies with age. While it may take quite a bit of force to cause a bruise in a young child, even minor bumps and scrapes may cause extensive bruising or ecchymosis in an elderly person. Blood vessels become more fragile as we age and bruising may even occur without prior injury in the elderly.

The amount of bruising may also be affected by medications which interfere with blood clotting (and thus cause more bleeding into the skin or tissues). These drugs include many prescription arthritis medications called non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (e.g., ibuprofen/Advil, Nuprin and naproxen/Aleve) as well as over-the-counter medications, such as aspirin. Warfarin (Coumadin) is often prescribed by doctors specifically to prevent clotting in patients who have had blood clots in their legs or heart. Warfarin can cause particularly severe bruising, especially if the level of the medication becomes too high. Cortisone medications, such as prednisone, promote bruising by increasing the fragility of the tiny blood vessels in the skin.
    As well as the following (not necesarily related to the OP's question, but which is worth mentioning to anyone engaged in combat sports)

What if the bruise doesn't get better or the area stays swollen?

On occasion, instead of going away, the area of a bruise will become firm and may actually start increasing in size. It may also continue to be painful. There are two major causes for this. First, if a large collection of blood is formed under the skin or in the muscle, instead of trying to clean up the area, the body may wall the blood off causing what is called a hematoma. A hematoma is nothing more than a small pool of blood that is walled off. This may need to be drained by your health care practitioner.

A second and much less common problem occurs when the body deposits calcium, the material that makes up the majority of bone, in the area of injury. The area becomes tender and firm. This process is called heterotopic ossification or myositis ossificans.

This condition is diagnosed by x-ray and requires a trip to your health care practitioner.

Hope it helps :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Flyweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel you. Whenever I come home from jujitsu my arms are bruised. At first they were big bruises, now it's usually just spots all up and down the underside of my upper arm. They don't hurt, and they disappear within 4-5 days.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

yes....

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:49pm

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't just check your diet.

it could be any number of things causing you to bruise easily...

from diet to disease.

you should go to your doctor, tell him your problem, and get some bloodwork done.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:29am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm ... so is my severe anemia the reason I don't bruise easily then?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:34am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may be wrong, but the bruises you've described sound pretty common. My arms used to be covered with them, especially my inner biceps. Lots of the guys I've trained with have complained of the same thing. It doesn't do it nearly as bad anymore though. I don't know if it's some kind of toughening-up thing or what. I never worried about it, and I'm fine...I think.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bujinkan budo taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im a girl so when I started training, my tiny bruised arms was really annoying me, but after a while they started to heal faster. Now they usually heal after 3-4 days.

I take a b-vitamin supplement+ tran (oil-omega3 d vitamin+++), and I guess it helps... its hard to say... well, at least I dont bruise as easily as I did.:)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 1:02pm

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in agreement with springheeledjack -
    the simplest cause would simply be tender skin on the surfaces of your body that have rarely come into rough contact with anything else during the course of your break/life. girls tend to bruise more easily than guys anywhere on their body simply because they are involved in less rough and tumble. same goes for your hands/feet vs anywhere else. i cant name the last time i saw a bruise anywhere on my hands, forearms, feet or shins(despite doing a lot of striking, blocking and leg checking), but i have a bruise right now on my inner thigh from where someone was digging an elbow in to try and break my closed guard.

one of my friends recently started rolling at my bjj club and his arms and chest were covered in bruises much like you describe. after 2months training he might get a few small bruises that disappear quickly.

of course if you continue to bruise easily over an extended period you should definitely see a professional about it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast