Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 8:38am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA fights being stopped too early?

I don't know about how you guys, but I think the UFC and WEC fights are being stopped to early, especially from punches. A guy gets knocked down, and a lot of times ref jumps in before seeing if fighter is really hurt. I don't know what solution is, but too many times a guy gets caught (like Liddell) and it's over. What also bothers me, is MMA guys don't seem to take a good punch and may be one reason why fights end early....

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 8:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your main style is 'Mixed martial Arts'?

Have you ever been hit with a boxing gloves and compared it to 4-ounce gloves?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lidell was fucked. i dont know whats wrong with you but that fight was stopped exactly when it was needed to, he was floored and unlike kickboxing/boxing he wasnt going to get 10 seconds to recover.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 9:05am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    I don't know about how you guys, but I think the UFC and WEC fights are being stopped to early, especially from punches. A guy gets knocked down, and a lot of times ref jumps in before seeing if fighter is really hurt. I don't know what solution is, but too many times a guy gets caught (like Liddell) and it's over. What also bothers me, is MMA guys don't seem to take a good punch and may be one reason why fights end early....
    You don't know what you're talking about. Liddell didn't complain, so you shouldn't be either.

Here's what you should do...have one of your friends put on a 10oz boxing glove and punch you as hard as he can. Then have him put on a 4oz MMA glove and do the same thing. Then, when you wake up, let us know if your thoughts have changed.

edit: chances are you'll be knocked out by both actually, but either way you'll see why stopping the fight is necessary when a guy goes down and can't protect himself.

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:43am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been hit enough times to know how it feels like. The guys just can't take punches like boxers do. The size of the gloves is really irrelavent. You can get knocked out with 16 oz gloves. Liddell like most of the other MMA guys are out of balance when they get hit, thus the flash KOs. Notice how they are upright with their chins up in the air.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:51am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The size of the gloves is really irrelavent. You can get knocked out with 16 oz gloves.

This statement is so bizarre that it's hard to take seriously. There's a big difference between getting hit with 20oz. gloves and 16oz. gloves, let alone tiny 4oz. gloves.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only that, but how many boxers can take a muay thai roundhouse to their unprotected ribs. Your hands/arms can't protect everything all the time. See Gonzaga v CroCop. CroCop blocked his midsection, but got kicked the the head. In boxing if you are in danger you can go over and hump the guy until the ref breaks you apart.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:57am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no difference between MMA (4oz) and Boxing gloves?

Please tell me you are kidding. I've been hit with MMA and 16oz gloves there is a difference.

Yes, both can be used to knock you out but the less padding.....yeah shut up.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 11:02am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been hit enough times to know how it feels like. The guys just can't take punches like boxers do. The size of the gloves is really irrelavent. You can get knocked out with 16 oz gloves. Liddell like most of the other MMA guys are out of balance when they get hit, thus the flash KOs. Notice how they are upright with their chins up in the air.
    Yes, the chin in the air is what makes the susceptible. If you're implying that boxers are somehow more able to take a punch you're wrong. It's a combination of where you get hit, and how your positioned. The innate ability to just plain take a punch is part of this too, but boxers aren't more equipped with this than mma fighters. MMA fighters simply have to watch for much wider array of attacks than boxers thus leaving their chin open more often. How often does a boxer have to worry about kicks to the legs and body, or a shot for a takedown in addition to punches to the head and body. Also, not all mma fighters are upright with their chins in the air...case in point RAMPAGE. GSP is usually pretty good about keeping his chin tucked too. Basically, you're just lumping the entire MMA community together with a few people. Also, you may have been hit, but how often have you been hit like these fighters?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 11:11am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    MMA fighters simply have to watch for much wider array of attacks than boxers thus leaving their chin open more often.
    I've never fought MMA (sparred a little for fun) so I'm really just asking a question as oppossed to arguing but why would the option leg kicks and take downs make fighters stick their chins up in the air more? Does it have something to do with the sprawl? Or defense for kicks?
Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast