Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 6:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how to get strong knees and powerfull hips

Hi everyone, im new here, but let me get straight to the point.

I have done Muay Thai and I have injured my knee from being kicked through the pads. and I think its because i wasnt used to it and my strenght in my knee was not conditioned enough, can anyone recomend me some exercises to make my knees stronger.

also exercises for my hips so I get nice kicks from them.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 6:25am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard.

#1 - No way in hell you can get conditioned to "get used to" being hit. There's no secret meditation or herbal tea that will make getting kicked suck less. Don't get kicked / check that kick / hold the pads better.

#2 - to work hips and legs do squats and deadlifts.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 3:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PirateJon is dead right. In fact, if you want to work any part of you're body other than you're chest / shoulders / upper back, for pretty much any activity, Squats and Deadlifts would be the first two to pick.

Stay away from machines. Use the free weights, they are MUCH better at developing joint stability.

Of course, unti lyour knee is healed up, the last two things to do are probably Squats and Deadlifts. Lot of stress on the knee.

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 6:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously wait until your not injured, but squats are GOOD for the knees. in physical therapy they move your knee through the same range of motion a full squat would.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 7:11am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do squats agains a wall with a swiss ball in the small of your back, push back as strong as you can. get your form right then add weight. Do NOT rush it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lots of sex

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not mess with squat form.

That includes swiss balls, smith machines, or your own creativity.

Changes this changes that, and it's usually for the worse in terms of altering shear forces and compression forces etc.

Squats are good as is, provided:

-The form is correct, which is a lenghty explanation it itself
    -They are slow and steady (the pursuit of powerlifting is another matter. For some reason I always have to add that, as chowder-heads always use a generic "powerlifter" as some sort of meaningful anecdote to do this or that)
    -You aren't going completely ass-to-heels. Not saying paralell is the upper-most limit, but using that last bit of the range of motion to bounce your way back up is always tempting.

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good video of simple tricks to get the form right.

http://thefitcast.com/?p=108

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 11:42am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To add to the squat form advice. If you start feel minor to moderate pain in the the lower back or knees doing squats - go back up, its your body telling you that's your limit until you develop stronger joints and muscles. Don't stop doing squats, just keep in mind that is you're lower limit for the time being, even if it isn't parallel.

Also, if you feel you're lower back bow outward, or feel shooting pain - stop, just let the weight drop to the rack (ALWAYS use a squat rack, you can just drop down or out from the weight without hurting anything). Don't go back up like when you start feeling some minor to moderate pain in you're knees or lower back. Its a different problem.

When you bow out, you're body is out of alignment and it can't handle the weight that's on you're shoulders any longer. Going backup with a bowed back is a chronic back problem waiting to happen - even with low weight. After doing squats for a long time, this still might occasionally happen. Its kind of like shanking a kick - it happens, just drop the weight on the rack and don't worry about being embarrassed.

Also, with squats, use low weight and work up, especially with knee issues. PirateJon is dead right. Nothing gets healthy knees stronger faster than squat and deadlift.

yes....

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 9:46am

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_online
    Hi everyone, im new here, but let me get straight to the point.

I have done Muay Thai and I have injured my knee from being kicked through the pads. and I think its because i wasnt used to it and my strenght in my knee was not conditioned enough, can anyone recomend me some exercises to make my knees stronger.

also exercises for my hips so I get nice kicks from them.
    if you want to minimize injury, rotate, open up, and stretch your knees and hips.

rotate standing up

lifting your leg to a 90 degree angle, make circles with your feet clockwise and counter clockwise.

then keeping your knee bent... slowly move your knee so it's pointing to the side then to the front, guiding your calf and foot behind it (it easier to open up the hip if the calf and foot aren't directly under the knee). think of sitting down and opening your legs wide open and then closing them.... only you're standing up and you're doing one leg as opposed to both.

stretch on the ground

laying flat on your back with your legs straight... bring one leg up slowly, dragging your heel against the floor with your foot flexed--you want some resistance. then slowly bring your knee up to your chest and then hug your leg. bring it back down slowly, but don't drag your heel when bringing it back down. this stretches both the front and the back of the knee.

to stretch the hips and open them up further... sit on the floor "indian style" with one leg on top of the other. bring your body forward until your on your knees, and rest your weight on your elbows. it's like the doggystyle position, but your legs are pretzeled. go back to the sitting position... and switch the top leg and do it again.

isolate the muscles you wanna work

yeah... you can do squats, lunges, and deadlifts... but you can also cheat yourself by using other muscles to compensate for the weak ones around your knees. what you want to do is target the ones that specifically support the knee. the best one is to get a small step stool and stand in front of it--you don't want to be facing it--you want it behind you. then put one foot on it, making sure your thighs are parallel, then lift yourself keeping the foot you had on the floor in front of you. you can do this with or without weights. an alternative is going up the stairs backwards slowly, if you've got them.

as for hips... i recommend ballet or pilates. i **** you not. alot of the exercises result in strong flexible hips. in the privacy of your own home, buy a pilates video specifically for hips, thighs, and buns.
    Last edited by fes_fsa; 6/08/2007 9:49am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast