Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 7:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Clean - flexibility

Just learned this lift. I cannot catch the bar so that my elbows are pointing forward rather than down. It seems to be flexibility problem in the upper back / shoulders. Advice on exercises / stretches to fix this?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 7:16am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the same problem. I didn't do anything specific, just let the lift strech me out.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As PJ said, let the lift stretch you out. I have the same problem when lifting above a certain weight btw. It's the triceps, forearms, wrists and shoulders. What I do is I warm up with an unloaded bar, and I let it stretch me (as PJ suggested).

Also, you can stretch yourself. Take one arm and position it just as it would be at the end of the clean, and use the other arm to bring the back of your hand as close as possible to your shoulder, palm facing up and with the elbow pointing forward. Same with the other arm, rinse and repeat.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and wwhile I was getting the form right I wasn't using heavy weights. just like the bar + 20lbs. Didn't take long - maybe 3 weeks.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the problem in your wrists? Anyways I would just do front squats using the clean grip with light weight and add more weight to stretch everything. My wrists were initially not flexible enough to front squat using the clean grip, so I just kept front squatting and now they re fine.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did a couple of sessions after I posted with an unloaded bar just to work on technique. I'm getting there; El Macho and Pirate Jon were right: the lift is stretching me out.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It comes pretty quickly.

My teacher had me do fingers-rearward planche type pushups to help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 7:41am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find I get better form if I concentrate on the fact that it's an explosive "whip" type lift in which the bar will arc away from your body. It just seems to land in a better position that way.