Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 6:55am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It keeps stalling out for me after a few seconds. The part I saw looked pretty good except for the elbows. Maybe you have a different intent but I've never seen anyone land an elbow from that far out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 7:50am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    It keeps stalling out for me after a few seconds. The part I saw looked pretty good except for the elbows. Maybe you have a different intent but I've never seen anyone land an elbow from that far out.
    He does what I do. Extend the elbow then fall forward into the bag and pretend it was a strike, he however makes it looks considerably better than I do :D

I guess I'll take this opportunity to ask how much point there is in throwing an elbow while doing bagwork, most elbows I see are throw from the clinch so how much point is there throwing it fro striking distance?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spiking elbow is more of a FMA type thing, and is used as a cover to enter and do damage in the process. Its the same idea behind the crazy monkey/tool destruction/SPEAR type stuff where a wide hook or straight can be countered by covering and moving in. I can't really land them against people that are good, but it works against people that are really open, or charging in mindlessy like bad guys in a Stephen Segal movie. Although it lacks finess, another way I've used it is against someone intent on clinching and throwing knees. If I am in their necktie, I get one hand around their head on the inside, then spike the chest with the other before reaching around the head to secure my necktie.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Do you not like it for kicking because of the shape or the weight ?
    The weight of it move it in kind of a weird way if you use a thigh height kick, and I dislike it for round kicks in general. It is a good bag for front and side kicks, and good for spinning rear kicks. I prefer practicing kicking with the heavier bag at my school because it doesn't sway and allows for low kicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Thanks for sharing , and for not doing TKD .
    I also avoided making a montage of me beating inanimate objects while techno or metal plays in the background.

Genius

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    **** off, Thaiboxerken. Showing one frame from a work out on a punching bag makes you sound smart?
    No, it just shows that his hands were down. His hands were down quite a bit, actually.

Looks good to me.
    This says more about you than me.

Working the bag has nothing to do with guarding, IMO.
    You are correct, however, practicing bad habits only enforces bad habits. Sure, the bag won't hit back, that's why it's easy to start dropping the hands when doing bag work. Besides, the poster offered himself up for criticism and graciously accepted the one thing I pointed out. Notice that I commented on how he has a nice snap to the punches and power. I wasn't trying to be a dick.

Spar if you want to work your guard.
    It really depends on who you spar. Padwork is better for training a person to keep their hands up, I think.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 1:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that video on your myspace page you too? This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS1WiA8Lp-M

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't watch the first clip fully. It keeps stalling forever for some reason :(
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever, dude. Perhaps I'm just tired of people saying the generic "your hands are down" line.

Everyone needs to work on keeping their hands up, perhaps we just need a sticky that says: Your hands are down, KEEP EM UP!

Genius

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people don't realize how much their hands are down unless it's pointed out to them. I thought I kept my hands up pretty damn good, until Master Chai hit me a few times while holding pads for me last weekend.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 2:06pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't see that "spiking elbow" doing anything for me. Just never seen it done effectively anyplace accept on a bag I guess. I dig the fact that you throw them in there though. Lots of guys I work with completely forget they have elbows, even kicks in some cases.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast