Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:53am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question about cauliflower ear

For about two years I've done BJJ, and after a year break, I'm back in it, but I'm doing 4-5 days a week, instead of roughly 2-3 days a week. I've never worn head gear and never experienced the swelling of my ears.

Now here's my question: is 2 times a week generally just not enough time on the mat in order to experience cauliflower ear, or does it depend more on the way you move? I find myself in the guard a lot more than rubbing my head up against people, so I'm not sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987
    For about two years I've done BJJ, and after a year break, I'm back in it, but I'm doing 4-5 days a week, instead of roughly 2-3 days a week. I've never worn head gear and never experienced the swelling of my ears.

Now here's my question: is 2 times a week generally just not enough time on the mat in order to experience cauliflower ear, or does it depend more on the way you move? I find myself in the guard a lot more than rubbing my head up against people, so I'm not sure.
    I've wondered this myself. My understanding is that cauliflower ear is not due to how much time you spend with your ear on the mat, but actual traumu due to impact.

"If the external portion of the ear suffers a blow, a blood clot or other fluid may collect under the perichondrium."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_ear

That being said, I would definitely say you have a better chance of getting it based on how many days your training.

I think the trick is to get it treated immediately (I believe they drain it) by a doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 3:32pm

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    I think the trick is to get it treated immediately (I believe they drain it) by a doctor.
    Thats probably recommended, but alot of people do it themselves or get a friend to do it.

Also see
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50713
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50770
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48407

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 10:17pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's due to instantaneous trauma. the more mat time you have, the more opportunity to get the trauma.

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 10:35pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

and those people are...

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Thats probably recommended, but alot of people do it themselves or get a friend to do it.

Well, a lot of 'people' take the same approach to getting tattooed.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    Well, a lot of 'people' take the same approach to getting tattooed.

Those types of humans aren't generally considered " people " . Tattoo artists themselves are exempt from this rule , but are not considered " people " for a whole different set of reasons .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 8:04pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SBGi, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to reiterate what's already been said above, cauliflower just happens. I've seen someone inflate their ear on their very first roll. When in doubt, get it looked at by a doctor (you don't have to do what they say, but having the opinion is never a bad thing). Usually if I get major swelling I ignore my doctor and keep rolling, but I use headgear until the swelling goes down.

Good luck!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987

The genetics which determine the stiffness of the cartilage which gives your ear its shape is the determining factor in a person's propensity to develop cauliflower ear.

However, if you are worried about what your ears may ultimately end up to look like, why bother thinking about it when ear guards are not expensive?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 9:34am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What ear guards do people recommend for bjj? I have the CK Twister and my training partners cry that my headgear is giving them cauliflower because they are too hard.

Also, a pharmacist wanted nothing to do with me when i asked him for needles when i first got cauli.