Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 9:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartA
    Well yup.. Ive never heard of it before I saw it in the mag. The instructor had one of his students demonstrating it and reckons it was part of the Hwa-rang's training!!

Me.. I dont know either way!

Stuart
    Wow..I wonder how said instructor came to that conclusion...what vast amounts of historical evidence was present that he was able to come to such a precise analysis:icon_conf

poser

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:55pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your instructor so much as mentions Silla, Goguryuo, or Paekje (sp?), run away.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 11:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless he's talking about Silla Bakery.

They always have cute girls there, and the red bean buns are orgasmic.

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 10:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hae San Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My name is Wesley, and I am a student in the Hae San Martial Arts Association.
    Our founder is Grand Master E.C. Ahn.

One of our black belt suplimental forms is Dando Gae.

You can access a PDF of the movements at http://www.byrontaekwondo.com/Forms/11-3DANDO.pdf

The form has 50 movements.

Our organzation only has this one weapon form. GM Ahn developed his own set of knife fighting techniques he taught speical forces in viet nam. If I remember correctly the form is based on the techniques he taught ROC soldiers and US special forces.

Hope you find the pdf helpful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 9:54am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a small point, fwiw.

A dan do (단 도; lit: "small knife") is a relatively new addition to the Korean catalogue of weapons. As an offense and defensive weapon, the recognized weapon was the "Kal" (갈; short sword) a weapon not altogether unlike the Japanese wakizashi. The item under discussion is quite probably what traditional Korean MA would identify as a "camp knife" and which was most closely associated with what we call "woodcraft" or "camping" here in the States.

From a cultural standpoint, the use of pointy/thrusting weapons tends to fly in the face of Confucian ethic resulting in a general proscription against this tactic. There is also a modest view that thei might at least be a partial explaination of why Korean swords tend to be more blunted in their tips and the preponderance of sword material utilizes slashing rather than thrusting motions. In my own personal opinion, I also wonder if this same proscription is a contributing factor to the use of slashing rather than thrusting attacks when unarmed training turns to disarm material.

Recent revisions and reassessment of the "Ssang GOM" material in the MYTBTJ have caused a rethinking of the dimensions ("2 ft blade") of the KAL used in a pair as well as an examination to understand if the published material may have actually been, at one time, the early equivalent of a single knife form. So far nothing conclusive has been uncovered.
    No real point; just a bit of trivia for your consideration.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 6:17pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    From a cultural standpoint, the use of pointy/thrusting weapons tends to fly in the face of Confucian ethic resulting in a general proscription against this tactic.
    Can you explain this for me a little more? I don't know anything about it, and I'm wondering how/why Confucian ethics proscribe stabbing.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartA
    Well yup.. Ive never heard of it before I saw it in the mag. The instructor had one of his students demonstrating it and reckons it was part of the Hwa-rang's training!!

Me.. I dont know either way!

Stuart
    If this is the form that I am thinking of, I believe this was put together by the HRD people. There is no traditional basis for it and is sad at best. The main reason they put it together was to try and offset one the "renegades" who has been very successful in putting together a knife series http://www.dsystem.com/images/vidclips/DanGumSul2.mpg. It has been said already, but I will say it as well, TKD does not have indigenous knife forms. All forms are derived from and individual person who either put it together themself or brought it in from another art.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:07am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LThornton
    Can you explain this for me a little more? I don't know anything about it, and I'm wondering how/why Confucian ethics proscribe stabbing.
    To understand this you must understand the basis of Confucianism. This religion strived to be more civilized and scholary. The use of fighting skills of any kind was considered to be of lower class. Stabbing was looked upon as a barbaric act.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12