Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 9:55pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightin Penguin
    How can I not put Tai chi and Aikido in the same boat? They are both internal and passive martial arts haivng the vchi bullshit attached to them, for the most part. Of course there are schools of each of these arts that don't teach chi, but you know what I mean. They both have wrist locks and throws, right? Especially Aikido. Hell, the Tang Soo Do dojo I used to train at (it's still there) is called "Summit Karate Club". TSD is not karate, but it is VERY similar. Moreso to eachother than Aikido and Tai Chi Chuan are.

And now, a few emoticons for my own ammusement:

:new_2guns :5flowerfa :kiss: :snorting:
    That's like saying boxing and MMA are in the same boat because they're both violent and involve guys punching each other.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:38pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I agree - there's a genuine problem with personal eccentricities being passed off as insight.

But some traditions see martial arts as more than fighting.

For example, if you study gendai budo (e.g. Karate), you're signing up for more than fighting. The philosophy is part and parcel of the tradition (young as it is). Many of the founders and masters saw it as essential to the art (e.g. Funakoshi, Yamaguchi, Oyama). Kano's philosophical works are actually quite impressive (he was, after all, a senior educator).

I'm not suggesting the philosophy's always cogent or illuminating, but it's not necessarily superfluous either.

I think people should start handing out copies of "The Portable Aristotle" with every gym visit. How's that for blending philosophy and martial arts?
    --
    L.

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there should be some kind of foreground between philosophy in the martial arts. I mean, obviously you shouldnt be telling kids to follow Bushido or something, and constantly bring honor and b/s into a fight. Then again I also think its wrong to just let students do as they please when their being taught how to fight. Its not the teachers resposability really, but still their should be some guide lines, basic ones, between "stuff you should do" and "stuff you shouldnt do".

Stallowned!

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:53pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    I think there should be some kind of foreground between philosophy in the martial arts. I mean, obviously you shouldnt be telling kids to follow Bushido or something, and constantly bring honor and b/s into a fight. Then again I also think its wrong to just let students do as they please when their being taught how to fight. Its not the teachers resposability really, but still their should be some guide lines, basic ones, between "stuff you should do" and "stuff you shouldnt do".
    I thought that's what the US legal system is for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 12:06am

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    That's like saying boxing and MMA are in the same boat because they're both violent and involve guys punching each other.
    I see more comparisons between pro wrestling (especially Japanese puroresu) and MMA than boxing and MMA. Remember, Pancrase was a pro wrestling company before it became Pancrase (Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi. Same thing can probably be said about PRIDE being a successor to UWFi) Then again, Dana White himself has stated that MMA (more specifically, his UFC) is more like boxing than anything else. His words, not mine.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 1:36am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane
    I think people should start handing out copies of "The Portable Aristotle" with every gym visit. How's that for blending philosophy and martial arts?
    Sounds good to me. But they should get Ecce Homo or The Twilight of the Idols as well.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 1:50am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightin Penguin
    Hell, the Tang Soo Do dojo I used to train at (it's still there) is called "Summit Karate Club". TSD is not karate, but it is VERY similar.
    TSD is karate.

Learn to read Hanja.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    TSD is karate.

Learn to read Hanja.
    Ok then. I guess Hanja is Chinese characters? I am familiar with Japanese writing and characters (I can't read much of it, but still). Or is Hanja Korean? Or maybe I should just go on wikipedia and look for myself?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 12:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    唐手道 is read as Karate-do in Japanese and Dangsudo in Korean.

The techniques are the same, the forms are the same. Dangsudo is Korean karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    唐手道 is read as Karate-do in Japanese and Dangsudo in Korean.

The techniques are the same, the forms are the same. Dangsudo is Korean karate.
    I've pretty much always considered Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Dp as Korean karaes anyway. Thanks for the further info.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast