Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgesoros
    Hi, thanks for the welcome.....actually i don't go to the school(nor would i want to) so i guess its none of my business....But this site is bullshido right?..However i do know someone who went to the school for 4 years. If you look at the instructor, he studied 'kung fu' for 3 years before becoming an instructor.......I just don't think 3 years cuts it. Also, they have all these rainbow belt colours like tae kwon do. I dont' believe in forcing students to pay for the whole year....thats just me! Now, some would argue that since i dont go to their school, can i really comment? And thats a valid response, but looking at their videos and what they teach it looks bad. Black belt kata?
    As i said i know someone who went there, the guy that runs the place claims to be a renegade shaolin monk. They dont use a lot of contact either because the techniques are too deadly. Mention UFC, and they say too many rules.....i.e. no eye gouging.....
    Is it the worst one out there?....well probably not, but it looks pretty bad
    I mean if you teach WU shu, and call it wu shu ......something for exercise and performance art, thats fine......but if someone says wushu is for kicking ass well, you would have a hard time convincing me.......and yes energy lake claims to be about practical self defense.
    anyways gotta get back to work

Your inability to write in proper English makes baby jesus cry. And hurts my eyes.

Paragraphs are your friend.

:englishmo
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:58pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Okey dokey here we go.

I have emails out to four individuals as of right now. A little digging has turned up a big clusterfuck in the Kempo lineage that is very interesting. It technically has no bearing on this thread so I'll decide later where to put it if at all.

Yes, I know it is mean but it would be off topic.

Braniff claims to have become an instructor in 1991 after training at Energy Lake Kung Fu Studios.

Brian Leishman is said to be the owner of this school at the time period.
    This is his current website.
    http://www.whitelotussystem.com/

There are two students who trained under Brian that I contacted. I also have contacted Braniff himself.
    O. E. Simon offshoot? I know Simon called his stuff kempo at one point.
    Last edited by eyebeams; 6/09/2007 12:07am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 1:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay gentleman, I have received responses to three out of four of the emails I have sent out.

Eyebeams caught on to what I found. They seem to have an indirect Tie to O. Simon of temple kung fu fame. Which is why I kept digging.

His history in and of itself is very very interesting.

Yet, this is a thread about Energy Lake Kung Fu/Martial Art Systems. Basically, IMO it is a form of Kempo. From the links I have found and the email I received from Leishman Gary's former teacher this is my conclusion.

I sent a pm to get some clarification from Sam Browning and I'll post all the info.

Possible Mcdojo yes. Bullshido IMO no.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 7:52pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've researched, Simon has given his martial arts at least three different names:

Simon's Karate
    Moo Kempo
    Temple Kung Fu (and all the "styles" (marketing categories) it's supposed to have)

Ages ago, Simon admitted in court that he had no formal martial arts training. The credible consensus seems to be that he was a boxer, learned karate from books and later picked up some ke?po from Ed Parker, along with anything else he was exposed to.

At various times, students split off, and Temple Kung Fu is pretty much dead, so there are lots of people teaching various offshoots of this stuff under different names. Some of them are awful; Jon Funk notably trash-talked them back in the 80s. There's one guy (Shawn something - video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AveMnlvm8rw) who cross trains, kickboxed and claims some submission grappling bouts. By and large, though, lots of these guys are teaching variations of whatever they learned independently, and it looks like, thanks to TKF's rampant BS, these guys don't always know what they have in common, because "secret techniques" were a big part of it.

The main forum for ex-TKF seems to be here:

http://templekungforum.14.forumer.com/index.php

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 10:24pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, thanks for the welcome.....
    - You're welcome.

actually i don't go to the school(nor would i want to) so i guess its none of my business....
    - Bingo, so unless you have something concrete that you'd like to share with the class please go away.

But this site is bullshido right?
    - Last time I checked, but then again I'm banned from MAP so I can't imagine where else I'd be right now.

..However i do know someone who BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH SECOND HAND STORIES BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH anyways gotta get back to work
    "The kinder gentler" TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 10:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the **** should he go away?

Please stay, introduce yourself in the newbie forum.

Just watched the sparring vid, I don't know what to think. It did look at least medium to full contact to me though, there was a guy getting belted all over in round 7. You can't knock them for that.

It reminded me of watching vids of Clyde a little bit actually. Except that Clyde doesn't constantly adopt wanky poses throughout the fight.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 6/13/2007 11:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 8:22am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1200 dollars per year isn't that high of a price, especially since that pricetag is in Canadian dollars, not US Dollars. :)

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 9:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze

Please stay, introduce yourself in the newbie forum.

Just watched the sparring vid, I don't know what to think. It did look at least medium to full contact to me though, there was a guy getting belted all over in round 7. You can't knock them for that.

It reminded me of watching vids of Clyde a little bit actually. Except that Clyde doesn't constantly adopt wanky poses throughout the fight.
    hi i did introduce myself in the newbie forum....
    actually i got mixed up between mcdojo and bullshido.
    After reading more of bullshido, I would say this school is not
    necessarily bullshido but a mcdojo.
    Anyways thats all.
    Oh, and telling me to go away will probably make me want to stay here more.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    especially since that pricetag is in Canadian dollars, not US Dollars. :)
    Hey now, the $C closed at ~ $US 0.935 yesterday. Several leading financial institutions are predicting $C 1.00 = $US 1.00 by end of year.

Seriously though $1K / yr = $85 / mo, is about average for a for-profit martial arts club.
    Last edited by GoneSouth; 6/14/2007 9:41am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Go away from MABS until, he understands this subforum.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast