Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 8:55am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The body won't even be able to absorb that much protein in one sitting so a fair bit is going to waste! I thought the limit was around 25-30g

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 9:08am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damit! And I just bought myself a new tub!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    The body won't even be able to absorb that much protein in one sitting so a fair bit is going to waste! I thought the limit was around 25-30g
    I'm not sure we can subcribe to a limit on protein intake, at least not a universal number. For example, there must be a limit on the amount of protein that I can take in one sitting (me being 150-160lbs male, 5'6", 38). That limit has to be different from somebody my size but younger... or older, or a woman.

Certainly it has to be different from someone larger or smaller, more muscular, less muscular, different BMI, different rest metabolic rate, different exercise habits, etc, etc. I dunno.

Now, what I do with these 3.1 oz, 42g protein shots is the following: In the mornings, I mix half of it (1.5oz) with 8oz of water (or mixed with gatorate, OJ or an energy drink), 5g to 10g of glutamine and a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder. That's about 1 hour before taking any breakfast.

I keep the remaining 1.5 oz of new whey in its capsule thing, which I filled with about 1.5 oz of yogurt. That becomes one of my snacks, which I take mid afternoon or as a pre-workout snack thing.

That's the beauty of these puppies. They are small, and their small bottles are very convenient. You could take two of these things in 4 small sips throught the day and still have space to eat as usual. :cachas: :cachas: :cachas:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 4:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tried one of these on Tuesday. They're pretty good... almost candy-like.

Although I felt like a douchebag walking back to my cube with a big, pink, cylindrically-object.

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 4:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They do look compromisingly... adult-oriented, that's for sure :tongue6:

I keep some empty bottles in the kitchen (I use them to make protein-yogurt concotions). And I got a tile guy coming to my house for an appraisal for some repairs I need to do. He tried his best to hide a "WTF?" look when he saw them in my kitchen counter. :eusa_doh
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 5:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the topic of protein absorbtion, I found this quote on t-nation.... don't know how much of this is true since I'm not a nutritionist, but it gives something to think about:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=646423

There is no such thing as wasting protein. Protein will be broken down one way or the other. Depending on the state of the body when you eat it, you're using it for anabolism and converting any "extra" into glucose via a heat wasting process called gluconeogenesis. The Thermic effect of food (TEF) is a good thing and will help keep you lean. Also, proteins are used for much more than just building muscle. You're really selling yourself short if you stop at 30g in fear of "wasting" it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been taught about deanimation, the process that takes place when excess protein is taken to the liver.

The amino acid is broken down into:

Amino > Ammonia > Urea excreted via kidneys

Acid > acid remnanats used as fuel > Excess suppresses fat burning which could lead to increased fat storage

I just stick to 1.5-1.7g per kg of body mass and try to make it all from natural sources
    Last edited by spirez; 6/22/2007 2:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12