Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I like doing it.

Simps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 7:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I originally started training once a week to be able to defend myself when that time came, but that's actually a pretty dumb reason, when for most people that time will never come (unless you look for it). I now train 3-4 times a week, and get really wound up if i'm unable to train.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like hitting people, and I'm not that concerned about being hit. Otherwise its just a hobby to pass the time.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 7:42am

Style: BJJ, No-Gi, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sugar Ray Leonard once said,
    "We've all been blessed with god given talents. Mine just happens to be beating people up."

I'm no Sugar Ray, but I identify with his statement. Plus, practicing martial arts is the only way I'll ever be motivated to exercize and push my limits. I hate lifitng weights or running for their own sake.

*One day I'm going to lose it--I want to make sure I can make the most of that moment...*

<hr>"...the cookie is in no position to know the future!"

Edited by - lechuza on September 02 2003 07:45:09

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 8:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To develop my "bag of dirty tricks", leading to one of the three reasons for training in MA, a view shared by the Glimmen (Viking Wrestlers) of Scandinavia:

1. As sport
    2. To stuff around with friends (In Glima this is referred to as loose grips)
    3. To settle disputes (In Glima, this involves SLAMMING your opponent into a really hard surface using all your and their force.)

A 6th dan black belt in bastardry.

"Damn you! You dirty fighter." My sparring partner, also disabled, recovering from being bitten.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 9:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine's kinda simple too: I HAVE to. Really. I can't go more than a few days without training, and even then I get twitchy and hyper. I'm an addict, basically.
    Completely agree. It IS addicting. If I'm not able to train for more two days, I start to get anxious. Our school was closed for the long weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon) so I'm really looking forward to class tonight.

I initially started training for general fitness reasons. I was bored with the whole gym scene and wanted to try something new. The class was physically challenging and some of the exercises were different from anything I'd done. I loved it. I also appreciated the group dynamic and liked having an instructor there to push/motivate me when I got lazy.

Other than the fitness aspects, it's great stress release. I can walk into the dojang after one of those "I hate you all" days at work and leave feeling refreshed. Screaming, kicking, and punching for an hour and a half is a stress release like no other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 10:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a training regemin is also based on personality type and the variety/uniqueness of the martial arts.

I'm not a "perfectionist," but I've always been of the mindset that anything worth doing is worth doing well. I want my techniques to be as clean, crisp and powerful as possible. Unlike other sports/activities I've done, the martial arts offer a seemingly endless array of new skills, techniques, and combinations to learn and perfect. There's ALWAYS something to work on. The more I train, the more I recognize how much more I have to learn (not just within my own style but in other styles that compliment it's shortcomings) and see constant room for improvement. I think I train as often as I do because I want to learn as much as possible and be the best I can.

That's where it comes down to personality type. At every school there are people who train "just because" or who are there just to get a belt. They are content with mediocrity and just do enough to get by. Those people are missing out on a big part of the MAs and the personal fulfullment that you can get from it.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I wanted a challenge. I wanted to do something that was hard. And I have to win.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2003 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do MA because I live in a boring-ass modern, industialized society with no mystery, adventure, or excitement. MA is a skill that you get better at over time and can be exciting. It helps to fulfill the desire for violence and adventure more than, say... a computer game.

I'd hate to look back on my life as I'm about to die and realize that I'd never done anything other than work for somebody else to maintain my standard of living. With MA, I can at least say I did SOMETHING that most people haven't.

It's also just plain fun.

- Skummer -

If you think you can speak about Tao, it is clear you don't know what you're talking about.
    -Lao Tzu
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast