Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Dump Punch"

What are everyones views on the "dumper"(the shortrange overhand right). If you use this punch what are you setting it up off of. Or are you useing it to set up other punches?

:)

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I avoid it myself, but I'm lanky, and often close the gap with my jab or a lead left hook.
    A good combo is Overhand right/left uppercut/right cross...but in San Shou, an overhand right can get someone kicked in the face...or picked up and thrown/slammed.

For kickboxing, it's a great counter after catching a roundkick to the midsection...lift on the leg you caught, and throw the overhand right, they'll go off balance and/or eat the punch. That's the only time I really use it, so I know I won't get kicked in my cranium.

May I ask how tall/heavy you are? (just roughly is fine, I'm not Jenny Craig or Dr Phil)
    If you have shorter limbs, it might give you a good entry move, but if you're lanky, and doing muay thai, I'd be very carefull. Eating a knee to the face or body during the leaning in to throw it (unless you mean a really short overhand), could spoil your fun. My top priority is to protect the ribs, liver, and my face.

I often wait for my sparring partners to throw the overhand right( or at least be extra aware of it), it sets them up for roundkicks/sidekicks, under the arm and into the torso. The marks on my face after sparring classes tell me the punch does work, but mostly after caught kicks. It's been a while since I just ate one as a lead move from someone...Just lean back and to the outside a little (cover your entire head with your bent arms, just in case they follow it up), and let your legs fly, it's a beautiful exchange for a tall guy
    (6' 1/2" 176 lbs) against a shorter guy trying to close the gap.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Thanks for the response

i am 5'10" 145 so i am usually tall than opponents. I need to be more specific. I mean real short. Where im from boxers refer to it as a dump punch because its thrown in close in fighting and its power not unlike a jab comes from getting your elbow behind the punch and driving with your shoulder. I have thrown it directly out of the clinche or working in for a clinch. Also i use it after i have stepped in close for a left hand to the body. Does that make since. I was wondering if anyone else could think of a good combo off this punch.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 12:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warasak
    ^^^ Thanks for the response

i am 5'10" 145 so i am usually tall than opponents. I need to be more specific. I mean real short. Where im from boxers refer to it as a dump punch because its thrown in close in fighting and its power not unlike a jab comes from getting your elbow behind the punch and driving with your shoulder. I have thrown it directly out of the clinche or working in for a clinch. Also i use it after i have stepped in close for a left hand to the body. Does that make since. I was wondering if anyone else could think of a good combo off this punch.

Are you boxing when you do this? or doing muay thai?
    I'm too lanky to use it, from the inside. One good one that might translate well could be
    jab, r cross, left hook (or looping jab) right cross, then throw the overhand, or do what I do, the superman punch. Any loss of power from the jump or not cocking the 2nd right fully, is gained in suprise and it is the back hand after all.(holy crap he's jusmping at me, and the double right hand isn't expected.) after you've thrown the last right cross, only pull back the glove 8 inches or so (for me), then pounce with the right again....if the first part of the combo is even in time, then the quick suprise overhand/superman punch tacked on after the last cross (fast) can, and will land if it's been worked out on the bag.
    If you do it on the bag, the last cross should swing it away (partly pushing punch) giving you added space to throw the bomb fast, with a short retraction and to chase the face, so to speak. I don't know if this helps you....
    You could lead into it from an uppercut also. but jump in with it...and when the gloves to oome down a little....bang.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 12:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have any combo tips for me, please share, especially from the clinch (I usually spin them and push off for kicks, or in boxing, I just get punched many times in the head and body from the clinch) I need some help surviving on the inside, I never do well in pure boxing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 12:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai. I do box abit because i find alot of Thai Boxers panic on the in fight and only know how to work the clinche. Dont get me wrong i prefer to work a clinche buy in I can get some good hand combinations off because we lock up i would like to do so.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 1:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Working the inside pure boxing and san shou or thai boxing are two totally different things. For me in i am pure boxing or fighting by low kick or full contact rules i like to lean on the person and bump them away from me with my shoulder and follow with a right hand. the bump makes the distance to get some power on my punches. I am taller than most of the people i fight so i need to create that space. also in pure boxing stay low in close sit down on your punches and dont be scared to make body contact bumping or a short quick shove.

For Muay thai/ san shou creat the space you need in the clinche by forceing your knee between you and push them out with it. then quickly drop it and bring it back up for a true knee strike.

Does this stuff make since im not the best at explaining things and by no means a professional fighter so if you see any flaws in what i am saying please feel free to point them out.

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 10:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the advice, I took an ugly beating in boxing (2 rounds) and kickboxing (4 rounds) today. The guy is 155 lbs to my 176, but cut and an amateur fighter in San Da, and muay thai. He actually pulled off 3 andy hug style spinning heel kicks to my inside thigh, just above the knee...hurt like hell, I'm still limping. When we boxed, I did a little from the outside, many many jabs, but then he kept closing the gap in a crouch, and repeatedly decked me. He wasn't trying to bang me out, he's just really really strong.

I didn't go down, but I'm sore, and my left ear is crazy red.
    Thanks again for the tips.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course any time. When he crouches you gonna sit down try to get more on his level and just throw straight punches 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 ya know.

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 9:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warasak
    Of course any time. When he crouches you gonna sit down try to get more on his level and just throw straight punches 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 ya know.
    You're right, I think I cling emotionally to the outside. When he comes in...I try to back up and cirle round....I'll let em fly next time out. (it's usually not a thing to stay in for a bit, but with this guy...it never seems to go my way)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8QYff7bxnfA this is one of his fights
    this is one of his fights in San Da.

He's so good at getting into the clinch, traditionally when I stay put, I just eat some knees and some shovel hooks/ uppercuts. His skill level is extreme, so this morning I'm battered but happy...it just makes it harder for other cats to hurt me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast